Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-24-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Suggestion

Hi People!

I was searching a ereader to buy with this features:

-Best readability (8 inch display at least, best resolution, and so on)

-Best popup dictionary (I have a kindle touch and I use it a lot, but I don't know if there's something better than the kindle's one. Presently I'm jumping changing from a dictionary to another when I haven't the meaning!!)

I put an eye on the Kobo Aura One, but I don't know nothing about its popup dictionary and someone tells this ereader has several problems (For example the battery life, but on the other hand I don't use either the wifi or LED)

Which one would you suggest me?
(?Should I wait until december to find special offers or new models?)

Thanks a lot
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
CalbertAmu
Connoisseur
CalbertAmu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I'm also waiting until December hoping to find deals. I have a PW3 and want the KA1 mainly for pdfs using KOreader.

I couldn't find a way to get Oxford dictionaries on the kindle (ODE, NOAD) to the Kobo.

Faulty device with uneven light, green blotches, or anything else isn't a big problem because I can return or replace it within 2 weeks.
CalbertAmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalbertAmu View Post
I'm also waiting until December hoping to find deals. I have a PW3 and want the KA1 mainly for pdfs using KOreader.

I couldn't find a way to get Oxford dictionaries on the kindle (ODE, NOAD) to the Kobo.

Faulty device with uneven light, green blotches, or anything else isn't a big problem because I can return or replace it within 2 weeks.
I've found this

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=196931

but I'm not sure if they are big and complete dictionaries
Old 10-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
For your readability requirements, definitely the Kobo Aura One. Great lighting* and screen resolution, plus good font & layout options. Some people have had problems with the battery, but not everyone, and you should buy one expecting the battery life not to be as good as it is on the 6" readers.

*The Comfortlight Pro gives you the option of having a orange/red hue to the light and things can get a little blotchy depending on the light settings, but as usual with the quality of the light, it varies a lot between devices, and overall people are very happy with this added feature.

However, for your dictionary requirements, the Kindle has by far the best dictionary. I'm sure most people with a Kobo reader are happy enough with its dictionary, but if you're going from a Kindle to a Kobo, you will notice it's not as good.

Perhaps the new Oasis with its 7" screen will be another option for you?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
For your readability requirements, definitely the Kobo Aura One. Great lighting* and screen resolution, plus good font & layout options. Some people have had problems with the battery, but not everyone, and you should buy one expecting the battery life not to be as good as it is on the 6" readers.

*The Comfortlight Pro gives you the option of having a orange/red hue to the light and things can get a little blotchy depending on the light settings, but as usual with the quality of the light, it varies a lot between devices, and overall people are very happy with this added feature.

However, for your dictionary requirements, the Kindle has by far the best dictionary. I'm sure most people with a Kobo reader are happy enough with its dictionary, but if you're going from a Kindle to a Kobo, you will notice it's not as good.

Perhaps the new Oasis with its 7" screen will be another option for you?
Sure, the new oasis was my second option.

But is it really impossible to use my mobi dictionaries in a kobo or to convert them in a kobo format?
Old 10-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #6
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle

Last edited by Xen; 08-22-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
In contrast my H2O has worked great for years and my interactions with Kobo Customer Service have gone quite well (including a warranty replacement of an Aura HD.) I would recommend Kobo to anyone.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Best popup dictionary [/B](I have a kindle touch and I use it a lot, but I don't know if there's something better than the kindle's one. Presently I'm jumping changing from a dictionary to another when I haven't the meaning!!)

I put an eye on the Kobo Aura One, but I don't know nothing about its popup dictionary and someone tells this ereader has several problems (For example the battery life, but on the other hand I don't use either the wifi or LED)
I have a few Kindles and some older Kobos, namely the original Kobo Aura. I'm pretty sure it uses the same dictionary as the Aura One but I could be wrong.

Anyway, the Kobo's dictionary is pretty good. The Kindle's dictionary is considerably better.

I also have a Nook Glowlight Plus and it's dictionary is poorer than either of those.

I find the battery life on my Kobo Aura to be a bit better than on my Kindles and the Kobo's shelf life, when I'm not actually using it, is a lot better than the Kindle's shelf life. Both, though, get such good battery life that I don't think any of this matters much.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:27 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
I have a Kobo H2O which Kobo screwed me out of the warranty work/replacement on.

How did they do this, you may ask.

By not having ANY contact info on their site except for a phone #. I don't have a phone. I hunted down an e-mail address with great effort - then they demanded that I SEND THEM A PICTURE OF THE READER before I could send it back in for warranty repair/replacement.

OK. So I don't have a phone - but they think I have a digital camera. Riiiiight.

Then my computer went down and took that email address with it. Not to worry - I had a second computer. Lucky me, THAT went down 2 weeks later - again, taking all email addresses with it. And I never could find that email address again. So - Kobo screwed me for the $180 I spent on their buggy ereader.

The biggest issue I had with it was it WOULD NOT page properly. I had several books that worked fine on the Kindle Keyboard, the Nook, and every software ereader I had including Calibre - but not on the Kobo. There were other issues, but that was the worst.

I tried both "alternate-to-stock" versions of the Kobo software. Whatever the issue was, it was in Kobo's firmware or in their reader itself. Or it was a hardware problem. But not being able to read 5 to 10 pages in a row because the device absolutely refuses to page into it is totally unacceptable, and hiding your contact info and requiring someone to send you a picture of a device that isn't physically broken anyway is just a roadblock to try to slow you down or stop you getting warranty work. I think they KNEW that at least THAT version of the H2O had problems and they purposefully made it hard for the owner to do anything about it.

Don't buy a Kobo. Mine was buggy and customer service was non-existent.
While your tale of woe with a buggy Kobo ereader and two computers crashing is enough to make a rock weep, I do have to wonder why no friend, co-worker, family member, person you chatted with in a coffee shop, whatever was unable to take a photo of your H2O and email it to you.

As for the original H2O having problems? I still have the one I purchased as a replacement for my Aura HD and it still works well. I use it for my cookbook collection since it is waterproof (useful in a kitchen) and has the external uSD card (useful due to rather large file sizes for most cookbooks).

I am curious as to what your refer to as alternative to stock firmware? Are you referring to having installed KOReader or CoolReader as alternatives to using Kobo's reader software? Or were you installing random versions of Kobo's firmware?

I have contacted Kobo's customer service on occasion but never had the issues you ran into trying to locate contact information. Even in the dim distant days of my original Kobo with it's Bluetooth connectivity and a dislike for apostrophes in file names, finding contact information was not that difficult.

And yes, I tended to wonder about your issues back in April, 2015 as mentioned in the Kobo forum mostly since your experience and mine with a H2O were so different. Oddly in light of the message I am replying to, at that time you mentioned owning an android phone which you were using ES file explorer on. Should we add that phone to your list of devices that failed? Then you disappeared for 7 months and came back in November, 2015 with your rant about not being able to contact Kobo. A rant which you reiterated much in this post with the addition of your computer woes.

Perchance is Grendel to be found in your family tree?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Sure, the new oasis was my second option.

But is it really impossible to use my mobi dictionaries in a kobo or to convert them in a kobo format?
No I don't think there is any way to do it, which is why there is a thread in the Kobo forum dedicated to other options/dictionaries that you can try. If the dictionary is your biggest concern, then you're not going to get anything better than a Kindle. If you can live with a dictionary that's not quite as good, give the Kobo Aura One a try.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #11
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader

Ok perfect, I'm thinking to buy a Aura One. Anyway I'll wait few months to see if the price go down or there'll be a new Kobo 7.8" model (There are whispers about it. If you know any release date please tell me)

Many thanks
Old 10-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Ok perfect, I'm thinking to buy a Aura One. Anyway I'll wait few months to see if the price go down or there'll be a new Kobo 7.8" model
Kobo don't usually lower the prices of their devices. They might have a short-term sale, but that's about it.
Quote:
(There are whispers about it. If you know any release date please tell me)
I haven't seen any rumours about a new device at all. Can you point me to them? And based on Kobo's past releases, the next time we are likely to see a new device is April/May next year. Do you want to wait that amount of time?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:00 AM   #13
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo don't usually lower the prices of their devices. They might have a short-term sale, but that's about it.

I haven't seen any rumours about a new device at all. Can you point me to them? And based on Kobo's past releases, the next time we are likely to see a new device is April/May next year. Do you want to wait that amount of time?
I've found yesterday this

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/10/prweb14858540.htm

anyway 32GB are useless for my need.

Have you any links about the April/May's device?
Old 10-31-2017, 08:27 PM   #14
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Not likely since there may or may not be a device coming April/May. David was just pointing out that April/May has tended to be when Kobo releases new devices so the odds would be that would be when to expect any new Kobo device.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:30 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks. Someone mentioned this elsewhere, but seemed to relaying it as a rumour.
Quote:
anyway 32GB are useless for my need.
But it will make a lot of people happy. Except those that want 64GB or ...
Quote:
Sorry, that's not what I was saying. Kobo usually announce and release their devices in either April/May or September/October with maybe some hints in the month before. So, the next time we are likely to see an all new device is in April/May next year. But, I have absolutely no idea if Kobo have something new planned for that time. And it's far to early for even rumours to appear.

The above announcement is unexpected, but it is a tweak to an existing device. Doing a production run with the extra memory is far different from a completely new device. And it's probably a way of grabbing some attention from the new version of the Oasis.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote