Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
hag77
hag77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app (Hisense Sero 7 Pro)
Possible to add time left in chapter?

I use calibre for adding any non Amazon store books to my kindle app. I noticed that the newest mobi file I sent did not have the "time left in chapter" which is a feature I really like. I just started using this app, as a matter of fact, this is my 2nd book I'm reading on this app/device. The first book had the "minutes left in chapter" in the lower left corner, this one only has the location and overall percentage. When you tap it, it either gives you the one option or disappears. I'm guessing that metadata, or whatever it may, is just missing from that file. Is there any way to run it through calibre with an option to add it? Thanks!

Last edited by hag77; 07-15-2014 at 11:22 PM.
hag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Does the book have properly-defined chapters? i.e. what do you see in the Go To menu?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2014, 04:04 AM   #3
hag77

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Does the book have properly-defined chapters? i.e. what do you see in the Go To menu?
"Go to" just prompts me to enter a page number, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it was for the last book I read too.. Underneath "Go to" on the kindle menu- I do see all of the chapters, dedication, etc which do work when I tap them. So yea, it seems like all of the chapters are defined and recognized by the app.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
hag77

For a test- I converted the mobi to epub and sent it to my ipad w/ the content server.. iBooks sees the chapters and tells me how many pages are remaining in the chapter. So I really can't figure out why the kindle app isn't giving the me the "minutes remaining in chapter".. Maybe I'll try converting the converted epub back to a mobi??
Old 07-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Maybe... I don't know much about the app, though.

It always works first time on my Kindle e-ink.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
hag77

Didn't work- I converted it back to mobi from epub, and it still only shows overall progress or nothing.. Kinda frustrating but hopefully I won't run into this a lot on other books. Any other suggestions are welcome!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
hag77

I'm looking at some other sections on this forum that may be helpful (kindle, android, other formats) but I don't know if it's frowned upon to double post over there w/ same topic?
Old 07-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just tap on the location to change the display to time left. At least that's how its done on the Kindle PaperWhite. never used amazon's android app.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:48 PM   #9
hag77

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just tap on the location to change the display to time left. At least that's how its done on the Kindle PaperWhite. never used amazon's android app.
Yea unfortunately that's exactly how it worked for the first book I read with the app.. For my 2nd book that I'm currently on, it only gives me the overall location, rather than per chapter (if I tap to try to toggle, it just turns off/goes away all together). I was hoping there was something I could maybe add with calibre that the file was missing, but so far no luck.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:56 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It has nothing to do with file contents. As far as I know it simply uses the entries from the table of contents. So as long as the table of contents has more than on top-level chapter it should work. Though with amazon, who knows.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #11
hag77

Thanks for the reply. Really bizarre behavior since all the chapters are "clickable" and work fine from the TOC.. In the end I'm not tied to the kindle app, just looking for a reliable android reader that will consistently give me "per chapter" progress whether it's minutes or pages. I'm a night reader, so I like to know when I should call it quits for the night. Thanks btw for creating such a fabulous book manager/converter in calibre.

Last edited by hag77; 07-17-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:30 AM   #12
hag77

Ok- so hopefully this is my last post on this topic, and I hope it helps anyone else out looking for an answer.. I actually got back my "minutes in chapter" by trying something stupid, but it worked. I just started quickly scrolling through pages as fast as I could for about 7 seconds or so.. Then, when I touched the location in the lower left, my minutes option was back! Now, it was flawed because I had been speeding through pages, but as I went back to my normal reading speed it pretty quickly got back to the correct minute estimate..

I have no idea why the option was not returning with my regular reading speed, but apparently going nuts on turning pages for a few seconds brings it back.. Thanks again to those who replied and again- I hope this helps someone else out.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #13
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
The display of the "time left" might be a variable that is only generated in real time, based on a few "page turns" while you're reading. The software might recognize scrolling vs reading; ignoring scrolling for purposes of generating the "time left" value.

Glad you were able to find a "fix" for the problem.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote