Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 05-14-2023, 07:18 AM   #1
hipercol
hipercol began at the beginning.

Device: pw1, aura hd
Finally hit a roadblock with ADE & ACSM on Windows XP. Are there any alternatives?

I would upgrade if I could but that's not an option ($) right now. I use XP for my very basic needs and until a few months (probably) I had no issues getting EPUB files from ACSM. I used Reader for PC (a Sony piece of software) and ADE 2 and 3. I also had the Overdrive software for PC, to get audiobooks. Coincinentally or not, when this stopped working ADE also did (Reader had been inconsistent for long now but occasionaly did work?).

Now, I seem I can't find alternatives:
- Calibre isn't supported past version 2, on Windows XP. DeACSM plugin won't work.
- The standalone of the said plugin throws various errors on Python under XP (2.7 and 3.4) and my abilities aren't beyond than copy pasting commands.
- I have a headless Raspberry Pi server, so no Calibre GUI, with Python up to date and the same standalone plugin version throws different errors than the XP versions but I'm at the same end.

The weird thing is that I tried to get the .acsm content (epub) on another persons pc with Windows 7 (ADE 3.x) and it downloaded no problem. Which leads me to believe it's something with the OS and probably with security certificates and whatnot. Also, when I try the .acsm on my pc, no matter what error it throws, it renders that authorization used because if I try the same .ascm file on the other computer, it shows the license belongs to a different user (or something like that). So, I need to download a "clean" .ascm file and only open in on the pc it can run from (Windows 7).

And this is where I stand. I've been managing using my friends pc but would prefer to keep using mine if there's a fix for Windows XP. As for Calibre, I don't have any issues DeDRM files, not even the Kindle versions I download from Amazon for USB transfer. Nor the ePubs I grab using W7. My issue with .acsm files in XP is getting the content itself. And I can't find any alternative software to get it.
hipercol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 09:16 AM   #2
Leseratte_10
Groupie
Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leseratte_10 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB Era, PB InkPad 3 Pro
Running Windows XP, especially on an internet-connected computer, is less than ideal, as you probably already know. Is there any kind of special applications you're using? If not, is Linux an option?

As for the ACSM files, if both Reader for PC and ADE refuse to work, there's probably not much you can do in terms of "official" support.

In the ACSM plugin thread I've also responded and attached a version of the plugin that should have the standalone scripts fixed (for the Raspberry Pi error you posted), so give these another try and see if that works now.
As for running them on Windows, you'd need to post the error messages you're getting so I or someone else can look into why that happens - I don't really have an XP machine on hand anymore to test this myself.

The latest version that runs on XP seems to be 1.48 - I can't even run that version anymore on a modern system and 2.0.0 changed lots of UI stuff around, so I don't think I'll spend the time making the Calibre plugin work with XP. The standalone version, though, should work with the bug now fixed.

EDIT: Also, for your testing, take a look at https://www.adobe.com/solutions/eboo...k-library.html

That page lets you download a bunch of ACSM files for free that you'll be able to re-download over and over again, so you can test as many systems or applications as you want without eventually running into errors because a file is linked to another account, and then potentially losing a book you've bought.

Last edited by Leseratte_10; 05-14-2023 at 10:51 AM.
Leseratte_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 03:49 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If it's a TLS problem, there's probably nothing you can do to fix your problems on XP. A free option would be to run a Linux distro like Linux Mint so you can either use the Calibre ACSM plugin or run ADE 2.0 in WINE on your current PC without having to spend any money. You didn't specify what error(s) ADE is giving you on XP. Is it failing to fulfill ACSM files without error messages?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 05:59 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Linux is now mostly 64bit, but maybe it's a 64bit PC with XP? If not then you are limited on 32bit CPU to something like Linux Mint 19.1 32 bit with Mate desktop (not current 21.1) and Calibre 5.44 32 bit (not current 6.17).

Calibre 1.48 is what I have on my XP VM. I thought it was 3.48 It's a clone of my 2002 laptop used till 2016!

I have Calibre 3.46 on 64 bit Win7 VM.

I never got ADE to work on WINE, fortunately current plug-in for ACSM doesn't need it. All my Linux PCs and laptops are now 64 bit 21.1 Mint with Mate.

You can have one if you are passing.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-17-2023 at 06:03 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 06:48 PM   #5
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This is how I got ADE to work on Linux Mint 20.3:

Code:
Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 on Linux

1) Install wine-stable from winehq.org
2) Install winbind from Synaptic (for SMB)
3) Install winetricks from Synaptic
4) Install dotnet35 and dotnet35sp1 from winetricks
5) Install ADE 2.0; setup may freeze near the end, so Ctl+C the terminal to kill wine
6) Run winecfg and select the Drives tab; assign a drive letter to the Kobo's mountpoint
   , e.g. /media/user/Kobo eReader -> D:\
7) Under drive type, force drive D to be treated as a floppy drive (for RW access to the Kobo)
8) Open ADE and authorise the PC; close ADE
9) Connect the Kobo
10) Open ADE again and authorise the Kobo
11) Add the ACSM to ADE to get the book
12) Copy the book to the Kobo
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 05:39 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
This is how I got ADE to work on Linux Mint 20.3
But if you have Mint 20.x or later it's 64 bit, current Calibre and plug-ins work and ADE isn't needed at all for ACSM.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:47 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@hipercol Do you think your computer can run Windows 10? If so, I suggest saving up to buy Windows 10. If you think your computer won't run Windows 10, then I suggest saving for a new computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 08:37 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@hipercol Do you think your computer can run Windows 10? If so, I suggest saving up to buy Windows 10. If you think your computer won't run Windows 10, then I suggest saving for a new computer.
The 32 bit Win10 is gone. Windows 11 is out and Win 12 is coming.
It's not worth buying Win10 for an old PC. Better to get a new PC with Windows included, or try Linux.
Since about 2003 most laptops & PCs made will boot a USB stick with Linux to test.