Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-20-2024, 12:23 PM   #31771
rainerm
Addict
rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rainerm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
1. Li Young Lee's poetry collection titled "Behind My Eyes"--been reading this for a month now, and it's been a fantastic companion; great for breaks at work, for commutes, for breaks from chores and of course for devoted reading sessions. Standard Checklist for Amateur Mystics is particularly excellent.

2. Chang-rae Lee's "Native Speaker"--just began this one a couple of days back; only 20 pages in. Reading is slow, though that's down to me and not a comment on the book. Sort of reminds me of Pynchon's Vineland plot-wise, but Lee and Pynchon are very different writers at the end of the day.
rainerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:43 AM   #31772
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
INext up: The Hanging Gardens by Ian Rankin. Another Inspector Rebus story.
Excellent. Definitely getting better as the series goes on.

Next up: A re-read: Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton. An in-person book club I'm in is reading this at my suggestion. I hope it's as good as I remember!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:23 AM   #31773
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
1) Just finished The Asylum, by John Harwood. It's was a nice potboiler reminiscent of Wilkie Collins.

But now, some Literature:

2) Currently reading The Dark Side of Skin, by Jeferson Tenório. The book is published by Charco Press. If you like literary fiction in translation, then you should check out this publisher. They even have attractive Subscription packages, but probably only viable if one lives in the UK due to shipping charges.

3) When the above is finished, (today or tomorrow), I'll be reading Every Man a Murderer, (in PDF) by the great Heimito von Doderer. (I was able to remove the yellow color layer from the PDF and now have a very readable copy on my Kindle Scribe.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-25-2024 at 09:35 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:38 AM   #31774
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
40% through Venice: The Remarkable History of the Lagoon City by Dennis Romano. A fascinating read that is making me wish I could revisit the city that left me distinctly underwhelmed on my two fleeting visits.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 02:00 PM   #31775
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Then I read the first of Seanan McGuire's Incryptid series, Discount Armageddon. Another fun urban fantasy series, but (as far as I can see) a different universe to her October Daye series, which is good.
If people have interest in the short stories and are having problems finding them on her website, this might help:

https://www.seananmcguire.com/galler...guide/?C=S;O=A
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:42 PM   #31776
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
40% through Venice: The Remarkable History of the Lagoon City by Dennis Romano. A fascinating read that is making me wish I could revisit the city that left me distinctly underwhelmed on my two fleeting visits.
I'm so glad to have visited Venice, because the pictures of the hordes visiting it these days and the colossal cruise ships anchored outside the lagoon make it seem absolutely horrible.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:01 PM   #31777
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Look what happened when I was reading my Robin Cook! The chances against this must be astronomical- and what makes it even more amazing is that this book is set after the pandemic, so it must be actually TODAY, not just the same date and time in a previous year.
That was cool!

I read Cell by Robin Cook recently. Hard to put that one down.

Recently finished: A Date with Murder by Jessica Fletcher (Donald Bain/Jon Landon). Last book with Donald Bain. Not sure I like the new edge though.

Also finished: Live and Let Die by Ian Flemming. Loved it.

Currently reading The Eagles Conquest by Simon Scarrow, book 2 of Eagles of the Empire - historical fiction from Roman era invasion of Britain.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-26-2024 at 10:05 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:18 AM   #31778
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm so glad to have visited Venice, because the pictures of the hordes visiting it these days and the colossal cruise ships anchored outside the lagoon make it seem absolutely horrible.
Yes, the residents have my profound sympathies - for a city with such a proud history to be reduced to a day-stop Disneyland must be difficult to swallow and make any sort of ordinary life vexing.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #31779
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Next up: A re-read: Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton. An in-person book club I'm in is reading this at my suggestion. I hope it's as good as I remember!
It was as good or better than I remembered. And I'm glad to say that two or three people at the book club really liked it. And no-one hated it. Or perhaps they didn't turn up to the meeting!

Next I tried to read The Hanson-Yudkowsky AI-Foom Debate a freebie I picked up some time ago because it sounded interesting. It wasn't. A lot of fact-free waffle.

Now I'm reading The Complete Short Stories: The 1950s by Brian Aldiss. Yes, all his short fiction from the 1950s. 826 pages!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #31780
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
It was as good or better than I remembered. And I'm glad to say that two or three people at the book club really liked it. And no-one hated it. Or perhaps they didn't turn up to the meeting!

Next I tried to read The Hanson-Yudkowsky AI-Foom Debate a freebie I picked up some time ago because it sounded interesting. It wasn't. A lot of fact-free waffle.

Now I'm reading The Complete Short Stories: The 1950s by Brian Aldiss. Yes, all his short fiction from the 1950s. 826 pages!
Thanks for the reminder -- that's been on my back brain list but somehow never acquired. On a short wait list at the library now.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #31781
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I finished reading The Dark Side of Skin, by Jeferson Tenório.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, if you enjoy serious literature that tackles questions of race and identity.

Available in translation from Charco Press.

-----------

Now starting Every Man a Murderer, by Heimito von Doderer.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:06 AM   #31782
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I'm re-reading Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei (English translation: Goodbye, Mr. Despair [Subtitle: The Power of Negative Thinking). It is a satire featuring a super-negative teacher who presides over a classroom full of very unusual students, each with their own quirks (such as one that is super-positive, another who can only communicate via text messaging, one who is a super-stalker, and another who is prematurely bald and can only be sensed when he uncovers his bald spot). It's a very funny series.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote