Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-22-2020, 02:53 PM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
I use the Kindlegen plugin in Sigil.
Uses my install of Previewer which is 2.94.
Ah, there's the glitch. Open KP3.x and drop the ePUB on that and then retest. I suspect you'll find that your crashing problem is solved. Don't try to strip it; just take the resultant mobi.

Quote:
So that may be out of date. I'm using WinXP so later versions may not be compatible.
Ya think? :-)

(snippage)

Quote:
There is one publisher I need to make ePub3 for, since they also want to use Apple (i)Books, and I have found that ePub2 has some hassles. E.g., the TOC does not update if you load a new version.
Sorry, what do you mean, the TOC doesn't update? Where and when and what?

Quote:
I do the book first in ePub2, then convert to ePub3. I thought that since I have to make ePub3, I could just do all the work in that format and not have to export to ePub3 every time I wanted to share a version.
I can certainly understand THAT.

Quote:
I found that if I used the ePub3 to convert to Kindle format (either dual or AZW) that the NAV page showed up. If I tried to hide it, it converts with no warnings, but when I loaded it on my PW3, paging to the end caused a crash.
Yes, but again, are you doing this with KP2.9x?

(snippage)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:12 AM   #17
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Sorry, what do you mean, the TOC doesn't update? Where and when and what?
I make an ePub2 and load on, e.g, an iPad, and open in iBooks.
Works fine.
Later I update the book and replace the file -- delete it from iBooks first.
If I have added chapters, made a new TOC, they are not shown in the TOC in iBooks.
It seems to retain the original TOC, and other metadata too I think, is not updated.

Only if I change the unique ID in the OPF will it reread the metadata.

If I make ePub3, metadata including TOC is updated correctly from a new file, even with same UID.

Possibly this has changed, but that's how it was a year or so ago, have updated the OS a few times since I worked that out and iBooks is now Books. But found discussion on this going back years on Apple forums so I doubt they have fixed it. Screwing with books you didn't buy from them is a feature, not a bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, but again, are you doing this with KP2.9x?
Yes. That's the only version I have. Doubt later versions will run.
It makes mobi KF7 and 8 and not interested in KPX, so didn't worry about it.
Upgrading my OS has been on my to-do list for a few years now. 2021 may be the year I actually do it.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2020, 07:17 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are using iBooks, you are not using the latest version. The latest version is no longer called iBooks and is called Books. Are you using the latest version and you just made a typo or are you really using iBooks and shuld switch to Books?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #19
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are using iBooks, you are not using the latest version. The latest version is no longer called iBooks and is called Books. Are you using the latest version and you just made a typo or are you really using iBooks and shuld switch to Books?
Please read posts before replying to them.

Quote:
have updated the OS a few times since I worked that out and iBooks is now Books.
I generally still say "iBooks" since just "Books" is too generic and ambiguous a term.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:42 PM   #20
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
I generally still say "iBooks" since just "Books" is too generic and ambiguous a term.
I still think that namechange was one of the dumbest decisions ever. Makes it absolutely impossible to find any information on it in searches.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert