Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2023, 06:29 AM   #1
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
How can I send a complex EPUB file via Send Kindle?

I was trying to send Python documentation that is available as an epub file here: https://docs.python.org/3/download.html

The file is not large (~7 MB) but very complex (many internal links and files).

I tried to send it via Send To Kindle (web or PC) and for several minutes I got a "Processing" message and finally "Failed. Please retry".

I also tried using Calibre to simplify the structure of this file, but to no avail.

Does anyone have an idea?
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 09:19 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
I was trying to send Python documentation that is available as an epub file here: https://docs.python.org/3/download.html

The file is not large (~7 MB) but very complex (many internal links and files).

I tried to send it via Send To Kindle (web or PC) and for several minutes I got a "Processing" message and finally "Failed. Please retry".

I also tried using Calibre to simplify the structure of this file, but to no avail.

Does anyone have an idea?
Use calibre to convert it to KF8 (AZW3) and send that to your Kindle. Send-to-Kindle is a mess and calibre really does work much better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2023, 12:06 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
kindlegen was unable to convert to KF8/azw3

The kindlegen log file is attached.

Spoiler:

Code:
 Amazon kindlegen(Linux) V2.9 build 1028-0897292 
 A command line e-book compiler
 Copyright Amazon.com and its Affiliates 2014

Info:I9018:option: -donotaddsource: Source files will not be added^M
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Title        "Python"^M
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Date         "2023-12-16T12:19:19Z"^M
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Creator      "Python Documentation Authors"^M
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Publisher    "Python Software Foundation"^M
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Contributor  "unknown"^M
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Rights       "2001-2023, Python Software Foundation"^M
Info(prcgen):I1047: Added metadata dc:Description  "unknown"^M
Info(prcgen):I1002: Parsing files  0000515^M
Warning(htmlprocessor):W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: 'max-width' in file: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/_static/epub.css^M
Warning(htmlprocessor):W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: 'overflow' in file: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/_static/epub.css^M
Warning(htmlprocessor):W28001: CSS style specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Removing the CSS property: 'overflow-y' in file: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/_static/epub.css^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29007: Rejected unknown tag: <abbr>^M
      in file: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/whatsnew/3.7.xhtml     line: 0000951^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29007: Rejected unknown tag: <abbr>^M
      in file: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/whatsnew/3.7.xhtml     line: 0001023^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29006: Tag rejected: <yury magic.io="">^M
      in file: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/whatsnew/3.6.xhtml     line: 0000013^M
      in file: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/whatsnew/3.6.xhtml     line: 0000016^M
      in file: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/whatsnew/3.5.xhtml     line: 0000013^M
      in file: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/whatsnew/3.5.xhtml     line: 0000016^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29007: Rejected unknown tag: <dl class="py attribute">^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0004708^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: <dd>^M
      in file: <dl class="py method">     line: 0000138^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: <dl class="simple">^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: <li>^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: <ul class="simple">^M
      in file: <dl class="py method">     line: 0000185^M
      in file: <dl class="py method">     line: 0000699^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: <dl class="py attribute">^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0001692^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0001707^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: <dl class="simple">^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0001718^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0000469^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: <dl class="py attribute">^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0000693^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0000729^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0000992^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0000995^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0001609^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0001609^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0001758^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0001758^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/library/importlib.resources.abc.xhtml^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0001226^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: <dl class="py method">^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0001226^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0001351^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0001351^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0002505^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: <dl class="py method">^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0002505^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0002588^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/library/importlib.metadata.xhtml^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0002588^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/library/sys_path_init.xhtml^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0003825^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/library/language.xhtml^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0003825^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/library/ast.xhtml^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0004289^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0004289^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0004543^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0004543^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29007: Rejected unknown tag: <dl class="py attribute">^M
      in file: <dd>     line: 0004671^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0000137^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0000137^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0000283^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0000283^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0000409^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0000409^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0000508^M
Warning(inputpreprocessor):W29004: Forcefully closed opened Tag: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/library/symtable.xhtml^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0000508^M
      in file: <dl class="py attribute">     line: 0000557^M
Warning(htmlprocessor):W27004: HTML tag specified in content is not supported by Kindle readers. Please do not use: 'details' in file: /tmp/mobi-SSHuJG/library/typing.xhtml^M
Error(core):E1003: Unknown error in class String.^M
Error(parsing):E3013: More number of characters are hidden using display:none than allowed limit. Limit: 10000  in file: 10000 line: 10000^M

You might be better off starting with the plain text and making an ebook.
Attached Files
File Type: gz kindlegen.log.gz (1.2 KB, 46 views)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 12:06 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The epub has a number of errors in it (for example using Run check in calibre's ebook-edit). It also fails epubcheck (38 fatals, 1744 errors, 1 warning).

I tried importing HTML version and converting that to ePub with calibre. This also failed to check out.

Needless to say Kindle Previewer 3 also fails to convert: if this fails, Send To Kindle won't like it either.

It isn't clear what it will take to fix all of these errors, but until you do, Send To Kindle isn't going to be able to handle it.

Converting to AZW3 should let you side load and read it. I was able to convert it with calibre, (took around 15 minutes) but calibre viewer isn't able to open it (I gave it about 5 minutes). It does open on my Scribe and the links, ToC etc. seem to work okay.

That said, it is not clear this is more useful than just using a web browser when you need to look up some Python topic.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-16-2023 at 12:43 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 12:44 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Converting to AZW3 should let you side load and read it. I was able to convert it with calibre, (took around 15 minutes) but calibre viewer isn't able to open it (I gave it about 5 minutes).
The Calibre viewer reads only epubs natively, every other format it has to convert on the fly. So if it took 15 minutes to convert the epub to azw3, the viewer will take about as long to open the azw3.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2023, 03:39 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
That said, it is not clear this is more useful than just using a web browser when you need to look up some Python topic.
Unless you are "off-grid" or no internet for some other reason. But I agree, it's the kind of thing the Internet is good for and if you are doing python, then you are at a desktop computer, not just an ereader, tablet or phone.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 07:02 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Not only is this a complex ePub, it is riddled with errors, for instance, in the download chapter, they left out the leading portion of the download URLs and epubcheck was very unhappy with the ePub.

i.e. archives/python-3.12.1-docs.epub instead of https://docs.python.org/3/archives/p...12.1-docs.epub.

For what it may be worth, calibre on my desktop converted the ePub to azw3 in about 9 minutes spending most of that time sitting at 67%.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 08:17 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
It looks like the python project wants ocumentation bugs reported to
https://github.com/python/cpython/issues

Presumably it is then up to the documentation team to report the bug to whatever package generated the EPUB.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 09:00 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It looks like the python project wants ocumentation bugs reported to
https://github.com/python/cpython/issues

Presumably it is then up to the documentation team to report the bug to whatever package generated the EPUB.
I have filed a bug report but given the slowness of their bug system, I may not live long enough to see any changes.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote