Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If I had a 2018 Pro, I'd probably consider getting the Magic Keyboard (painful as the price may be). That stand should be helpful for reducing neck pain.

Problem with keyboards that use the Smart Connector is there's a much smaller market compared to the one for bluetooth keyboards.

Mind, I've had good experience with AA/AAA battery powered Logitech multi-device keyboards.
I agree with you. It's expensive, but if it's more usable and elegant, it well may be worth it. I'll have to try it before buying, of course.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #17
HLS
Groupie
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis,Paperwhite,Ook Glowlight Plus, KOBO Aura,H2O, Cara
My current iPad pro is plenty fast
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #18
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Voyage, iPad mini
I will be getting one of these. The improved keyboard internals (can’t remember where I saw this, but it means apps can get same event/state information as on Mac) and trackpad capability make it finally a laptop replacement for me (1 pound!). Hoping that means you get alternate character inflections when you hold the key down, just like on Mac. It’s annoying to have to switch off the keyboard so you can do this on the virtual keyboard.

I still need a new Mac, but that can wait, and I don’t need to consider a MacBook. Probably get the Magic Keyboard, too but I am guessing it would be top heavy and you’d need to keep one hand resting on the keyboard to keep it from tipping over onto the floor.

Of course a lot depends on developers to take advantage of new keyboard and trackpad capabilities, and that will take some time.

For example, I still don’t know of any apps that support multiple instances, or purchased from App Store fonts, other than Apple’s.

Last edited by tomsem; 03-20-2020 at 05:54 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #19
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’m confused by the ‘compatibility’ specs for iPad Pro Magic Keyboard. It lists only 1st and 2nd generation 11” iPad Pros. And the 12.9 inch lists only 3rd and 4th generation iPad Pro 12.9”.

The Smart Keyboard Folio has the same issue. They are labeled ‘New’ but the smaller supports 1st and 2nd, the larger 3rd and 4th.

Some sort of error, I have to assume.

The
Old 03-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I’m confused by the ‘compatibility’ specs for iPad Pro Magic Keyboard. It lists only 1st and 2nd generation 11” iPad Pros. And the 12.9 inch lists only 3rd and 4th generation iPad Pro 12.9”.

The Smart Keyboard Folio has the same issue. They are labeled ‘New’ but the smaller supports 1st and 2nd, the larger 3rd and 4th.

Some sort of error, I have to assume.
iPad Pro 12.9 1st gen

iPad Pro 9.7

iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen
iPad Pro 10.5

iPad Pro 12.9 3rd gen
iPad Pro 11 1st gen

iPad Pro 12.9 4th gen
iPad Pro 11 2nd gen
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:40 PM   #21
tomsem
Wizard

Ah, yes. Of course if you are buying a new one there’s no ‘generation’ shown. So that is accurate.

Still, if you compare, say, 3rd and 4th generation iPod Pro 12.9-in., it says the former is compatible with Smart Keyboard Folio and the latter with Magic Keyboard. But the keyboard descriptions say both are compatible with both.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:43 PM   #22
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Ah, yes. Of course if you are buying a new one there’s no ‘generation’ shown. So that is accurate.

Still, if you compare, say, 3rd and 4th generation iPod Pro 12.9-in., it says the former is compatible with Smart Keyboard Folio and the latter with Magic Keyboard. But the keyboard descriptions say both are compatible with both.
The descriptions for the old Pro likely just weren't updated. Given they have been discontinued, the description might not get updated at all. Perhaps Apple's hoping customers buy both the new iPad and Magic Keyboard instead of just the latter.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:13 PM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Supposedly 6GB RAM across the board, too.
I hadn't heard that. Only the 1TB model I have seen recorded anywhere.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:19 PM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I hadn't heard that. Only the 1TB model I have seen recorded anywhere.

Dale
https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/18/all-2...-as-iphone-11/

2018 iPad Pro with Apple A12X
4GB: 64GB-512GB
6GB: 1TB

2020 iPad Pro with Apple A12Z
6GB: 128GB-1TB
Old 03-21-2020, 08:00 AM   #25
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

Interesting, so the one I have already has 6 GB. For some reason, I hadn't noticed.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Thanks very much. I will fix the wiki.

Dale
Old 03-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Thanks very much. I will fix the wiki.

Dale
Note: I don't think it's quite accurate to call storage ROM (read-only memory).
Old 03-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Note: I don't think it's quite accurate to call storage ROM (read-only memory).
Yea, it is hard to find a real word for storage these days. It is not RAM since it survives a power down. It is not eprom since it not just programmable. I haven't found a good name. Got a suggestion?

Dale
Old 03-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Yea, it is hard to find a real word for storage these days. It is not RAM since it survives a power down. It is not eprom since it not just programmable. I haven't found a good name. Got a suggestion?

Dale
Just call it "Storage" or "Storage Capacity". That's probably easier for lay people to understand.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:54 AM   #30
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
The new OS and keyboard have opened up an important use case for me - using the iPad as a remote terminal for Windows, Mac computers.

Currently I have a 12" MacBook. It's plenty good enough for browsing and office apps. Anything more and I remote into a more powerful computer. It would be nice to have an iPad in this role
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote