Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-19-2021, 09:08 AM   #961
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I don't think it's the Kindle Vella book he was questioning (but I'll forward your post). He has one (i think) Vella book, and a fistful of print-on-demand activity books for tweens. All a few weeks new.

I see now that he DOES have LookInsides -- but no indicator. Does Amazon add the visual "Look Inside <down arrow>"? They must, since they're all identical. Or does the author add that to his cover pic?
As Paul said, Amazon adds the arrows.

I would add two things:
  • Amazon is woefully behind in Look Insides and other things; they are still battling this onslaught of no/low-content journals, diaries and the like, and,
  • Does he also have Kindle eBooks for each title up for sale as well? Not Vellas, but the corresponding eBook for each of his tween POD books?
You say 'activity' books. Do you mean journals or the like? Books that record activities?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:33 PM   #962
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
As Paul said, Amazon adds the arrows.

I would add two things:
  • Amazon is woefully behind in Look Insides and other things; they are still battling this onslaught of no/low-content journals, diaries and the like, and,
  • Does he also have Kindle eBooks for each title up for sale as well? Not Vellas, but the corresponding eBook for each of his tween POD books?
You say 'activity' books. Do you mean journals or the like? Books that record activities?

Hitch
Nooo, they are more like puzzle books. They wouldn't work on a kindle, but they aren't empty pages either. But you write on or cut out the pages. Definitely not kindle material.

Other than the Vella book. Which, I believe, is only released as Vella. As you said, I guess that's a requirement.

[ And while they are for tweens, I'm about to buy one for my 61 yr old neighbor, who was enthralled with my copy. My copy, I'm going to find a tween who wants it. ]

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 08-19-2021 at 04:36 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:01 PM   #963
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ah, the words "Look Inside <arrow>" have now appeared too. Yesterday, the look inside ability was there, but not the words. Today, the words are there, letting people know to try it. Progress!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:13 PM   #964
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ah, the words "Look Inside <arrow>" have now appeared too. Yesterday, the look inside ability was there, but not the words. Today, the words are there, letting people know to try it. Progress!
Alrighty, I'm glad that I eased any concerns for a day or two whilst thou awaited the Coming of the LookInside. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:22 PM   #965
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Re Android - I hate that it auto refreshes when I am just trying to scroll quickly to the top of the page. Is there any way to turn that off?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:28 AM   #966
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Our daughter is home from grad school. (This is not the rant -- it's the first time she's been home since the pandemic lock downs started!) The house just feels more right when we're all home and the kids are in their own beds.

So, she was in her bed, asleep, by midnight. I was the only one still awake and up -- I'm a night owl.

And, at ten minutes before 4AM one of the smoke detectors started chirping its once-a-minute dead battery warning. To make matters even "better" it was the smoke detector in her room!

How do smoke detectors know what time it is? In all my years I've never had a smoke detector battery die while the sun was up. I'm pretty sure they only die between midnight and 6AM. How do they know?

(All of our smoke detectors are on the same circuit. Sometimes, when I replace the battery in one I trigger all the rest. Tonight I got away with it. I'll replace the rest of the batteries during the daylight -- assuming none of the rest die while I'm sleeping!)
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #967
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, Ive only ever had that happen in the early AM too! So frustrating.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:30 PM   #968
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I made the mistake of opening the spam folder on my oldest email address. There must've been hundreds of messages in there.

I don't even use the damn thing anymore. I just keep it open for access to old messages and in case something legitimate actually comes through. That hasn't happened in several months.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #969
4691mls
Wizard

Lately I've noticed an increase in spam not getting caught by the email filters
Old 10-11-2021, 06:59 PM   #970
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I made the mistake of opening the spam folder on my oldest email address. There must've been hundreds of messages in there.

I don't even use the damn thing anymore. I just keep it open for access to old messages and in case something legitimate actually comes through. That hasn't happened in several months.
My oldest email address is the original one provided by my ISP. I use Gmail, and have since it was invitational beta. It polls the ISP address as well as a few others and everything appears in my Gmail Inbox. Gmail is set to have replies made to messages it polled appear to originate from that address.

My old ISP address is now essentially a spam trap. Almost everything sent to me these days is sent to my Gmail account, and Gmail has the best spam filters I've seen, so I no longer care about spam. It gets detected, labeled as Spam, and does not appear in my Inbox. Perhaps one actual spam message a month appears in my Inbox, and Report Spam and I don't see stuff from that source again. (Meanwhile, Gmail auto-deletes stuff labeled Spam after 30 days, but I check for false positives regularly and delete actual spam when I do. (I do, however, collect 419 spam. Some of those entries are unintentionally hilarious.)

My Gmail mail store is a database, searchable by standard Google mechanisms, and one of my research tools, as it stores info not easily findable elsewhere. There are a couple of decades worth of mail in it (I broke down and pay the $2 a month charge for 100GB of Google storage. I'm up to about 25% usage.)

Everyone has their own workflow and process for dealing with email. The above Works For Me.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:02 PM   #971
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Lately I've noticed an increase in spam not getting caught by the email filters
What filters do you use? I haven't seen that.
______
Dennis
Old 10-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #972
4691mls
Wizard

[QUOTE=DMcCunney;4161842]What filters do you use? I haven't seen that.
______
Dennis[/QUOTE

This is mostly happening at work where there is a Norton spam filter. We used to just get an occasional spam email but in the last few weeks there are more. Lots of emails supposedly about jobs.

Edited to add that I also recently was getting a bunch of spam that was incredibly obvious on my personal email - like "visa" but with an apostrophe in the middle of the word, or misspelled version of some major business name. This was using AT&T/Yahoo webmail. That seems to have stopped though.

Last edited by 4691mls; 10-11-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:01 PM   #973
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Adventures in Laptop Land

in which Alice doesn't quite fall down a rabbit hole, but does encounter quirks.

This is not really a vent or rant, but is technology, so...

I finally broke down and got a new laptop. My primary machine is a desktop, and a laptop is for infrequent travel. For a while, I borrowed by SO's laptop when traveling to check email.

My SO decided she needed a new laptop a while back. The one she had been using was an emergency replacement for one that had failed. My go to supplier for computer gear is Cleveland based retailer Micro Center, who opened a location in Brooklyn a while back that is a hop, skip, and jump from me by NYC subway. I can access Micro Center, find what I need, make a purchase, and generally go and pick it up that day. I get an email the order was picked and awaits me.

We were about to travel and were in a hurry. MC had a deal on a Lenovo laptop for $200. Sold. My SO's needs are modest, and the Lenovo more or less met them. But it defined "low end" beginning with a whopping 4GB of RAM, and running Win10 Home. The RAM sweet spot for Win10 is 6GB. That or more and you are okay. Less and you will not have a good experience.

She decided she wanted an upgrade. (I didn't blame her.) MC is a Microsoft Certified refurbisher, and has refurbished off lease ex-corporate machines at excellent prices. (My desktop is one such.) I found her an ex corporate HP laptop at an acceptable price. Among other niceties, it came with 8GB RAM, and a 256GB SSD as boot drive, with Intel 4600 HD graphics on the motherboard. Sold. Performance was an order of magnitude better, and she's a happy camper.

In a spirit of "waste not, want not", I took her old Lenovo and hacked. I replaced the 4GB RAM stick with an 8GB unit, and replaced the SATA drive with a 240GB SSD originally purchased for another machine. Performance became reasonable, and I could coerce Win10 Home into doing what I needed. Unfortunately, it got wet. My SO was pouring me a cup of tea, the mug had a crack, and some of the water got to the laptop. Video went haywire. I put it aside to salvage parts.

Fast forward a bit. One of my hobbies is planning and running literary SF conventions. I'm usually the guy who deals with the venue, but COVID-19 had in person events on hiatus. I found myself on the tech side doing Zoom hosting, as the cons used Zoom Meetings and Webinars to pre4sent virtual events. I learned there is no such thing as enough screen real estate when you do that. I had already added a second 23" monitor to my desktop for that stuff, but more was better.

And we had travel coming up (to an SF con that was virtual last time but in person again this time, where I deal with the hotel.) So off to Micro Center.

The result was a refurb off-lease HP 650 G laptop, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel 4600 HD graphics, and Win10 Pro Cool. The price was about $350, which was reasonable.

I'm in the final stages of configuration. It has a selected subset of what's on the desktop. A lot of software on the desktop is for things I don't expect to do on the laptop. So Win10 Pro, an old version of MS Office,VLC media player, Irfanview picture viewer, Firefox, Chrome and Edge browsers, and current versions of the Zoom and Discord clients, plus a few utilities.

256GB is more than adequate local storage. I have a USB3 external drive enclosure and a variety of USB thumb drives if storage is needed.

One thing I do tend to do when traveling is get eBooks. I use Calibre on the desktop to maintain the master library, with a drive essentially devoted to it. So I got inspired, and installed the Calibre Portable version to a USB3 thumb drive, with a local Calibre library on the drive. I'll run Calibre from the drive, and save collected eBooks to it. Stuff I acquire while traveling will get imported to the master with metadata applied. It's relatively trivial to merge Calibre Libraries, so I can copy the library on the thumb drive to the desktop and merge it with the master. Essentially, I am managing metadata updates. I update metadata when I get the eBooks, and import the eBooks to the master library with that stuff already there, instead of having a pile of updating to do when I'm back home.

A major reason I prefer HP gear is that is it designed for easy service. On the HP Desktop, if I need to fiddle with hardware, I shut it down, pull it out, lay it on its side, press a lever, and that panel comes right off, with easy access to everything in it. The HP laptop is almost as convenient. The Lenovo was a cast iron PITA to open and service, and a similar pain to close it up gain, involving about 15 tiny screws of several different types. (The designers appeared to assume the user would not try to roll their own, and would take it to a tech who got paid to deal with that. They are likely right, but meanwhile Lenovo and Dell gear are off my list unless there is no other choice .)

The HP has two slots for RAM, and can take a max of 16GB in two 8GB sticks. I salvaged the 8GB stick I had put in the Lenovo as well as the 240GB SSD, and hoped I might be able to use the RAM in the HP. As I more or less expected, I couldn't. But opening the laptop revealed a quirk. It had 8GB RAM in the form of a 4GB RAM stick in both slots. So much for adding 8GB to take it to 16GB. I can add an 8GB stick and take it to 12 GB, which I might do, but given the use cases for the machine, adding a second 8GB to bring it to 16GB is likely not worth the cost.

In all, these was relatively painless, and a lot easier than some of the upgrades I've tried to carry out. Remaining quirks consist of beating Win10 Pro into submission, and turning off some MS annoyances (like asking me to DL and run an MS utility to see if the laptop can be upgraded with Win11. I already know it can't and don't care. Win10 meets my needs, and nothing in Win11 is compelling enough to make me get new hardware.)

(For that matter, I am not concerned about Win10 going out of support in 2025. I have layered defenses, and not getting Critical Updates will not make my local sky fall.)
______
Dennis
Old 10-20-2021, 04:31 PM   #974
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Small tech rant: I'm using a long deprecated program that I've been trying to find a suitable replacement for several years. Unfortunately, most of the ones I've found are software-as-a-service/subscription-based. Ugh.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-20-2021 at 04:50 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #975
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Small tech rant: I'm using a long deprecated program that I've been trying to find a suitable replacement for several years. Unfortunately, most of the ones I've found are software-as-a-service/subscription-based. Ugh.
Tell us what it is? I use an assortment of deprecated programs, and have often found replacements for others that just didn't run any more.
______
Dennis