Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #166
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Depends what you expect of Calibre re: the DX ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #167
mcw
mcw began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hi - just to be able to convert the (mostly) .LIT files I have into a kindle-compatible format and send them to the device over USB (with them living alongside any books I've purchased).
mcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #168
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I don't see why there should be a problem - converting should be okay and even if it doesn't recognise the DX you should still be able to do what you need to (even if it means copy from windows).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #169
mcw
mcw began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I don't see why there should be a problem - converting should be okay and even if it doesn't recognise the DX you should still be able to do what you need to (even if it means copy from windows).
Good point -- thanks.

Mark
mcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #170
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, calibre supports the DX Graphite or not. If it isn't being detected for you, follow the instructions at

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...pported-in-app
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #171
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast
Dennisvjames began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
Unhappy Slight challenge with Jetbook update 35m and .7

Well the good news is that with the new update they can read Adobe CRM (Library ebooks) as of July 26. The bad news is that something has changed. I usually download Lit and load into Calibre, then as I put them on to the Jetbook I convert to ePub. Been working fine up to now. the only reason I went to the 35m update is I was having some problems with booting or I would have left things alone.

No longer. Either there is a significant change in Jetbook (the original not the Jetbook lite) or there's a change in Calibre.

I put them up in the Jetbook and I can open and read them in Calibre. Then when I go to open them the jetbook says "failed to open the file."

Any suggestions?

Update: seems that the lits go into Calibre just fine and can be read there. It's that transfer and format change on the fly that seem to not be working. the file says it's an epub but no joy at reading it - failed to read.

Last edited by Dennisvjames; 07-28-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Dennisvjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #172
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You really should ask this in the jetbook forum. I have no had no other reports of calibre epub files not working with devices.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #173
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast

it does read ePub fine (or at least it did). I will try moving it by hand to see what happens. I was thinking you may have had a set up for the Jetbook that did something special when it translated the file and moved it to the Jetbook. They may have changed something that is incompatible with your Jetbook procedure...
Old 07-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #174
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Nope, the only thing jetbook specific calibre does is set the filename
Old 07-29-2010, 10:15 PM   #175
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast

the epubs from calibre read fine if I move by hand...

The epubs created by Calibre work fine in the Jetbook so that is working ok -- when I move the epubs translated by Calibre (from Lit to epub) to the Jetbook the Jetbook opens them fine. I'm thinking that when I updated to 7 somehow the the index or linkage got messed up. I moved the ebooks off the Jetbook to use the SD card to do the update and moved them back on the SD card. Do I need to clear Calibre and start over (reimport the epubs)?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #176
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm not sure I understand. You're saying that if you use Send to device to send the files to the jetbook they dont work (incidentally what exactly do you mean by not work). But, if you copy them by hand, the same files work?
Old 07-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #177
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast

Here's the process

I load (add books) the LIT files into Calibre. I plug my Jetbook into the computer. Calibre recognizes the Jetbook. I then try to Move the ebook files to the Jetbook. Calibre asks if I want to convert them, I say yes, and it moves them to the Jetbook (there are no errors noted). I unplug the Jetbook and turn it on. I see the ebook file, I try to load it. I get the little wait icon (an hour glass), then it says "failed to open the file."

I plug the Jetbook back in, the computer recognizes the Jetbook and I look at the files on the Jetbook. I see the epub files on Jetbook and they look fine. But they will not open.

I can take the same ebook files on my PC that are in the Calibre folder that were converted by Calibre and move them by hand into the root of the Jetbook.

This time when I turn on the Jetbook I can see the ebook(s) and open it fine on the Jetbook.

So, somewhere between the conversion process (converting it from LIT to ePub is successful) and the tranfer process to the Jetbook, something is corrupting the file because if I move that same ePub ebook file (converted to epub prior to the transfter to the Jetbook) and move it to the Jetbook by hand, it works fine.

By the way Calibre .7 is blazing fast compared to earlier versions...

Last edited by Dennisvjames; 07-30-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:35 AM   #178
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Interesting. Try the following:

Take one of the non working files on the jetbook and rename them to test.epub, see if that allows you to open the file.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #179
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast

Smile

I'll check that out this evening.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #180
Pol
Pol began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600SC
Hey Kovid,

I just had to go down to the last 6.X version of Calibre. Every single file I've converted has shown up on my iPad with a 2-5 page page count of blank pages, despite being readable on my Mac.

I literally went back version by version until 6.55.

Just fyi.
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0.7.0, calibre, new release