Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #1
wizzard
The Reader
wizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watchwizzard is clearly one to watch

Device: Aura HD
Connecting Calibre on Mac to Poke 3

So Calibre recognizes that Poke 3 is connected but when I try to transfer a book I get an error with the following message:

calibre, version 5.9.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

'str' object has no attribute 'decode'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 592, in _upload_books
File "calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 429, in upload_books
File "calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 405, in ensure_parent
File "calibre/devices/mtp/base.py", line 25, in synchronizer
File "calibre/devices/mtp/unix/driver.py", line 380, in create_folder
File "calibre/devices/mtp/unix/driver.py", line 209, in format_errorstack
File "calibre/devices/mtp/unix/driver.py", line 209, in <listcomp>
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'decode'

Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.
wizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:35 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
sadly there's a python 3 issue in the erorr reporting code obscuring the real error, but most likely with mtp it is that you have th edevice open in another program, like the android file transfer program. Om mac/linux mtp devices can only connect to a single program at a time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:38 AM   #3
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
When I got my poke 3, it also failed to send books even though it was recognized. The problem for me was that there was no directory to copy the books into. I created Books and everything worked fine from there.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, mac, osx, poke 3