Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-17-2021, 10:33 PM   #1
totaltech
totaltech began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Kindle Group by series

Kindle has the Group books by series capability. The books that I have from AZ with sort and group correctly. Is there a way that I can do the same with my books sent via calibre? I do have books metadata marked as being in a series and have them also numbered appropriately in the series in my Calibre library but when I loaded them via send to device via usb cable they aren't grouped on my Kindle.
TYIA
totaltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:15 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The MOBI/AZW3 file formats dont support series metadata. Amazon is likely using an extra database for series information, not useable by third parties. Just part of their ongoing efforts to raise the walls on their walled gardens.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 01-19-2021 at 09:35 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #3
totaltech
totaltech began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The MOBI/AZW3 file formats dont support series metadata. Amazon is likely using an extra database for series information, not useable by third parties. Just part of there ongoing efforts to raise the walls on their walled gardens.
Thank you for your prompt answer
totaltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #4
Mishca
Mishca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Generation)
Dang jumped on to see if this was going to be possible in the future too. Well maybe someday. Calibre does a great job keeping me organized as it is.
Mishca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:51 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo has a series feature that works with eBooks downloaded from Kobo and also works with side loaded eBooks from Calibre. Kindle is a walled garden and Kobo is a garden without walls.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:37 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
On the off chance that amazon have added support for series to the mobi format, can one of you copy one of the files of your kindle and PM it to me.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:39 AM   #7
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
The closest thing you probably can get is using metadata plugboards.

Been using it for months now as kindle shows the books in series order. No more searching for the next book in the series.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #8
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
On the off chance that amazon have added support for series to the mobi format, can one of you copy one of the files of your kindle and PM it to me.
I will send you a book that now appears in a series on my Kindle, but I think you are right that the series info is not stored in an accessible area. None of the file dates were updated when I turned on the series feature.
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #9
mallomar
Enthusiast
mallomar began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air 2, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
The MOBI/AZW3 file formats dont support series metadata. Amazon is likely using an extra database for series information, not useable by third parties. Just part of their ongoing efforts to raise the walls on their walled gardens.
Kovid, you mentioned MOBI and AZW3. Curious if it's the same with sideloaded KFX?
mallomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallomar View Post
Kovid, you mentioned MOBI and AZW3. Curious if it's the same with sideloaded KFX?
There's not reason to think otherwise. Amazon is a great one for trying hard to lock down Kindles from doing anything useful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #11
mallomar
Enthusiast
mallomar began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air 2, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's not reason to think otherwise. Amazon is a great one for trying hard to lock down Kindles from doing anything useful.
Yeah, I just deleted a couple series I had sideloaded in AZW3, converted to KFX and sideloaded them and they don't still don't group. Bummer as they're two series I added to my mom's Kindle, so I wanted her to easily see they're a series and what order they're in. I can group them into a collection, but that doesn't solve the order not displaying. Oh well. Only silver lining is that now that they're in KFX at least my mom has more formatting options.

Last edited by mallomar; 05-14-2021 at 03:24 PM.
mallomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:29 PM   #12
jkingrph
jkingrph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
My new kindle paperwhite, 2021 model supposedly has the ability to group books in a series, there is a tab in settings to turn on, which I have done, but it will not show books in a series. Is there any way to make this feature work?
jkingrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:03 PM   #13
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon only delivers series information to Kindles for books that were obtained from Amazon. The series grouping feature won't work for sideloaded books.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:36 PM   #14
jkingrph
jkingrph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
None of mine are sideloaded, only from the kindle store, and none show as a series.
jkingrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:56 PM   #15
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I turned the feature off on my new Paperwhite because it was pretty hit-or-miss. For Cherryh’s Foreigner series, it only included 5 of the books, despite the fact that I own all 21 of them. And these were all side-loaded via Calibre. There were other series that I hadn’t realized had a series name, and on the Kindle they were just shown with the series name, without the author shown. Way too confusing.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote