Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
khahoon
Connoisseur
khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: generic
Please help with converting dicts with Penelope ?

Hi

I downloaded couple stardict dictionaries and Penelope tool. However I am having a brain squeeze with penelope`s usage. I used thousands of command line tools but this one is giving me hard time. I do not understand why I need to convert from one language to another one when all I need to convert one format of dictionary to another format of dictionary.

I would appreciate if someone can give me the right command line for what I need.

I want to use norwegian dictionary in Kobo. So i have the dictionary and I want to convert to Kobo format. That is all I need.

thanks
khahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
khahoon
Have you read this?
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Andrewjo
Andrewjo began at the beginning.

Device: none
These are the formats that you can convert From and To.
1. Bookeen Cybook Odyssey (R/W)
2. Kobo (R index only, W unencrypted/unobfuscated only)
3. StarDict (R/W)
4. XML (R/W)
5. CSV (R/W)
Refer here http://code.google.com/p/penelope-dictionary-converter/.
Once you have converted to kobo you can use the Kobo desktop app. I first got to learn about kobo while researching on your topic http://www.techyv.com/questions/kobo...-opening-files.
Andrewjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
khahoon
Connoisseur
khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: generic
Andrewjo

I actually went through both pages before posting here. I could not figure out the right combination command lines and was noit getting anywhere. That is why I was hoping that someone could provide me the right command line from star dict to kobo

thanks
khahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

khahoon
Step-by-step procedure (uses older version of Penelope because it is simpler to use than latest 3.1.3).
For example, you have Norvegian-English dictionary in Stardict format, intending to read Norvegian book and want to look up that dictionary on Kobo reader.
1. Go here and download file penelope_2.0.2.zip.
2. Install Python. I have Python 2.7 installed on Windows 7 64 bit.
3. Download file marisa.zip attached to this post. It containes two Windows executables I built from open source Marisa code. Penelope script invokes these executables. Place them anywhere; I put them to C:\tmp.
4. Unsip Penelope script and place it to folder of your choice. Open file penelope.py (if using Python 2.7)in any text editor, find variables MARISA_BUILD_PATH and MARISA_REVERSE_LOOKUP_PATH and set them to "c:/tmp/marisa-build.exe" and to "c:/tmp/marisa-reverse-lookup.exe" respectively. Save penelopa.py.
5. Copy your StarDict dictionary to the folder with Penelope script. Let the dictionary files be nor_en.dict, nor_en.idx, and nor_en.ifo.
6. Make this Penelope folder current and issue this command:
Code:
python penelope.py -p nor_en -f nor -t en --output-kobo
Here -f provides "from" language and -t "to" language.
7. Run this command. In case of success script creates Kobo dictionary dicthtml-nor-en.zip
Attached Files
File Type: zip marisa.zip (49.7 KB, 1685 views)

Last edited by EbokJunkie; 09-21-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Advert
Old 10-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Ki_
Ki_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I don't understand point 5. and 6.

Where I have to write this code :

python penelope.py -p nor_en -f nor -t en --output-kobo

And where I will find the exported dictionary?
Ki_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
EbokJunkie
Addict

5. You need to find out proper Stardict dictionary somewhere. This dictionary will serve as an input for conversion to Kobo format.
6. This is a command issued at command prompt.
On Windows 7, open Windows explorer, go to a folder level above the Penelope folder, press Shift and simultaneously right click on the Penelope folder icon, select option Open command window here from pull-down menu. This will open black command window with command prompt. Enter the recommended command there.
As far as I remember, exported dictionary will show up at the folder with Penelope script.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
Ki_
Ki_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I think this is impossible!
I tried a lot of times without even a small success.
Can somebody convert this English-Bulgarian dict?
Attached Files
File Type: prc en-bg.prc (5.38 MB, 1052 views)
Ki_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #9
MdBr
MdBr began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Anyone?

I have a KOBO and I would like to read Russian books but there is no dictionary russian-english..

I have been searching everywhere, but can't find anything. Is it possible with this program? Before I start struggling with it.
MdBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdBr View Post
I have a KOBO and I would like to read Russian books but there is no dictionary russian-english..

I have been searching everywhere, but can't find anything. Is it possible with this program? Before I start struggling with it.
This has been discussed in the Kobo forum. To start with have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196925 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194986. They should have the conversion instructions. There is also some info somewhere about adding dictionaries for languages that Kobo do not already support. I'm not sure if it is those threads or a separate thread.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #11
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
I also need help with converting a mobi dictionary (kindle format) to stardict format --if that is at all really possible...

I am pretty much unfamiliar with coding work and unsurprisingly I cannot make penelope work...

Downloaded the package and in Terminal (OSX 10.9), the following command works: python -m penelope.

But that's it

(Tried to install dictzip but failed there: sudo apt-get "command not found" Probably the link I found didn't lead to the right dictzip package... Where does one find the "dictzip executable" the manual refers to?)

If someone has time to write some quick instructions for 10.9, I would be really grateful.

(If relevant: my "ultimate purpose" is to then convert the stardict dictionary to Apple dictionary format with Dictunifier to use multiple Kindle dictionaries on the Desktop)
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:49 AM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevent View Post
I also need help with converting a mobi dictionary (kindle format) to stardict format --if that is at all really possible...
It's possible, but it takes a lot of work and most required tools are only available as Windows versions.
You'll need to de-drm the Kindle dictionary and unpack it with KindleUnpack. Then you'll need to remove the Kindle-specific HTML tags and format everything so that the headword is in one line and the definition in the next one, i.e. a GLS file, and convert it to a StarDict file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevent View Post
(Tried to install dictzip but failed there: sudo apt-get "command not found" Probably the link I found didn't lead to the right dictzip package... Where does one find the "dictzip executable" the manual refers to?)
AFAIK, dictzip is optional. I.e., you probably won't need it at all. In fact, some dictionary programs can't handle compressed StarDict dictionaries. There's no OSX version. (apt-get is a Linux command.)

Also check out PyGlossary, which can generate OSX dictionary source files.

Last edited by Doitsu; 01-28-2016 at 02:55 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:19 AM   #13
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
Doitsu, thank you so much indeed! Apparently, my chances are dim then Pyglossary seems to be a good alternative, I will see if I can do something with it... Many thanks for your help!
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #14
vjjustin
Enthusiast
vjjustin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbokJunkie View Post
khahoon
Step-by-step procedure.
Thank you!! I did not expect it to work, was just trying, but it worked.
1. I couldn't find the penelope.py, so I just used the command in penelope manual/'readme.rst'.
2. I am in wondows, did not know how to set the PATH of marisa files. Just copied the exes in a folder and added the folder address with the --marisa-bin-path. It worked!
3. Someone asked about the input/output languages; even I got the same error that input language missing. I just added with 'en' in both cases. Again, success.

Last edited by vjjustin; 09-21-2017 at 03:15 PM.
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:57 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
2. I am in wondows, did not know how to set the PATH of marisa files.
For future reference, to set the search path in Windows:

1. Run "Control Panel".
2. Run the "System" application.
3. Select "Advanced System Settings".
4. Click the "Environment Variables" button.
5. Edit the PATH variable.

That's the way it's done on both Windows 7, 8, and 10.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote