Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 11-04-2023, 05:41 PM   #1
RMOP
Connoisseur
RMOP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, TabPRO 8.4, Galaxy Light, Sony PRS-300
.mobi file to MobiPocket on Palm TX

Just for fun, I started playing w a Palm TX. Got it running w HotSync to my Windows 10 PC. MobiPocket reader is installed on both PC and Palm TX. I have a large (22Mb) .mobi file which loads and reads on the DESKTOP MobiPocket reader, but I can't get my Palm TX to see it. Further, I can't seem to remember how to get it to the TX via HotSync, so had to resort to a simple file copy from the PC to the 128Mb SD Card. Even so, MobiPocket does not see the file on the Palm device. I've placed the file sequentially in:

1) root of SD card
2) in user-created eBooks folder
3) in PALM/Launcher folder

Calibre doesn't see this device either (though I don't think it was ever intended to). And, though the Desktop MobiPocket Reader shows both my PC and a Palm device, though there is no Send To option for the Palm device. AND, yes, MobiPocket sees and reads the default .mobi books on the Palm (Aesop's Fables and Mobipocket Help). So, the app is installed and sees SOME items...

I'd really like to see this book again on my Palm TX. Yeah, I know all about PalmDay 31 DEC 2031...but this is for now. Anyone out there w a long memory? I used to be a whiz w my Palm TX, synching remotedly over a VPN and really making use of it. That was a long time ago...

Many thanks.
RMOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 07:25 PM   #2
RMOP
Connoisseur

Well, with the installation of a slightly later version of the Palm Desktop software v6.2.2 vs 6.0, I at least get a bit of information. When AuthSync ends using that Desktop version, it advises that my .mobi file was NOT copied to my PalmTX because there is no application installed on the Palm which can use the SD Card. The earlier Desktop application may have tried to give notice, but the logs either don't generate or don't open in 6.0 on my PC.

Well, MobiPocket IS installed, and I thought it could read from the SD Card. It's certainly not doing so for me...at least one thread on this site suggests it CAN read from an SD card.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:46 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Palm OS Mobipocket I have can't read mobi files. It can read either kind of pdb files.

Convert the mobi to epub, if there isn't an epub version. Check sanity etc on Calibre viewer of epub.
Convert epub to pdb. Note that neither pdb format understands unicode, so “ ” ‘ ’ € £ and more may be a problem. I forget if I nicely solved the issue.

Later windows, Windows CE, phones and PDAs used mobi and prc formats. The Palm TX seems to have been obsolete at launch (Sold 2005 - 2009) as it runs Palm OS Garnet. There may not be a Mobipocket version for that using mobi/prc.
My Palm Z22 was also very obsolete in 2005 when released. It too Runs PalmOS Garnet and the only Mobipocket versions for it use either "ebook" version of pdb (very primative!).

The Palm TX has a better screen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_TX
The Palm Z22 was crazy for 2005. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z22_(handheld)

Likely a 2001 Nokia can run a Mobipocket that uses mobi/prc. I had the Nokia 9210i in 2001 or 2002. had to give it back in 2004 when I left the company. I don't remember reading ebooks on it, but you could use Word & Excel files!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_9210_Communicator
I used to test fax server installs as it could send and receive faxes via GSM to/from landline numbers/fax machines.

Palm TX seems to have used one of the last Intel ARMs. They sold most of the ARM stuff to Marvell. Xscale may or may not have been based on Strong ARM that Intel got from DEC.

Mobipocket was bought by Amazon in 2005.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-05-2023 at 08:51 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 01:52 PM   #4
RMOP
Connoisseur

It was simpler than saying "Friend' to enter the gate to Moria (apologies to JRR Tolkein).
RE-NAMING the .mobi to .prc resulted in the file being transferred to my Palm TX, where MobiPocket reads it just fine!