Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-02-2021, 05:22 PM   #1
_mcmc_
_mcmc_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
"Open spread" PDFs to single page, batch convert

Hello, I am sorry for what I assume is a basic and/or oft-answered question but I've searched and haven't found good answers:

I have several documents in PDFs from old classes (I work with classic texts so these are past copyright etc) in which each page in the PDF file represents two pages in what would be a printed format. I think these are sometimes called "open spreads", ie as if someone scanned an open book 2 page-sides at a time. I want to, and have students who want to, read these on a Kindle or other device in a regular format, ie each digital page representing a single printed page, without having to zoom in each time and all that. How can I convert these without going through each page of each document?

I have Calibre, but my first attempts at trying this through that didn't work. I would love any suggestion but please keep in mind I am intermediate-level tech savvy, prob beginner by the estimation of many here.

Thank you in advance.
_mcmc_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
You might want to take a look at k2pdfopt

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=144711
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Also Briss app, it takes just a few minutes even for the novices (to crop/cut the whole pdf document after its loading, by using cropping boxes/rectangles).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=briss+pdf
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=83053

Pdf double-page cutting:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=315771

Pdf margin cropping(removal):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=330673

Last edited by Marinolino; 01-03-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
ABBYY Finereader for Mac or PC. Import the pdf, then either auto split or manually split pages. Also has built in OCR, cropping, converting to other formats such as epub. You can then use the free software calibre (or slip the programmer a couple dollars) to convert to mobi for kindles.

If you have to do this a lot and have the $120 or so, it’s well worth it. They have a try before you buy.

Last edited by harriska2; 01-11-2021 at 12:48 PM.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote