Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-08-2023, 08:06 PM   #91
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For me, Moon+ Reader is atrocious excuse for an epub renderer. To even get Moon+ to make some use of the epub's CSS, you end up digging down multiple menus. And yet, there is a rather vocal crowd proclaiming that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and insisting any issues with Moon+ should be fixed by the epub publishers and not Moon+'s developers.
Moon+ is certainly NOT a favorite of mine! But it obviously has fans.

I usually try to make my epub3s such that if you strip every speck of CSS away, the book still makes sense.

That way, all the apps that throw CSS to the winds still end up with something readable. It won't look pretty, but folks deserve the right to choose their favorite reading experience.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:22 AM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Moon+ is certainly NOT a favorite of mine! But it obviously has fans.

I usually try to make my epub3s such that if you strip every speck of CSS away, the book still makes sense.

That way, all the apps that throw CSS to the winds still end up with something readable. It won't look pretty, but folks deserve the right to choose their favorite reading experience.
Sorry, but it's impossible to throw away all of the CSS and have the book' formatting look good. That's not possible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2023, 04:20 PM   #93
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but it's impossible to throw away all of the CSS and have the book' formatting look good. That's not possible.
Never said it was. It doesn't look pretty if you toss the CSS. But it does make logical sense and can be understood and read. At least with HTML5 block elements and a modern browser. I wouldn't try it without that in place first.

It's just a method of testing that accounts somewhat for apps that toss CSS to the winds, that's all.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:34 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Never said it was. It doesn't look pretty if you toss the CSS. But it does make logical sense and can be understood and read. At least with HTML5 block elements and a modern browser. I wouldn't try it without that in place first.

It's just a method of testing that accounts somewhat for apps that toss CSS to the winds, that's all.
What accounts for reading apps that toss the CSS is LAZINESS on the part of the programmer(s).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote