Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-13-2018, 03:35 AM   #1516
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Snow View Post
Not sure how this changed?? I don't think I've even looked in that place. As I siad, this has been working perfectly on the 2nd connection until real recently - only noticed it on the last couple of books. Damn computers have a mind of their own!
I don't know of any reasons for it to have changed. There haven't been any changes in calibre that would have affected it. Unless you configuration was corrupted somehow,
Quote:
I wish I knew more computer stuff (like even how to read logs), but didn't get a computer until late in life, so there's no hope for me now
I wouldn't worry to much about it. In this case, it is a debug log. And the intention of the output in it is to give me enough information to work out what is wrong. In this case, I should have thought of the metadata management option as it is a common configuration problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #1517
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't know of any reasons for it to have changed. There haven't been any changes in calibre that would have affected it. Unless you configuration was corrupted somehow,
Not sure. I don't play around inside calibre that much as I don't won't to change something because I usually don't remember how to fix it. Years go passed without me doing anyway save upgrading to the latest version (along with plugins). I'm really happy with everything calibre does in my setup - so no need to change things . I'm sure it could do a lot more (if I knew how), but unfortunately, I don't have enough spare time to figure it. I have got a lot of my answers here though - which has helped me no end. Thank you to all the people here you have made the effort (yourself included).

Again...I really appreciate the help.
Chris_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #1518
stringsonfire
stringsonfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Hi. I'm having some trouble syncing Custom Columns. I have all four columns mapped, and this worked fine some time ago. The most recent Last Read date is 7th Feb 2017, but I've done a lot of reading since then.

The Aura One is up to date. Calibre 3.27.1 (64 bit). Kobo Utilities 2.6.0.

Would appreciate some pointers figuring out what's gone wrong. Thanks!
stringsonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #1519
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringsonfire View Post
Hi. I'm having some trouble syncing Custom Columns. I have all four columns mapped, and this worked fine some time ago. The most recent Last Read date is 7th Feb 2017, but I've done a lot of reading since then.

The Aura One is up to date. Calibre 3.27.1 (64 bit). Kobo Utilities 2.6.0.

Would appreciate some pointers figuring out what's gone wrong. Thanks!
The quick thoughts are:
  • Is the plugin enabled.
  • Is the configuration correct - columns correct, the option to run the store selected.
  • Is the device selected in the configuration the device that is seen when it is connected.
  • Does the store work if you run it manually

The most likely problem is either the second or third of the above.

If all these are OK, run calibre in debug mode and post the log when you connect the device. I'll look at it and can usually see what is happening.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #1520
stringsonfire
stringsonfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The quick thoughts are:
  • Is the plugin enabled.
  • Is the configuration correct - columns correct, the option to run the store selected.
  • Is the device selected in the configuration the device that is seen when it is connected.
  • Does the store work if you run it manually

The most likely problem is either the second or third of the above.

If all these are OK, run calibre in debug mode and post the log when you connect the device. I'll look at it and can usually see what is happening.
Thanks!

1) Yup, I have all of the Kobo and KePub plug-ins installed, up-to-date and enabled
2) All set up. Columns:

Config:

3) Yes. It's also the only device there.
4) Yes, that worked!

Here are the jobs that are running. Which job does this bookmark store come under?

stringsonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #1521
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringsonfire View Post
3) Yes. It's also the only device there.
All the rest looks good. On the device page of the configuration, does the Aura ONE have the icon to show it is connected? If not, this means the plugin thinks it is a different device. This is based on an id in the file driveinfo.calibre. If this is removed at some point, calibre, and the plugin, sees the device as a different one. The "Add connected device" button should be enabled. Click that and add it. Then delete the existing one and make sure the device is selected on the first page.

Or, for simplicity, and if this is your only Kobo device, use the "Any device" option on the first page. That should solve it.
Quote:

Here are the jobs that are running. Which job does this bookmark store come under?

The job isn't there. It is called "Storing reading positions for x books".
Old 07-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #1522
gwaldon
gwaldon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi there,

I'm having a problem which I believe is caused by the Kobo Utilities "backup device database" function. (Not every single time, unfortunately, which is why it's been hard to track down, but pretty often.)

I have the option set to make a backup each time I connect. However, what is happening is that as soon as this starts, the Kobo somehow gets unmounted. It disappears from my desktop, the backup job fails, and I get a system error saying the disk wasn't ejected properly (and the Kobo screen stays on "connected and charging"). If I unplug it, the Kobo itself seems fine, though often it won't mount at all if I plug it in again, and I have to restart the computer, or even reset the SMC to get it back again.

If I disable the "backup on each connection" then Calibre has no problem accessing my Kobo, adding/removing books, downloading annotations. But then as soon as I re-enable that option and it tries to make a backup, the same problem occurs.

I'm on Mac OS 10.13.6, with the latest versions of Calibre (3.28) and Kobo Utilities (2.6.0). My Kobo is an Aura Edition 2, running software version 4.9.11311 (6/28/2018). But this problem has occurred on the previous version of all of these as well.

Any ideas? Or other information I could provide?

Thank you!
Tandava
gwaldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:17 AM   #1523
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaldon View Post
Hi there,

I'm having a problem which I believe is caused by the Kobo Utilities "backup device database" function. (Not every single time, unfortunately, which is why it's been hard to track down, but pretty often.)

I have the option set to make a backup each time I connect. However, what is happening is that as soon as this starts, the Kobo somehow gets unmounted. It disappears from my desktop, the backup job fails, and I get a system error saying the disk wasn't ejected properly (and the Kobo screen stays on "connected and charging"). If I unplug it, the Kobo itself seems fine, though often it won't mount at all if I plug it in again, and I have to restart the computer, or even reset the SMC to get it back again.

If I disable the "backup on each connection" then Calibre has no problem accessing my Kobo, adding/removing books, downloading annotations. But then as soon as I re-enable that option and it tries to make a backup, the same problem occurs.

I'm on Mac OS 10.13.6, with the latest versions of Calibre (3.28) and Kobo Utilities (2.6.0). My Kobo is an Aura Edition 2, running software version 4.9.11311 (6/28/2018). But this problem has occurred on the previous version of all of these as well.

Any ideas? Or other information I could provide?
Firstly, I do see a similar problem with my devices on a Windows laptop. But, my problem is because of a worn USB port on my laptop. I can connect OK, but if I bump the USB plug, it can move and drop the connection but still be charging. If that happens while calibre is accessing the device, then I get the errors you see and the USB port doesn't work properly until I reboot. But, it doesn't just happen during the backup, it is at whatever phase of the connection calibre is in at the time.

For what is happening to you, I can't think of a reason. The backup is done by using the OS to copy the database file to the local drive. Unless that is somehow stressing the USB connection in a way that means the OS drops it. If that is the cause, you could try manually copying the database when calibre isn't connected. If the device connection is dropped, then there is a problem with the connection. A different cable might fix something like that.

Other than that, I don't know what to suggest. My Mac knowledge is pretty minimal. There have been some reports of problems connecting the newer devices with Macs in the Kobo forum. But, there haven't been consistent reasons or fixes. Looking at those reports might give you an idea.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #1524
gwaldon
gwaldon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I did at first assume it was a hardware issue. But changing cables didn't help, and I use other devices on the same USB ports without a problem. I don't have another Kobo to test swapping that out, unfortunately. Eventually I realized that it always happened when Calibre was trying to backup the database and never any other time.

Just now I did a manual copy of the database file to my desktop, and that worked without a hitch. But then I had Calibre do a backup and that also worked, so I guess it wasn't a good comparison. I feel like the problem occurs maybe 75% of the time, though, so I'll see if I can figure out anything else next time.

And I'll look up those other reports of Mac connection problems. Thanks for the tip.

-Tandava
gwaldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:56 AM   #1525
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I've also had problems with the kobo randomly disconnecting. For me, it does this also when calibre is transferring a large handful of books to the device.

I narrowed it down to either a flaky USB port or a bad usb cable (or both). I switched cables and switched to the USB port in the back of my computer instead of the one on the case and the problem has gone away. The kobo seems more sensitive to this than other devices.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:37 AM   #1526
ebriet
ebriet began at the beginning.

Device: iPad iBooksApp
Dear David,
I am new to this forum, but I am a very happy user of Calibre.
I try to get the books from my KoboDesktop on iMac into Calibre.
I installed KoboUtilities.
Is there a way to do this ?
many thanks
Ernest
ebriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:02 AM   #1527
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I think you should go to apprentice alf blog to ask for this, not here, and perhaps search obok. This plugin is not useful for exporting from Kobo Desktop to calibre.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:15 AM   #1528
ebriet
ebriet began at the beginning.

Device: iPad iBooksApp
kobo desktop

Many thanks,
I shall do that
Ernest
ebriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:23 AM   #1529
inthemood
Zealot
inthemood began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Forma 32G
Hi,
what can the Kobo utilities plugin do for the new Kobo home screen in terms of organization (dismissing, adding…). Thank you.
inthemood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #1530
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemood View Post
Hi,
what can the Kobo utilities plugin do for the new Kobo home screen in terms of organization (dismissing, adding…).
Nothing. There are two fixed tiles on the home screen, and the rest change as you use the device.

The top line can be affected by changing the reading status of the books, but, it changes again as soon as you open or finish another book.

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities