Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 03:33 AM   #1
femto
femto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Tags import problem

I'm using calibre on more than one computer and everytime I'm importing some ebooks from one computer on the other the tags get messed up!

For example:

Tags for an ebook on computer 1 are: Science Fiction, Perry Rhodan

If I import this ebook on computer 2, the two tags are combined forming the following tag: Science Fiction; Perry Rhodan

This is sort of stupid and I've to correct the tags manually!
femto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:51 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
how are you transferring the books from one calibre instance to the other?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 03:52 AM   #3
femto

Drag'n'drop.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use save to disk

and then click the arrow next to the add books button and select add books (one book per folder)

Incidentally what format are the books you're transferring in? MOBI?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
femto

To be correct, for storing the ebooks on the transfer medium I'm using 'Save to disk' but for the import I'm using 'Drag'n'drop'.

Yes, good guess, the ebooks are in PRC format.
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 04:08 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

storing metadata in PRCis lossy, like i said, use the arrow next to add books to re-import the books on your new computer
Old 04-22-2009, 04:12 AM   #7
femto

Sorry to say, but even when I do it the way you explained it to me, the tags get messed up!

Please try it yourself! Get a MOBI/PRC file, add two or more tags, save it do disk and reimport it to the library and voila, the tags are combined into one single tag.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:22 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Works for me. Are you sure you're using the add books from directories One book per directory action?

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-22-2009 at 04:24 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:30 AM   #9
femto

Yes I do, but is doesn't work for me!

Before I export an ebook the tags in the library view are separated by a comma ',', but after the reimport they are combined with a semicolon ';'.

Maybe that's the reason of the problem!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:34 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

the reason for the problem is that mobi files don't have a standard way of representing multiple tags. However, when you use the procedure I described, it reads the metadata from the OPF file instead of the MOBI file, so this problem does not occur.

In any case, I have made a change to the way calibre interprets the tags field in MOBI metadata so this will work even with drag and drop in the next release
Old 04-22-2009, 04:39 AM   #11
femto

Ahh, I understand!

Sorry for the mess, I missed the point and always exported only the PRC format without the OPF file!

Your bugfix for the 'Drag'n'drop' sounds great! Can't wait for it!