Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
[Old Thread] What's an OPF file?

When I convert some of my books, or just edit the metadata of them, in the folder I get an OPF file, along with the cover image. What is the opf file for? I've been deleting them...
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Its the metadata for that book. I believe it's created so if you want to import those epubs into a different program, you can do so with all your nice metadata intact.

You can disable this behaviour if you want. Under Prefererences-->Add/Save-->(TAB)Saving Books. There is a checkbox for "Save Metadata in OPF file".

EDIT: At least for epubs, I believe the metadata is also stored within the actual epub, so FOR EPUBS this OPF file might be redundant. But not all ebook formats support saving extensive metadata inline (think TXT, RTF, HTML, etc). I could be wrong about this though, so someone else pipe in.

Last edited by Stinger; 06-01-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Its the metadata for that book. I believe it's created so if you want to import those epubs into a different program, you can do so with all your nice metadata intact.
It's also used when adding the book to Calibre. If that file exists when you try to import into Calibre, it will override any other metadata in the file or in the filename. If you want to give a book to a friend who's also using Calibre, give them the opf file too.

Quote:
At least for epubs, I believe the metadata is also stored within the actual epub
Yes, it's in the content.opf file inside the EPUB.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
.opf is open packaging format. It is a cross platform specification to try and maintain some consistency between different publishers etc. I think
http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf/OPF_2.0_final_spec.html
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:23 AM   #5
thepict
thepict will become famous soon enoughthepict will become famous soon enoughthepict will become famous soon enoughthepict will become famous soon enoughthepict will become famous soon enoughthepict will become famous soon enough

Device: iphone
I always wondered what it was, thanks for the info.
thepict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Calibre stores an opf file with every book in its library, changing it every time the metadata for the book is changed. The files are used by the restore database function to recreate calibre's database (metadata.db) in the case that the db has become corrupted.

You cannot turn off this behavior. You can, of course, delete the files, but by doing so you are potentially shooting yourself in the foot by depriving yourself of a way to recover your library if something goes wrong with the db.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
I know it's an old thread.

Thanks for the question and the answers - it also helped with with another question.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #8
hnoor0055
hnoor0055 began at the beginning.

Device: none
thinks for everything

_________________-
=== Solitaire ===

Last edited by hnoor0055; 04-05-2016 at 05:53 AM.
hnoor0055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoor0055 View Post
thinks for everything

_________________-
NOOR
Moderator Notice
Please don't post 'thank you notes' in ancient threads - instead click the karma button on the relevant post and record your thanks there
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote