Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
nyCecilia
Enthusiast
nyCecilia began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge and PE
rooting: What could go wrong?

Hi all,

I keep reading Javese's lcd2eink thread and it sounds like a great script. But I am worried about this rooting thing, as there seem to be warnings against it here and there, but no specifics.

So my question is: What are the disadvantages of rooting?

Thanks for your expertise and input,

c
nyCecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
A lot depends on what you know of the Android operating system.

Fiddle with configuration files and you could well end up with an expensive door stop.

On the other hand if you take care there should be few or no problems.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
nyCecilia
Enthusiast

So then if my objective is to use javese's script and not do anything crazy, theoretically it shouldn't be too risky? assuming, that is, that the desire to fiddle doesn't overcome me... hehe
Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I don't know, that desire to fiddle can be pretty strong!

(Just kidding!)

If you're brave enough to try it let me know how it works for you! I, too, am very interested in what Javese has been doing, but my PE works well enough as it is so i continue to hesitate over taking the next step.

Good luck!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
nyCecilia
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I don't know, that desire to fiddle can be pretty strong!

(Just kidding!)

If you're brave enough to try it let me know how it works for you! I, too, am very interested in what Javese has been doing, but my PE works well enough as it is so i continue to hesitate over taking the next step.

Good luck!
Exactly where I'm stuck at! I like how it works as is, but lcd2eink is really, really tempting...if anyone else could chime in with pros and cons of rooting, or if you did it and something went wrong maybe explain where you went wrong?
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
ilovegadgets
Connoisseur
ilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindles, iPad,Note 8, Note 3, iPhone 5,Sony 350& T1, Entourage PE & EE
I'll let someone more experienced than me give you the pros and cons of rooting, but wanted to give me opinion of Javese's app LCD2eink. His app is truly wonderful. It makes it possible to read e-books from Amazon without having to convert them to e-pub. Read his thread for instructions on how to do it. I LOVE the additional functionality that his app has given me. I don't keep the LCD2eink app running all the time. I just use it when I want to read a Kindle book, but it works great.( It would work for web browsing in the sun too I guess, but I haven't had a need for that yet. I like knowing thast I could though.) I used the Amazon app Z4root to root my PE. It was totally painless. I have had no problems whatsoever with my PE since rooting. Filark, I definitely think you would enjoy LCD2eink based on your other posts in these forums. Go for it! : )
ilovegadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegadgets View Post
Filark, I definitely think you would enjoy LCD2eink based on your other posts in these forums. Go for it! : )
Thanks, ilovegadgets!

I suspect you are right, and will consider rooting and trying LCD2eink after I get home from a week visiting my Mom.

The question is, PE, EE or both?? I see fgruber has success with an EE, but not jmgazer, so maybe some EEs have trouble with it. My EE is my primary Reader, so it would be most useful there.

Thank you for posting your experiences. It helps to visualize how people actually use javese's wizardry!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:05 AM   #8
nyCecilia
Enthusiast

Well, I did it. Rooted device, installed lcd2eink, but now I can't figure out how to use it lololol
Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
teledyn
teledyn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: enTourage Pocket eDGe
Following another thread, I installed the thought-to-be-safe z4root from andapps and now I am stuck in the four-dot coma cycle spoken of in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137965 -- and that was just from running the root app, I didn't even get the fun of messing up system files through my own clumsiness ... so I'd have to say, overall, unless you need an expensive brick, or are at least prepared to own one, stay away from the root.

which is sad, really, considering this is supposed to be open source; I only wanted root so I could add android.l.google.com into the /etc/hosts file as a possible easy and seemingly harmless fix to get gmail to register on ermine-PE. Up to that point, it was a great little device with just that one annoying google-login glitch.
teledyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
teledyn
teledyn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: enTourage Pocket eDGe
Emusan's rebundled dingo update.zip saves the day! https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...77&postcount=2
well, ok, at least until I stray a little close to the edge doing something else really wrecklessly stupid, but then it is called the enTourage EDGE, right?
teledyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
nyCecilia
Enthusiast

Well I seem to have spoken too soon, after the root I have no sound from speakers or headphones

Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyCecilia View Post
Well I seem to have spoken too soon, after the root I have no sound from speakers or headphones

1. Double check sound switch is turned up.
2. In settings, silent mode is not selected and
3. check volume to ensure the settings are not disabled.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #13
nyCecilia
Enthusiast

It was none of those. Apparently a temporary thing, as a cold boot fixed it. Just a little worried as it could happen again and I don't know what caused it to begin with :/

Thanks for the checklist, though