Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
faina
faina began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox nova 2
Toolbar keep open up in Onyx Boox nova 2

Hello,
I have Onyx Boox nova 2 (Bought it year and a half ago).
Today, while I was reading a book, the toolbar started to open up (the one you open to enable WIFI, set the brighness etc.)
It keeps popping and I cant make it stop. I did not change anything in the device.
it is impossible to read and also this causes the book to freeze.

After it started, I checked if there is an update, there was and I updated the firmaware to: 2021-04-07_15-33_3.1..
But this did not help.

Maybe someone encoutered this problem and knows how to fix this?

Thank you.
faina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:29 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Mmm, maybe a problem with the touch screen, digitizer?
Can you use an app that is landscape? (The "top" area would be different).
Can you get to another app? Do you have ADB working? Can you ADB install an app?
Maybe try UsbMode.apk (in my signature) to see if you're getting phantom touches?
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2021, 03:14 AM   #3
faina

Hello,
I dont know about the screen. I was reding with no problems and suddenly it started popping up and the screen freezes =\
I opened the device, it works fine and after few minutes it starts so i dont think it is the screen.

It happens in landscape too.

it happens when Im trying to read through an application or when I open an epub file using the boox reader.

I thought to do Factory reset, but it is impossible to type in this situation so i dont know if I will be able to sign in the device later.

What is ADB? I dont see your signiture

Thank you
Old 10-29-2021, 06:47 AM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My "sig" (signature) is my big name in the upper left of my posts. Click it for "Renate's homepage". You could install UsbMode.apk directly from there, I never think of that. I use ADB for everything. UsbMode.apk shows at the bottom line any screen touches.

ADB is the USB debugging connection. It's something useful to learn. I won't go through the details because there are a zillion tutorials online, Google "install minimal ADB".
Code:
C:\>adb shell  <-- We're typing to the Windows command line
$ su           <-- We're typing to the Android shell (over ADB)
#              <-- We're typing to the Android *rooted* shell (over ADB)
If you have ADB working you can do a command like this:
Code:
$ cat /dev/input/event1
��{a89��{a85���{a86���{a8J��{a8��{a9������{aJ��{a
That's looking at the touch screen. It's quiet until I poke it with a finger then a binary blob spits out, like it should.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:35 PM   #5
faina

I did factory reset it didnt work
When I am usen the pen it works fine, when Im using fingers it starts again.

Does it mean there is a problem with the screen?
Advert
Old 10-31-2021, 03:50 PM   #6
Renate
Wizard

As we suspected, you probably have a hardware problem.
Have you been scuba diving with your device?
As I said, either get UsbMode.apk or ADB and cat the touch screen so you can see in real time if it's being wonky.
Is this in warranty?
Old 10-31-2021, 04:03 PM   #7
faina

No scuba diving
I almost didn't get it out of the house so I dont understand why it started.I was reading for an hour when it began

I did not really understood how to install it or how to use the UsbMode.apk or ADB =\

No warrenty unfortunatlly . Had one yeat warrenty and of course it happened after one year and 2 month.
It will requeire to change the screen?

Thank you!!
Old 10-31-2021, 04:27 PM   #8
Renate
Wizard

In the laziest solution, it might require you to kill the touch screen and only use the stylus.

My UsbMode.apk never had to deal with multiple sources for touch. I just did an update for that. Note: the Android "Source id" does not directly correlate to the /dev/input/event[whatever]. The easiest way to tell is wiggle and see if something comes out.

Did you try going to my "homepage" and clicking on the "UsbMode-2.2.apk" link? Did it download/install?
Old 11-01-2021, 12:25 AM   #9
faina

I didnt understand how to install it on the ebook
and what I need to do with it in order to see if there is a screen problem
Old 11-01-2021, 07:27 AM   #10
Renate
Wizard

Do you have WiFi? Just go to the website, click on UsbMode.apk. It will download, then give you a chance to open. Open it. It might say that you need to allow for it to install.

It's simple enough. Poke the screen. Do the coordinates appear? When you're not poking the screen do coordinates appear, possibly flashing on and off?

Do you know how to (or have already) enable "Developer Settings"? You go to Settings > Device Info and click on "Build Number" 7 times. Then you can go to Developer Settings and enable "Show Touches".

Getting ADB working is worth the bit of effort it costs. Google "install minimal ADB".

That's 3 different ways to check the touch screen.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #11
faina

Sorry for the delay
I sent the device for a checkup at the laboratory,they told me when in picked it up that it is the screen
but, when I tried earlier to work with it and used the notepad, it works fine
only when I go through the menues or read the toolbar starts to pop up

Is there a possibility that it is a software issue? is there a way meybe to install the OS from the beggining? (reboot to factory setting did not work)

Thank you
Old 11-23-2021, 10:44 AM   #12
Renate
Wizard

I'm confused. Is the device in your hands? Was something done to it? Did you even try UsbMode.apk or the "Show Touches"?
Old 11-23-2021, 01:21 PM   #13
faina

I didn't had a chance to try it because I sent it to the lab.

When they returned it back to me today, they said it is a screen problem
I dont know exactly what they cheked. he told me that he tried to put a diffrnet screen (But not a compatible one) and there still was a problem nut maybe if the right screen will be replaced it will work.

I instlled now the UsbMode-2.3.apk
when I poke the screen with the pen I see the coordinated
when I use y finger nothing
and when I dont touch it there is also nothing
(But the toolbar does not pop out )
Old 11-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #14
faina

Now I got the toolbar to pop when im in the app but it doesnt show coordintes