Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
Bertrand
Zealot
Bertrand began at the beginning.

Device: None
Command line instruction to export all data ?

Hi

(Windows 10, calibre 3.27)

I've used the option "Export all your data" (not sure of the name in english) from the Library menu to transfer my library and all the settings, extensions, etc., to my laptop.
It's a great tool, it worked very well and I now have an exact copy on my laptop.

Is there a way to do the export via the CLI ?
I'd like to run this option via a batch file + Windows Task Scheduler.

(I already do this with "calibredb export" but if I'm not mistaken, it's only to export books, not the whole calibre configuration.)

I didn't find anything in the doc.

Thanks.
Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre-debug --export-all-calibre-data
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2018, 01:48 AM   #3
Bertrand
Zealot

Thanks, but when prompted for a path, I keep getting an error about the syntax.

Code:
> calibre-debug --export-all-calibre-data
Enter path to an empty folder (all exported data will be saved inside it): c:\test
I tried different variations, c:/test, "c:\test" etc but no luck.

Code:
Python function terminated unexpectedly
  [Error 123] La syntaxe du nom de fichier, de répertoire ou de volume est incorrecte: u'c:\\test\r' (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site.py", line 101, in main
  File "site.py", line 78, in run_entry_point
  File "site-packages\calibre\debug.py", line 325, in main
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\exim.py", line 391, in run_exporter
  File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 123] La syntaxe du nom de fichier, de répertoire ou de volume est incorrecte: u'c:\\test\r'
Old 07-08-2018, 02:26 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Strange, I dont see anything that could cause that. You can always create the emty directory yourself first the calibre will not try to create it.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:27 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Never mind, I see it is because there is an extra carriage return at the end of the directory name -- probably something weird about the console in your system? Are you running it in cygwin or a normal windows command prompt?
Advert
Old 07-08-2018, 02:57 AM   #6
Bertrand
Zealot

I'm using ConEmu (https://conemu.github.io/).
But I tried with a normal windows command prompt and the end of the error message is different now.

Folder created in File Explorer before running the command :
Code:
C:\>calibre-debug --export-all-calibre-data
Enter path to an empty folder (all exported data will be saved inside it): c:\test

[Error 123] La syntaxe du nom de fichier, de rTraceback (most recent call last):
WindowsError: [Error 123] La syntaxe du nom de fichier, de rpertoire ou de volume est incorrecte: u'c:\\test\r'
close failed in file object destructor:
sys.excepthook is missing
lost sys.stderr

Folder not created before running the command, same result :
Code:
C:\>calibre-debug --export-all-calibre-data
Enter path to an empty folder (all exported data will be saved inside it): c:\test2

[Error 123] La syntaxe du nom de fichier, de rTraceback (most recent call last):
WindowsError: [Error 123] La syntaxe du nom de fichier, de rpertoire ou de volume est incorrecte: u'c:\\test2\r'
close failed in file object destructor:
sys.excepthook is missing
lost sys.stderr
Old 07-08-2018, 03:33 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I have no idea why your console is doing that, but in any case, since \r is not legal in filenames, this should work around it: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...ba5bea9cb26db4
Old 07-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #8
Bertrand
Zealot

Thanks Kovid.
I'll check again at the next calibre update.

(I just tested on my laptop (Windows 10 fresh install) and I have the same error)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #9
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
@Kovid,
I just recognize the old version had not worked for me too and I had forgot to report that some when in May. I just see the remark in my script

I run your new modification from source. It is a bit better as I can now pass a backup directory, but if I select only one of the libraries no library will be backup.

Spoiler:

Code:
C:\Users\Armin\Documents\Calibre\Calibre-Debug>calibre-debug --export-all-calibre-data c:\Users\Armin\Documents\Calibre\Calibre-Debug\backup
Enter path to an empty folder (all exported data will be saved inside it): c:\Users\Armin\Documents\Calibre\Calibre-Debug\backup
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\filename_pattern.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\catalog\catalog_bibtex.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\catalog\catalog_epub_mobi.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\catalog\catalog_tab_template.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\azw3_output.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\comic_input.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\debug.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\docx_input.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\epub_output.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\fb2_input.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\fb2_output.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\font_key.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\heuristics.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\htmlz_output.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\look_and_feel.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\lrf_output.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\metadata.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\mobi_output.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\page_setup.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\pdb_output.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\pdf_input.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\pdf_output.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\pmlz_output.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\rb_output.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\regex_builder.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\rtf_input.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\search_and_replace.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\single.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\snb_output.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\structure_detection.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\toc.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\txt_input.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\txt_output.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\xexp_edit.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\convert\xpath_wizard.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\device_drivers\configwidget.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\catalog.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\choose_format_device.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\choose_library.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\comicconf.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\comments_dialog.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\confirm_delete_location.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\conversion_error.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\delete_matching_from_device.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\device_category_editor.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\drm_error.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\edit_authors_dialog.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\jobs.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\match_books.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\metadata_bulk.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\password.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\quickview.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\smartdevice.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\tag_categories.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\tag_editor.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\tag_list_editor.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\template_dialog.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\lrf_renderer\config.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\lrf_renderer\main.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\adding.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\behavior.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\columns.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\email.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\look_feel.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\metadata_sources.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\misc.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugboard.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\save_template.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\saving.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\search.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\sending.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\template_functions.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\toolbar.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\store\basic_config_widget.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\store\web_store_dialog.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\store\config\chooser\adv_search_builder.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\store\config\chooser\chooser_widget.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\store\config\search\search_widget.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\store\search\adv_search_builder.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\store\search\search.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\store\stores\mobileread\adv_search_builder.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\store\stores\mobileread\cache_progress_dialog.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\store\stores\mobileread\store_dialog.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\viewer\config.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\wizard\device.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\wizard\finish.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\wizard\kindle.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\wizard\library.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.ui
        Compiling form c:\Users\Armin\git\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\wizard\stanza.ui
Compiled 91 forms
Export the library E:/Test-DB [y/n]: y
Export the library E:/Calibre Normen-DB [y/n]: n
Export the library E:/Calibre Magazine [y/n]: n
Export the library E:/Calibre MobilleRead-DB [y/n]: n
Export the library E:/Calibre Bibliothek [y/n]: n
Export the library E:/Calibre Galileo-DB [y/n]: n
Export the library c:/users/armin/documents/calibretest-embroidery_db [y/n]: n
Export the library E:/Calibre Embroidery [y/n]: n
Export the library E:/Calibre CountPage-DB [y/n]: n
Export the library E:/Calibre Test-DB [y/n]: n
Export the library C:/Users/Armin/Documents/Python/Annot-DB [y/n]: n
Export the library E:/Calibre JK-DB [y/n]: n
No libraries selected for export

I have a little additional request. Is it possible to add some arguments for scripting? I like to pass a backup directory and in addition only dedicated libraries or "all" as parameters. No parameter means the original behavior as it is now. This would be very helpful.

Last edited by Divingduck; 07-10-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There you go: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...836c2d918bb6a1
Old 07-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #11
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much.
I test from command line and select some of the libraries. This worked very well.
Same for scripting. The only thing what I was not able to do: all libraries as script.

For those who like to test:

calibre-debug --export-all-calibre-data [backup_dir] [library1] [library2] ...

Needs absolute paths for the export directory and libraries and quotation marks if path or library names include spaces.

Sample script:
calibre-debug --export-all-calibre-data c:\path\to\backup_dir C:\path\to\first\library\library_name "C:\path with space\to\second\library name" [...]
Old 07-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...836c2d918bb6a1
Old 07-11-2018, 04:56 AM   #13
Divingduck
Wizard

Sweet. This works perfect. Just finished a backup about 68GB on my test system.

Question, do you need to modify --import-calibre-data as well? I've trouble to run this via cmd on my test system. There seems to be the same behavior for passing a backup directory.

Spoiler:
Code:
C:\Users\Armin\Documents\Calibre\Calibre-Debug>calibre-debug --import-calibre-data
Enter path to folder containing previously exported data: c:\Users\Armin\Documents\Calibre\Calibre-Debug\backup
 is not a folderocuments\Calibre\Calibre-Debug\backup
C:\Users\Armin\Documents\Calibre\Calibre-Debug>

It would be nice having the scripting similar to the exporter
Old 07-11-2018, 05:21 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I will fix the import input, but I dont see the point of making it scriptable. It's not like it needs to be run regularly.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:29 AM   #15
Divingduck
Wizard

Yes, I understood.

The additional request was more for having a automated test scenario to verify a backup w/o the need for checking this personally.