Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Beneath a Scarlet Sky - Mark Sullivan

I read this through the Kindle Unlimited program, and this book has paid for this year's KU subscription all by itself. I have cross posted this review to the the book's Amazon's reviews pages.

This is the true story of Giuseppe "Pino" Lella, an overly romantic teen-ager who had lived a relatively privileged upper middle class childhood in Milan. It is a sort of coming of age story that covers the last two years of World War II. It was an odd time for Italy. It was at war with the Allies, but it was also sort of fighting a passive-aggressive war with Germany, who was increasingly becoming an occupying force and not an ally. Italy wanted to lose one war, and win the other, and they really wanted the Americans with whom they felt a kinship, to get to be the ones to liberate them first.

At age 18, all boys were drafted into the Italian Army to be used as cannon fodder for the Germans in Russia or Poland. His parents convince him to join the Organization Todt, which was a German run auxiliary army that pretty much did Germany's 'dirty work' in Italy. He reluctantly does so and inadvertently becomes General Leyers driver.

Leyers, an engineer by training, is Hitler's right hand man in Italy, and reports directly to Hitler. He is responsible for making sure Italy fully supports German war efforts. His methods included slavery, murder, torture, and of course, sending Jews to the concentration camps.

When Pino's uncle learns of this, the uncle reveals that he works for the Italian Resistance, and wants Pino to spy on Leyers.

I won't reveal any more, this true story has to be read to fully understand. It is very well written and very moving. I can't believe this won't be made into a movie at some point. Pino Lella's story is too fantastic, and too compelling for Hollywood to overlook.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 08-12-2017 at 07:19 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Thanks for the recommendation. I've read a lot of WWII books (mostly about the Holocaust ), but I'm not sure I've read anything from an Italian point of view.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #3
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I've read it and agree it's a great true story. I've also not read many WW2 books from the Italian perspective. I'll need to read more of them now.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I can't believe this won't be made into a movie at some point. Pino Lella's story is too fantastic, and too compelling for Hollywood to overlook.
You convinced me, and Amazon.ca pushed me today too. It's $CDN 1.99 at Amazon.ca today, and quite possibly on sale elsewhere.
https://www.amazon.ca/Beneath-Scarle.../dp/B01L1CEZ6K

The Amazon blurb says:
"Soon to be a major motion picture from Pascal Pictures, starring Tom Holland."
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Another good recommendation Glen. Just bought it at Amazon.com for $1.99.
Beneath a Scarlet Sky: A Novel
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
You convinced me, and Amazon.ca pushed me today too. It's $CDN 1.99 at Amazon.ca today, and quite possibly on sale elsewhere.
https://www.amazon.ca/Beneath-Scarle.../dp/B01L1CEZ6K

The Amazon blurb says:
"Soon to be a major motion picture from Pascal Pictures, starring Tom Holland."
You know . . . they always say "A Major Motion Picture", never "A MINOR Motion Picture", which most of them are. I'm hoping this film will be as good as the book, it's got a lot of good material to work with.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
You know . . . they always say "A Major Motion Picture", never "A MINOR Motion Picture", which most of them are...
Too true.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:14 AM   #8
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
A great book. One of my favorite reads in a while.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #9
bshar489
Addict
bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Fire HD8
Glen, thanks so much for this recommendation. I had just gotten KU and was wading through books trying to decide what to read when I read your post. I check it out and I must say I don't remember seeing so many high reviews from so many people.

I just got done reading it and I think it was one of the most powerful books I have ever read. Usually I just skim a preface so I can get on to the book itself but even the preface grabbed me. Mark Sullivan is a word artist. I felt like Alice, except that instead of falling down the rabbit hole I fell into my Kindle and became part of Pino Lella's world. Thanks again.

Bergette
bshar489 is offline   Reply With Quote