Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
Tom8o
Tom8o began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kobo Glo HD no longer sold near me. The new Aura worth it/ alternatives?

Greetings. I made a thread back in June or thereabouts, trying to come to a decision about whether to buy the Kobo Glo HD or the newest Paperwhite. As it turns out, the Glo HD is no longer sold at the only retailer that officially sells it here in Turkey. They've brought in the newest Aura instead- and while I saw no differences offhand, the 212ppi display sounds like a huge deal breaker (especially seeing as they're selling it for a little bit more than the Glo HD).

So the question is, how does the new Aura fare against the Glo HD? Especially the screen worries me. I did handle it at the store myself -the clerk kept saying that the Aura was unequivocally better "because it's newer", heh- and while I prefer its exterior design (the power button, etc.), they all pale in comparison to the considerably worse screen (in terms of specs). Do you think it's worth it (about $140) to get the Aura even with its less crisp screen? Should I track down a Paperwhite 3 or Glo HD instead? Don't want to budge from the 6'' screen size. If so, are there any trusted international retailers I can buy from? (customs will hurt, though...)

Thanks in advance!
Tom8o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Hopefully someone will chime in with experience with the Aura Edition 2, but so far I don't think I've seen anyone on here that had actually purchased one. There was not a lot of excitement for it based on the lower specs and suggested pricing.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2016, 10:16 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Do you have access to a secondhand Glo HD, or an H2O?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:08 PM   #4
Tom8o

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Do you have access to a secondhand Glo HD, or an H2O?
Don't really trust second-hand shopping locally, and while the H2O *is* sold here it's way, way over my budget (and is also too big for my taste).

edit: How about the Kobo Touch? Does the HD screen make up for the lack of backlight compared to the new Aura? That seems to be my only two options at this point.

Last edited by Tom8o; 09-12-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Tom8o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom8o View Post
Don't really trust second-hand shopping locally, and while the H2O *is* sold here it's way, way over my budget (and is also too big for my taste).

edit: How about the Kobo Touch? Does the HD screen make up for the lack of backlight compared to the new Aura? That seems to be my only two options at this point.
Whoops, I meant the Touch 2.0.
Advert
Old 09-13-2016, 12:57 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Quote:
Whoops, I meant the Touch 2.0.
The Touch 2 has an 800x600 resolution screen. The only advantage it has over the Aura Edition 2 is the price.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:22 AM   #7
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
Playing around with it in stores, it seemed better than I expected since the resolution is lower than the Glo HD. I agree that the exterior is a lot sleek and more aesthetically pleasing to my eyes' at least.

If anything, I would wait for a sale to occur. I think its price is a touch high for its specs. I'm honestly considering one myself (either the Aura E2 or PW3 or Voyage) and I'm waiting for a sale or for more reviews to come in first.
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
Tom8o

Welp, after finding it in stock on the retailer's website and a couple lucky breaks, I finally ordered a Kobo Glo HD! Literally the only thing I don't like about it so far (from reading a couple pages on it now and then whenever I have business at a mall) is the power button and how it doesn't have the Kindle store, which is hardly fair criticism.

Psyched. So psyched.