Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2024, 01:12 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Scribe to Oasis

I posted previously that I took advantage of the Black Friday sale and bought a Kindle Scribe. I was hoping to use it for PDFs, but the PDF support was really bad. And the effort I had to go through to get an even marginally acceptable PDF was not worth the effort.

So, for now, it's being used as an e-reader. I don't mind the larger size, but I don't really need it either.

My Best Buy return window ends in a few weeks and I was debating returning it and get an Oasis. But I really don't want to deal with a MicroUSB device. Everything else I have is USB-C and it's nice to have everything standardized now.

I went into the office yesterday and a coworker told me his wife got him a Kindle Oasis for Christmas to replace a Paperwhite he had (not sure what generation of PaperWhite,) He said he returned the Oasis because it was very slow.

This makes me hesitate now.

On the one hand, I will get the gorgeous large screen of the Scribe at the price point again. On the other hand, I really like the idea of the Oasis and the physical page turn buttons.

What I would really love is a Scribe with page turn buttons, but that doesn't exist.

I guess I'll keep the Scribe and wait for a new Oasis that has USB-C. I'm kind of surprised they didn't release a new Oasis this year. The Oasis 3 came out in 2019.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:46 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
They might never release a new Oasis at all.

My Oasis (the latest, from 2019) certainly was not slow. It was one of the fastest ereaders I've ever used (and I've used quite a lot). Still, I like my current Kobos more, so I sold the Oasis.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 03:04 PM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

There's a small amount of vendor lock-in with the Kindle. I have a few books not available on other platforms. I DeDRMed them. But that's a cat-and-mouse game with Amazon, it seems.

My perfect Kindle for me was still the Kindle 3/Kindle Keyboard.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:39 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
There's a small amount of vendor lock-in with the Kindle. I have a few books not available on other platforms. I DeDRMed them. But that's a cat-and-mouse game with Amazon, it seems.
That's true. Amazon's ever increasing attempts to lock their users in and retain tight control over everything they do was one of the reasons I moved to Kobos. Not the main one, though (the main reason is that Kobo devices are simply vastly more customizable).

I do still buy from Amazon occasionally and deDRM the books, but not as often as I did 10 or even 5 years ago.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:41 PM   #5
apastuszak
Evangelist

Can you DeDRM Kobo books?
Old 01-03-2024, 03:48 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
Can you DeDRM Kobo books?
Yes, easily. Same with Google Play books.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:11 PM   #7
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I don't really see a speed difference between my Oasis 3 and the newer Paperwhite - maybe slightly different, but not much. They just may not be used to e-ink readers?
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 04:27 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I don't really see a speed difference between my Oasis 3 and the newer Paperwhite - maybe slightly different, but not much. They just may not be used to e-ink readers?
I think what happened is that they downloaded a lot of books at once and tried to use the Oasis while it was indexing them.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:37 PM   #9
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I think what happened is that they downloaded a lot of books at once and tried to use the Oasis while it was indexing them.
Ah, that's probably it
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:19 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kobo, Nook, and Pocketbook all have 7.8" models. I think Amazon will follow suit in the next few months. I think it likely it will have buttons, to give Oasis users a reason to upgrade.

Scribe is the only Kindle I'm reading on. I'm too fond of the others to get rid of them, but they are not making it into my reading rotation.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Kobo, Nook, and Pocketbook all have 7.8" models. I think Amazon will follow suit in the next few months. I think it likely it will have buttons, to give Oasis users a reason to upgrade.

Scribe is the only Kindle I'm reading on. I'm too fond of the others to get rid of them, but they are not making it into my reading rotation.
Currently Kobo does not have a 7.8" model (the Aura One was discontinued years back). The Forma and the Sage (current model) have 8" screens.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 03:41 PM   #12
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Evenso the *reading* speed isn't too bad while it's doing that. The Library can get funky and it'll definitely drain the battery. And the Oasis battery capacity is not great.

I'm hoping they come out with a new Oasis or I'll have to settle for the new Paperwhite when my 9th Gen Oasis kicks the bucket. The thing I don't like about the newest Paperwhite is ONLY that it doesn't have page turn buttons. While I wouldn't say page turn buttons absolutely keep me from flipping pages and accidentally highlighting stuff when I inevitably fall asleep reading, it tends to cut down on it and it's easier on my injured fingers.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 05:20 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Currently Kobo does not have a 7.8" model (the Aura One was discontinued years back). The Forma and the Sage (current model) have 8" screens.
I stand corrected, but only by .2".
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote