Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
irishtexmex
Enthusiast
irishtexmex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voygae (Old: B&N Nook ST)
Question Calibre, Whispersync, Image/cover, [EBOK]

I know there is some proper ordering of steps that successfully involves all of these things, but (very frustratingly so) my , Reddit, and MobileReads searches have not come to fruition.

Essentially, I have my own personal collection of ePubs I've managed with Calibre, Nooks, & some other FOSS software. I've since made the switch to the Kindle ecosystem in the last week, and my dream scenario would be able to get these books (converted into *.mobi or *.AZW3 or whatever else I need) into my Kindle Cloud, show up as Books and not Personal Documents, AND have them show the book covers on both my new Voyage and Kindle app on my Android cell phone.

So far I've been able to get my books into the cloud, Whispersync between devices does work, but my covers don't show up on my Voyage despite showing up on my Android app.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited by irishtexmex; 02-06-2015 at 10:27 AM.
irishtexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
The reason your searches have not found the answer is because it doesn't exist. Your looking for the Holy Grail of synching, when you find it let us know! (Currently Amazon allows us something that more resembles the Monty Python version )

P.S.- I would also add preservation of hyphenations to your wish list of synching!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
irishtexmex
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
P.S.- I would also add preservation of hyphenations to your wish list of synching!
My weakness! Hehe, that's what happens when I post while at work with a hundred things running through my mind.

But essentially I have to choose between getting the covers on my Voyage or syncing furthest-read-page between devices/on Whispersync?

I choose Whispersync. I'll always choose Whispersync.

Though I'll longingly stare at book covers from afar. As well as Kobo's feature that changes the screensaver to the cover of whatever book you're reading.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
johnoz123
Enthusiast
johnoz123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's possible to have what you want except you can't have the books in AZW3 (they must be in mobi format) and they will always show up as Personal Documents, with covers. This is what works for me:

-In Calibre I convert my epubs to mobi using default settings
-I then email or use Send to Kindle to send the mobi file to my Amazon account.
-If book cover doesn't arrive on my PW then I reconvert mobi to mobi delete the cover-less book from everywhere and resend the newly converted mobi.

Doing this I am able to sync furthest page read between kindle apps on my iphone, ipad and my kindle PW2

PS Some additional info here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=37

Good luck.

Last edited by johnoz123; 02-06-2015 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling mistook and PS
johnoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:50 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Great cover on the Copperfield.

Which purchased version is this?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sideloaded books, whether AZW3 or MOBI, will always display covers, and calibre can set them to not show the Personal banner by setting the cdetype to EBOK. But of course they won't sync.

If you send them to your Kindle email, in order to get whispersync, you can send only .mobis, but that can be old MOBI or dual-MOBI.

A dual-MOBI will be split, and send AZW3 to supported devices, and MOBI to the older devices that don't support AZW3.
A MOBI will always be MOBI.

The MOBI will show a cover, the AZW3 will not. Either way, there will be a Personal banner, since no matter what you email them, Amazon will post-process the files to set the cdetype to PDOC.

Hope this helps clear things up.

P.S. quiris has created a helper program to set missing covers for Whispersynced personal documents. See this thread for more details, especially post #14: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212242

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-07-2015 at 08:47 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #7
irishtexmex
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Sideloaded books, whether AZW3 or MOBI, will always display covers, and calibre can set them to not show the Personal banner by setting the cdetype to EBOK. But of course they won't sync.

If you send them to your Kindle email, in order to get whispersync, you can send only .mobis, but that can be old MOBI or dual-MOBI.

A dual-MOBI will be split, and send AZW3 to supported devices, and MOBI to the older devices that don't support AZW3.
A MOBI will always be MOBI.

The MOBI will show a cover, the AZW3 will not. Either way, there will be a Personal banner, since no matter what you email them, Amazon will post-process the files to set the cdetype to PDOC.

Hope this helps clear things up.

P.S. quiris has created a helper program to set missing covers for Whispersynced personal documents. See this thread for more details, especially post #14: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212242
This was an absolutely perfect reply. Everything I needed from a semi-poweruser's perspective. Thanks again for going above & beyond.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You're welcome. My pleasure.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote