Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #451
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Have you tried giving it a while once you pull it out of sleep mode? Or tried sleeping it again and waking after removing the interrupter to see what it does?
Based on a ~5min wait after waking, neither clear the freeze - only a power-cycle does it. The good news is that the strange relapse into sleep if the screen isn't touched after ~30seconds after awakening doesn't occur

Quote:
I think the most important thing that's been accomplished, and I give the full credit to Mrs_Often, is that a way has been found to eliminate the discharge if it's just coming about as a result of something interrupting the IR prior to sleep mode getting the IR shut down.
Agreed - a not-too-onerous work-around is good, but it is a fault that needs sorting by Kobo.

Quote:
At least it doesn't seem to be a huge across the board problem, based on how many are discussing it here. Then again, one wonders how many might not be bothered by it, or just so accepting of charging portable devices like phones so often they ignore it?
Reading the comments following a review of the Arc on another site earlier in the week (theregister.co.uk), someone said that they thought the battery life on the Arc was good since they only get ~12 hours from their Touch (or Glo - can't remember at the moment). Someone else responded that the poster had a faulty unit, since, based on his/her model, it should have about three days battery-life! Anecdotal evidence of acceptance of the problem?

Quote:
I wonder if they might just limit their problem by displaying a screen prior to the final sleep screen that warns customers to be sure the screen is untouched for a couple seconds? That is, if they are unable to shut the IR down sooner or ensure it shuts down no matter what. It seems to me there would be a way to confidently ensure the neonode shuts down no matter what unless someone screwed the pooch big time.
Or just say that some covers are not recommended for use with Kobo models ... "Put the responsibility on the owner" is a tried and tested marketing tool!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #452
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
I've been away and I have only skimmed through this thread. I have a burning question and if it has already been covered then I apologise!
Most people would concur that some covers can affect battery performance on the Glo/Touch. What about screen protectors though? Could they have a similar effect and have these tests been carried out on devices with screen protectors?
Erm, that's two questions!
I don't use screen-protectors any more - I didn't like the way they make the screen shiny instead of matt - but I would be surprised if they were to make any difference. If I can find the unused ones (not guaranteed), I'll put one on and give it a try. My initial thought concurs with TechniSol - if a screensaver was going to make a difference, it would act as if the screen was constantly being touched and show odd behaviour whilst reading.
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #453
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Since Kobo has become strangely silent on this issue, I decided a little surgery was in order. I removed the inner pocket material that was hanging on the screen, in the hope that this will mitigate the problem.

I can't say that I'm happy to have to resort to this, and I can't say that I'm happy with the lack of comment from Kobo. Sad too, to see, based on Peakcrew's post, that people are actually accepting this as normal hardware behaviour for an eInk reader.

VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #454
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Since Kobo has become strangely silent on this issue, I decided a little surgery was in order. I removed the inner pocket material that was hanging on the screen, in the hope that this will mitigate the problem.
Has that dealt with the problem?

Quote:
I can't say that I'm happy to have to resort to this, and I can't say that I'm happy with the lack of comment from Kobo. Sad too, to see, based on Peakcrew's post, that people are actually accepting this as normal hardware behaviour for an eInk reader.
I agree, for several reasons, not least because Kobo are going to look quite poor in comparison with other readers. If I heard that other manufacturers e-Ink readers will do a month, but a Kobo will do less than a week, I would be strongly pushed away from Kobo. Which raises another point - has anyone heard if other brands have the same problem with things like pockets interfering with processes? I will do a bit of digging around myself, but it might save time if anyone has any information.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #455
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Has that dealt with the problem?

I agree, for several reasons, not least because Kobo are going to look quite poor in comparison with other readers. If I heard that other manufacturers e-Ink readers will do a month, but a Kobo will do less than a week, I would be strongly pushed away from Kobo. Which raises another point - has anyone heard if other brands have the same problem with things like pockets interfering with processes? I will do a bit of digging around myself, but it might save time if anyone has any information.
Don't know yet, but from what I can see, there's nothing touching the screen now when the cover is closed. There definitely was before. I was trying to eliminate the need to wait +/- 30 second for the sleep to actually kick in - to us, a big inconvenience.

Pulled our old Kobo Wireless out of the drawer. Haven't looked at that in at least 3 months. Battery indicator still shows full charge. Mind you, that's in "Off" mode.

Can't remember the last time I charged my Sony PRS-T1. The GF lost confidence in the Glo, prior to my butchering the cover. Nothing worse than opening your reader away from home, and seeing the Recharge blurb. Hopefully this will hold her for the time being, but I'm still hoping Kobo will come through with a fix.
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 AM   #456
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I agree that Kobo needs to look into this and provide a real fix, but I doubt they'll include it until their next regular firmware upgrade. However, if I were them and there was a possibility of people getting the idea that the battery life was significantly less than the competition's then I'd get ahead of such a problem if I could.

Let's be honest, Kobo has a number of little bugs to field, I'm sure they're trying and they'll get to them. Overall the product works, the screen is tough to beat, and the battery life when the unit is properly slept or shut down is nothing to complain about.

The hard part in all of this is, as usual, the waiting. I'm not excusing them, just trying to deal with the situation as it is like everyone else. Fortunately, most of the bugs are not show shoppers, though some have been preposterous and annoying like people having a gazillion duplicate book shelves. I think they need someone there to act like a real taskmaster and stay on top of all the bugs until they're eradicated and ask the hard questions when definite progress is not being made.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:38 AM   #457
Tintin
Enthusiast
Tintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
I'd just like to say thank you to you guys for identifying this problem. I have now removed my generic cover and battery depletion has been 100% to 93% over 4 days with slighly below average reading, so I am overjoyed! Before that I was recharging every 2 to 3 days.
Before that I thought karma was paying me a visit for sideloading some dodgy epub file!
Now we just have to work out some practical solution for good battery life AND protection. I am thinking ahead to my summer holidays and the rigours of air travel and generally handling of my Kobo in transport etc. I look forward to all your suggestions!
Anyway, once again, hats off to you!!
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #458
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
I think they need someone there to act like a real taskmaster and stay on top of all the bugs until they're eradicated and ask the hard questions when definite progress is not being made.
I think that is my biggest gripe with Kobo - they give the appearance of a "two men in a shed" operation sometimes, even though I know that isn't the case. I have no reason to think that they aren't working hard on this, but it is the same old issue of poor communication. Let's face it, whilst we may not have identified the problem uniquely (perhaps the folks at Kobo had this spotted some time ago), we have done a lot of work to get to where we are. A small posting from someone at Kobo wouldn't hurt - after all, how many returns have we prevented through this?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #459
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
I'd just like to say thank you to you guys for identifying this problem. I have now removed my generic cover and battery depletion has been 100% to 93% over 4 days with slighly below average reading, so I am overjoyed! Before that I was recharging every 2 to 3 days.
Before that I thought karma was paying me a visit for sideloading some dodgy epub file!
Now we just have to work out some practical solution for good battery life AND protection. I am thinking ahead to my summer holidays and the rigours of air travel and generally handling of my Kobo in transport etc. I look forward to all your suggestions!
Anyway, once again, hats off to you!!
Thank you, Tintin!

My recommendation for a cover is the Grand Gadgets Luxury Folio Case Cover (www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006I2NEBQ). It has kept my Touch pristine since I got it, and I tend to carry it in the side pocket of cargo-trousers a lot!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #460
ghudod
Connoisseur
ghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toys

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
I think that is my biggest gripe with Kobo - they give the appearance of a "two men in a shed" operation sometimes, even though I know that isn't the case. I have no reason to think that they aren't working hard on this, but it is the same old issue of poor communication. Let's face it, whilst we may not have identified the problem uniquely (perhaps the folks at Kobo had this spotted some time ago), we have done a lot of work to get to where we are. A small posting from someone at Kobo wouldn't hurt - after all, how many returns have we prevented through this?
There is one basic rule in customer service - manage your customers and their expectations. This is something a lot of companies (including Kobo) are very bad at. How hard would it be to keep people happy by admitting the problem, giving the workarounds, and getting it fixed in a firmware update sooner rather than later?

Much better than getting a poor reputation for customer service and a product that has a battery life measured in days rather than the weeks of your competitor. Reputations stick and are very hard to change once you have them.
ghudod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #461
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Having ongoing issues with rapid battery depletion.

Returned a Glo purchased at Christmas due to this issue. Got a replacement, updated the firmware, and am again having problems. I might add that the sideloaded books on this device cause NO issues on my PRS-T1, nor my GF's Touch.

Here's a calendar of results:

- Fully charged reader on Jan 25 at 6:00 PM and put to sleep. Wireless is off.
- Jan 26 9:00 am 72%
- Jan 27 9:00 am 46%
- Jan 28 4:00 am – Please recharge...
- Jan 28 3:45 pm. Factory reset. Wireless off. Installed a free Kobo ebook (The -Jungle). Went to page 1 of the book and put the device to sleep.
- Jan 29 3:49 am – 96%
- Jan 30 3:54 am – 96%
No issues with this book from Kobo..

- Jan 30 3:00 pm – 96%. Recharged and sideloaded epub w/Calibre
- Jan 31 3:55 am - 100%. Loaded 3 more epubs w/Calibre
- Feb 1 4:00 am – 100%
- Feb 5 1:00 pm – Dead. Charged Touch and put same book on it as test. Changed to a different book then put to sleep
- Feb 6 4:00 am – 91%
- Feb 6 2:38 pm – Glo at 63%. Touch still at 100% after an hour of reading with same book.

It seems evident to me that this unit is having an issue with sideloaded epubs. Note that the same book on the Touch at the same time exhibited no issues. As well, there was NO reading done during this time with the Glo. It sat on a desk, and was only turned on to check battery life.

I'm at my wit's end. This is our 3rd Kobo, and we've had zero issues with the Kobo Wireless and Touch.

Battery issues seem to be a problem with some people, based on other threads. Any ideas as to what I should do? Maybe install an older firmware? Or just contact Kobo, again? Right now, it's a $130 paperweight.
What are you using to side the load the books?
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #462
VelvetElvis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
What are you using to side the load the books?
Calibre. Over 4 years, I've used it on 3 Kobos and 2 Sonys.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #463
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Tintin,

All you have to do for now to use your cover is make sure you sleep the reader manually with the switch and wait for it to shutdown before you close the cover or put it in the case and you should be fine. The issue seems to be allowing something to break the IR beamed over the screen before it can shut down. As long as you prevent that once it's shut down there should be no excessive drain from anything being near the display so your cover should be fine.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #464
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
For those who haven't bought a cover yet and are wondering what to buy, I might just mention here that the official Kobo sleepcover (at least the fabric one) doesn't have a pocket inside the front flap, and doesn't seem to have this issue. So it's not a matter of all sleepcovers not working as designed, but of some interfering.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #465
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Tintin, as TechniSol says, it is simply a matter of a little patience to avoid spending any more money, or taking a Stanley knife to your case.