Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-12-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
Lucky113
Lucky113 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
How can I save Calibre converstion by eBook name ONLY?

After converting ebook with Calibre (to any type), does anyone know how I can get the output file to save ONLY by the ebook name? Right now, when I convert and save an ebook, it saves it in Author Name folder, then Ebook name folder, then by Ebook name. How can I change this?
Lucky113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You cannot. calibre automatically uses its own filename system for the ebooks in its library.

If you like, you can use Save-to-Disk to save the book using whatever naming scheme you wish, alternatively you can use the ebook-convert.exe command-line interface to the conversion utility.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
As eschwartz said, withing the Calibre Library Manager you have no control of the file and folder naming.

If you "export" a book from the Library using the Save to Disk function you can control, via Preferences, how the exported file is named and you can control into which folder (outside of the Library) the exported file goes. This ability of Save to Disk works the same whether it is dealing with the result of a Calibre conversion or with the original book imported into Calibre. Save to Disk does not alter the file and folder naming of the books within the Library.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:38 AM   #4
Lucky113

I'm not sure if you understood my question. I'm not interested in changing the name of the ebook when saving. How can I save the file just by the title first instead of the author name? Right now in the Preferences>Saving to Disk> it's set to author name_sort, therefore, when I save it saves in author name folder first, then ebook name folder next.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:13 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky113 View Post
I'm not sure if you understood my question. I'm not interested in changing the name of the ebook when saving. How can I save the file just by the title first instead of the author name? Right now in the Preferences>Saving to Disk> it's set to author name_sort, therefore, when I save it saves in author name folder first, then ebook name folder next.
I don't think you are understanding the topic
All the set-able options are for DEVICES, not the Library

For devices, the template rules are shown: no slash, no folder level (the factory default)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2016, 08:31 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I am not sure you understood our answer. Or else you aren't communicating your question in an effective manner.

You are not allowed to change the filename when converting and keeping your book in calibre.

The "workaround" is that you are allowed to change the filename to whatever you want in Preferences ==> Saving to Disk, which will take effect when exporting books out of calibre via the Save-to-Disk toolbar button.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
If you use the command line program ebook-convert you can name the output file to whatever you want and put it where you want it e.g.

Code:
ebook-convert "%homepath%\downloads\bleak house.mobi" "F:\books\pride and prejudice.epub"
But if you want to use the library manager GUI, then the structure and names of the folders and files are determined by the library management software. Much the same as the librarian in a bricks and mortar library decides which books are put on what shelves etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I think he actually doesn't mind what the names are in the calibre library.

He just wants to have a different template when saving/exporting the book from the library, which can be set in Preferences->Save To Disk.

As he wants the title only, without folders or anything, it think this may actually be sufficient as a template:

Code:
{title}
edit: Tested, and working. Just use {title} as the save to disk template. Then, when you export a book, it will just have the title as a filename (and the extension of the format, such as .epub, obviously).

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-13-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #9
Lucky113

Thank you Katsunami for understanding my question and giving me a solution. Much appreciated!
Old 09-14-2016, 07:23 AM   #10
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
You're welcome
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #11
Al Adams
eBook Reader Nut
Al Adams began at the beginning.

Device: NookSimple Touch & 5 Android Tablet(s), & Personal Computer...
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I think he actually doesn't mind what the names are in the calibre library.

He just wants to have a different template when saving/exporting the book from the library, which can be set in Preferences->Save To Disk.

As he wants the title only, without folders or anything, it think this may actually be sufficient as a template:

Code:
{title}
edit: Tested, and working. Just use {title} as the save to disk template. Then, when you export a book, it will just have the title as a filename (and the extension of the format, such as .epub, obviously).

This is a Great Why to Send books to My nook Simple Touch, Thanks and is There a "Recipe" List for these Somewhere ??? Al
Al Adams is offline   Reply With Quote