Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
shahvikram123
shahvikram123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
time left in chapter totally wrong....

So I have a new paperwhite and I'm reading a book but the time left in chapter is totally wrong. Its always a lot lower then what it should be. Why is this and is there a way to reset this?
shahvikram123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Type the following in the search field and hit enter:

;ReadingTimeReset

You will not notice any change until you return to reading the book and it will display "learning reading speed" or some such phrase.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Mine started out okay and was getting the time estimates fairly accurate. Then it suddenly went nuts and cut them down by half or more. I don't see using ;ReadingTimeReset as a good thing if we will have to do this once every week or so. Amazon needs to fix this issue.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Mine started off accurate too and then it went all wonky on me.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Mine started out okay and was getting the time estimates fairly accurate. Then it suddenly went nuts and cut them down by half or more. I don't see using ;ReadingTimeReset as a good thing if we will have to do this once every week or so. Amazon needs to fix this issue.
It depends on the book. Some books have stuff that looks like a chapter, but actually isn't, and then the KPW goes nuts for some time. When you start reading another book with normal chapters, it recovers.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
It depends on the book. Some books have stuff that looks like a chapter, but actually isn't, and then the KPW goes nuts for some time. When you start reading another book with normal chapters, it recovers.
No, I don't think that is my issue as this book looks clean as far as html and toc go. It did well for the first 8 chapters then it lost its mind! The book is huge at almost 1100 pages. Not sure if that matters. I suspect that what you said is true though for wonky designed books, and there are plenty of those out there.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had this issue a few times. I just reset the timer using the above command, and that's it. (Commands like that should be in the manual, ffs!) I've not seen the Kindle stray for many months now.

By the way: it sometimes also can go off beat if you have a few pages that look like chapters; something like some maps in between chapters, or a "Part II" page with a short introduction after that, or something.

If you stay on these pages long enough to make the Kindle "think" that you are reading it (if you go through them quickly, the Kindle "knows" you're flipping, and it wont count), but flip it way before you would normally flip a page, it can bring down your TTR dramatically if you have a few of those pages one after another.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-22-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
By the way: it sometimes also can go off beat if you have a few pages that look like chapters; something like some maps in between chapters, or a "Part II" page with a short introduction after that, or something.

If you stay on these pages long enough to make the Kindle "think" that you are reading it (if you go through them quickly, the Kindle "knows" you're flipping, and it wont count), but flip it way before you would normally flip a page, it can bring down your TTR dramatically if you have a few of those pages one after another.
I seem to have the opposite problem...I'm reading a book and get distracted by something--or am reading in bed and nod off for a little while. I end up staying on the same page longer than normal, giving my KPW2 the impression that I'm a super slow reader.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Yep... That's also possible. Therefore I think a reset function should be built in.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #10
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I'd rather it does what Marvin app does -- tell me how many page turns are left in chapter. That is much more reliable and therefore more useful.

Computer, I'm not paying you to think.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:31 AM   #11
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Don't know how this reading time feature works. When I start a new book it states I need 4 hours to read the book. After several pages this estimate increases until it says 11 hours after several chapters.
Does the reading time get mixed up because I am reading a newspaper every day? There I am reading much faster through articles.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
When I start a new book it states I need 4 hours to read the book. After several pages this estimate increases until it says 11 hours after several chapters.
Mine does the exact same thing. I have wondered if, when you first open a book, the time to read is based on an average of all readers, and then as you read it calculates YOUR reading speed. I am probably a slower reader than average. I know I read slower at the beginning of a book, while I am getting accustomed to the style and characters. Or maybe it starts every book at 4 hours until it calculates your reading speed? I have never seen "calculating time to read" so it has to start with something. Seems like it could calculate based on how many pages/locations per minute I have read on other books. But it doesn't seem to be doing that.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I'd rather it does what Marvin app does -- tell me how many page turns are left in chapter. That is much more reliable and therefore more useful.

Computer, I'm not paying you to think.
Me too, I would much prefer number of pages left or even percentage of chapter left. I can estimate about how fast I read a page without the PW2 helping, or in this case mucking it up.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #14
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

KPW2 can display page numbers... Can you choose by book and chapter?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
KPW2 can display page numbers... Can you choose by book and chapter?
Page numbers don't display at all if your book is modified and turned into a Personal Document. For PDs, you get location numbers. And for Amazon books (unmodified books) page numbers only display if they were put there by the publisher, so not all books have them. Actually most of my books don't have them. Probably too old and were published prior to this feature being added.