Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
il_mix
Enthusiast
il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Touch
Tricky connection to PC

Hi everyone.
Back in the days (don't remember the firmware version), connecting my powered off Kobo Touch to the PC will "partially" turn the device on, so that it displays the "Computer Detected" window with the "CONNECT" button.
Several updates ago, the behavior changed. Now if I plug the USB cable when the Kobo is turned off, the device automatically turns on to the "home page", without displaying the "Computer Detected", so I can't connect it to the PC to upload eBooks (or can I connect the it from the menu or similar?). Instead, I have to turn on the device manually, wait for the "home page", and then connect the USB cable; this way, the "Computer Detected" window appears.
Is this a normal behavior? Is there a way to let the "Computer Detected" window appear when connecting the USB with the device turned off?

Thanks
MIX
il_mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
do you mean its 'sleeping' or powered off? i have never tried to connect to pc when powered off but do so when 'sleeping'
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I just tried it on my Glo turned fully off. When I plugged it into the USB cable, the reader powered on and that looked exactly like powering the reader on when not connected. Then when that step completed, it brought up the usual options to Cancel or Connect. This is on firmware 3.8.0.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried a different USB cable and/or port on the host computer?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:59 AM   #5
il_mix
Enthusiast
il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Hi everyone.
Thanks for the answers.
@bookaho!ic, I mean connecting the Kobo USB when turned off, not in sleeping mode.
@Ripplinger, that's not what happens with my touch. Instead, (I think) it is what was happening in the past. I don't remember if it fully turned on before displaying the connection window, or if the window was a sort of "stand-alone" window that appeared even without the home page in background. BTW, I don't get any connection window now if the Kobo isn't already turned on.
PeterT, different cable, different PC, different OS, same behavior...
Again, firmware 3.8.0. But this is happening since several updates ago (don't remember exaclty when it started).

EDIT:
since the Kobo is physically connected to the PC but not "software connected" (can't press any "connect" button), I don't see the device from PC. Seems obvious, but I point it out anyway.

Last edited by il_mix; 09-30-2014 at 03:02 AM.
Advert
Old 09-30-2014, 03:42 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@il_mix: I have done what you are describing and as far as I can tell, it always boots completely before displaying the connect screen. The last time I did it was over the weekend as I let the battery run out on my Glo. I haven't tried the Touch for a while, but will when I get home. One thing, which version of the Touch? There have been enough changes that the N905 or N905B models might be different to the N905C.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:13 AM   #7
il_mix
Enthusiast

@davidfor, thanks for the info.
I don't know where to check the Kobo Touch version. Maybe the serial number?
Well, I'll list some "Device information":
- Serial Number: [Serial number deleted - MODERATOR]
- Software Version: 3.8.0 (048bb0b071, 8/22/14)

Waiting for updates from your test.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-30-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I've tested with my Touch. From off, if I connect to the PC it starts up, goes to the home screen and immediately prompts to connect.

The model number is on the end of the device with the USB port. From the serial number, yours is either an N905B or N905C. Mine is an N905. If any was going to fail, it would be this version.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Posting a serial number on this site is a dangerous enterprise.

Moderators spend a great deal of time banning spammers and a few bad people [re: infantile behavior, crooks, scammers, spammers, etc.].

Be careful giving out certain information.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #10
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
On bottom right of my my Kobo touch has Model905, yours could have Model905B or Model905C. Model number is not on Settings Device information where you found serial number.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
Goner
Connoisseur
Goner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to behold

Device: ARCHOS 80G9, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1, BeBook Club S, Icarus Reader Go
Also tested on a Touch (N905C) with 3.8.0.
In Powered Off mode, when connected to a PC the smiley Kobo appears with the 5 flashing squares and then 'Computer detected' with the 'cancel' and 'connect' buttons. Cancel gives me the Kobo menu and connect gives 'connected and charging'.
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
il_mix
Enthusiast

Sorry for posting the serial; didn't know it was such a sensible info...

My model is N905C.
The behavior described by Goner (who's using same device model with same firmware version) looks similar to what I had back in the days (connect window appears after Kobo smiling, but before the Kobo home page).
But, damn, now it's behaving funny...

Any idea?

Thanks
MIX
Old 09-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
il_mix
Enthusiast

TEST REPORT
I see the described behavior when the SD card is connected and the Kobo was turned off while reading a book on the SD card.

So, I tried to disconnect the SD card, and now, plugging the USB when the Kobo is turned off, the Kobo smiley appears, followed by the connect window (also, Kobo home appears in the background). So it behave like the old days.

Second test, connected the SD card, opened a book ON THE DEVICE (not on SD card), turned the device off. When plugging in the USB, again, the connect window won't appear.

So, it looks like the SD card is doing something.
I'm using a 32GB SD card .
IMPORTANT NOTE: I've always used this SD card. So with old firmwares and same SD card the device worked as expected (connect window appears when connecting the USB with device turned off)

Can you kindly perform these tests and share the results?

Thanks!
MIX

Tags
connection, usb