Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #31
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think you over estimate Ma and Pa kettle. They likely use whatever their kids or grandkids use or set up for them. In these types of forums people tend to be more tech savvy, but when I talk to friends, relatives, and strangers who are not tech savvy they seem rather clueless about the different types of OSes etc., and they tend to stick with whatever they started out with. YMMV of course, but that is what I see a lot out in concrete jungle.

ETA: I suspect the younger generations know all about the tech stuff, but my generation of Baby Boomers is a different story. And yes, we Boomers are still around in large numbers. Ma and Pa Kettle got real busy after WWII was over! Heck most of my classmates from HS still did not have a clue about email when we had our 20 year reunion back in 1996. Yep I'm old. But of course with Generation X and younger, it is a different story as they were more apt to grow up with computers.
On Ma and Pa Kettle,
I would bet said kids or grandkids told them you want either an iPhone, Apple or an Android.
Or in some cases: you want a Samsung. Care to guess what brand the kid owns. That plus Pa likes Best Buy and they have Samsung Tech Support there (for all Samsung not just bought there).

Though you are correct in that they don't understand OS.
I am too young barely for baby boomer and too old for Generation X.
We are the forgotten generation. (Parents finding themselves and kids fending for themselves. ) I am 8 years younger than you.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #32
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
On Ma and Pa Kettle,
I would bet said kids or grandkids told them you want either an iPhone, Apple or an Android.
Or in some cases: you want a Samsung. Care to guess what brand the kid owns. That plus Pa likes Best Buy and they have Samsung Tech Support there (for all Samsung not just bought there).

Though you are correct in that they don't understand OS.
I am too young barely for baby boomer and too old for Generation X.
We are the forgotten generation. (Parents finding themselves and kids fending for themselves. ) I am 8 years younger than you.
Yes, most of the people I know from the Boomer generation, and keep in mind I'm on the young end of that so they are mostly 10 years older, tend to simply ask their kids, or someone they trust, what to buy. And yes, the person usually recommends what they have. That makes sense as it makes it easier to help them set it up and keep it running, not to mention it is easier to answer their questions and correct their booboos when they accidentally hit the self destruct button. I have a friend with a LG smartphone and he is always asking me questions about how to do this or that. I started out with Android devices, but that was long enough ago that I really don't remember the menu system, and since I don't have an Android device, I cannot look it up for him. I have to just guess and give him generalized hints. It is way easier when my sister asks me how to do something on her iPhone though. (She is 8 years older than me, BTW.)

I was a straggler on both sides of the family. I'm 4 years younger than the next oldest sibling or cousin. Most of my surviving siblings and cousins are now in their late 60s to mid 70s. So I'm like a half generation out of place with them. One of my best friends is 10 years younger than me, and though he is Gen X he, like you, feels like he doesn't really fit well into that categorization. In my case though, I'm solidly a Boomer since my dad and all my uncles served in the military during WWII, and my mom was one of the millions of Rosey the Riveters working to keep industry going during the war. But I too really feel like I fit into Gen X better than I do with the Boomers. I'm that 70s generation depicted on TV during the calm decade, whereas most of my cousins were that 60s generation during the turbulent decade from hell. "Hey man, want a hit?"

Last edited by jswinden; 06-08-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Advert
Old 06-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #33
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, most of the people I know from the Boomer generation, and keep in mind I'm on the young end of that so they are mostly 10 years older, tend to simply ask their kids, or someone they trust, what to buy. And yes, the person usually recommends what they have. That makes sense as it makes it easier to help them set it up and keep it running, not to mention it is easier to answer their questions and correct their booboos when they accidentally hit the self destruct button. I have a friend with a LG smartphone and he is always asking me questions about how to do this or that. I started out with Android devices, but that was long enough ago that I really don't remember the menu system, and since I don't have an Android device, I cannot look it up for him. I have to just guess and give him generalized hints. It is way easier when my sister asks me how to do something on her iPhone though. (She is 8 years older than me, BTW.)

I was a straggler on both sides of the family. I'm 4 years younger than the next oldest sibling or cousin. Most of my surviving siblings and cousins are now in their late 60s to mid 70s. So I'm like a half generation out of place with them. One of my best friends is 10 years younger than me, and though he is Gen X he, like you, feels like he doesn't really fit well into that categorization. In my case though, I'm solidly a Boomer since my dad and all my uncles served in the military during WWII, and my mom was one of the millions of Rosey the Riveters working to keep industry going during the war. But I too really feel like I fit into Gen X better than I do with the Boomers. I'm that 70s generation depicted on TV during the calm decade, whereas most of my cousins were that 60s generation during the turbulent decade from hell. "Hey man, want a hit?"
My older cousins went to school with my mom. I think there is about 26 years between the oldest and nearly the youngest. 1947-1974. We don't count the two baby cousins 1984 and 1988 because they are our kids generation. The second cousins started in 1970.

Like I said earlier, turned 14 in 1980. And no thanks on the hit. The 80's had its share of drugs too. We all thought the "Just say no" campaign was funny.
Now we did pretty much stay away from the harder stuff (That was because we all knew or knew of someone who went to prison because they did the hard stuff and may or may not have done the crime they were accused of).
Old 06-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #34
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
My older cousins went to school with my mom. I think there is about 26 years between the oldest and nearly the youngest. 1947-1974. We don't count the two baby cousins 1984 and 1988 because they are our kids generation. The second cousins started in 1970.

Like I said earlier, turned 14 in 1980. And no thanks on the hit. The 80's had its share of drugs too. We all thought the "Just say no" campaign was funny.
Now we did pretty much stay away from the harder stuff (That was because we all knew or knew of someone who went to prison because they did the hard stuff and may or may not have done the crime they were accused of).
The "hit" part was just a joke. I have no issue with anyone doing it, but I never got into it myself. Tried, but didn't really like it. It definitely was prevalent back in the 1970s though, especially at concerts. I was a beer guy myself, though I rarely even do that any more.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #35
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
The "hit" part was just a joke. I have no issue with anyone doing it, but I never got into it myself. Tried, but didn't really like it. It definitely was prevalent back in the 1970s though, especially at concerts. I was a beer guy myself, though I rarely even do that any more.
I couldn't resist saying no thanks on the hit. I knew you were joking. I did more than just try it. I was a top shelf girl if I had my choice. Though now, no vices. Unless this place counts as a vice.
And our kids and grands wonder why they can't get away with anything,
Advert
Old 06-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #36
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I couldn't resist saying no thanks on the hit. I knew you were joking. I did more than just try it. I was a top shelf girl if I had my choice. Though now, no vices. Unless this place counts as a vice.
And our kids and grands wonder why they can't get away with anything,
LOL! I don't have kids or grand-kids, but I laugh when my nephews and nieces, and now grandnephews and grandnieces, get frustrated because they almost always get caught by their parents when they get into mischief. And when their parents act high and mighty about controlling them, I think to myself, "If only those kids knew what I know about how their parents acted as kids..." Hey, there is a reason why a father worries about his pretty daughter and all the teenage boys. He was a teenage boy once upon a time!
Old 06-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #37
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
LOL! I don't have kids or grand-kids, but I laugh when my nephews and nieces, and now grandnephews and grandnieces, get frustrated because they almost always get caught by their parents when they get into mischief. And when their parents act high and mighty about controlling them, I think to myself, "If only those kids knew what I know about how their parents acted as kids..." Hey, there is a reason why a father worries about his pretty daughter and all the teenage boys. He was a teenage boy once upon a time!
It has been years ago but I got my son doing something. I just asked in front of his friends if he knew what he was doing was illegal. He said yes. I said you get busted don't call me to bail you out.

I was a teenage girl once. Probably why I told my son when he turned 18, take a picture of your date holding her ID. If she doesn't like the idea, she is probably lying about her age.
So yes, on these student/teacher relationships I believe the teacher should know better, but I don't think most of the girls are as innocent as they claim to be when finally caught.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I own a Fire Phone. I use it daily. Best $99 I spent. I put Google Play on mine.

The firmware is a tad buggy but I love it anyway. The only thing is Scribd audiobooks won't work on it but most apps will.

It's a great phone. I'm not sure why it failed. Maybe because they kept comparing it to a iPhone. The PPI on it is great for reading. It's a mini pocket Kindle.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #39
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I think there are probably not a lot of people actually using the device as a phone, especially now that it is a few years old.

On mine, the built in Kindle app is abysmally slow. It takes over a minute just to show any books. I have less than 20 on the device. Needless to say I almost never read books on it. (I find the Kindle app on my Fire tablets slow, too--but the phone is the absolute worst.)
I don't have that problem. Now when I go to "Books" it takes a minute to display any that's a bug I could do without but the actual reader is fast. I read on it all the time.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 06-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's a great phone. I'm not sure why it failed.
Because it came out at the same price as the iPhone & high end Android phones (HTC, Samsung). For the $99 it cost you it's great, but what about at the original price ($200-$300 + a two year contract or $650 off contract)?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Because it came out at the same price as the iPhone & high end Android phones (HTC, Samsung). For the $99 it cost you it's great, but what about at the original price ($200-$300 + a two year contract or $650 off contract)?
Well worth the price for all it does. Most quality phones are in the $400-$600 range and doesn't have half the bells and whistles the Fire Phone had. You can't get a decent phone for under $200. There are budget phones out there but they are not quality.

Mines unlocked never needed a contract.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 06-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Well worth the price for all it does. Most quality phones are in the $400-$600 range and doesn't have half the bells and whistles the Fire Phone had. You can't get a decent phone for under $200. There are budget phones out there but they are not quality.

Mines unlocked never needed a contract.

Sent from my XT1528
Many people didn't feel that way.

Comparisons to the iPhone aren't what caused the failure. Samsung phones are compared to iPhone all the time. Almost every Android flagship is. And they don't fail the way Fire did.

Here's a review from when the Fire phone was released: Amazon Fire Phone review

Here's what they critiqued. I think most other reviewers agreed: Although it costs the same (or more) as competing Android and iPhone models, the Fire Phone delivers a less extensive app store and service experience and more sluggish performance. Battery life is disappointing.

For what it's worth, I'd really like to see Windows Phones take off. They have a great OS. But like the Fire phone, lack of apps is hampering it. So it isn't like people are just dumping on the Fire phone because they don't like Amazon.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-09-2017 at 05:50 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:48 PM   #43
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I've never had a problem with battery life. I've read the reviews. It makes a great phone. I've never had it sluggish other than when it's syncing​ my huge Kindle library.

I think the marketing on the phone was the reason it failed. Had they went with the pocket Kindle angle it would have been a success. They went after the iPhone. Amazon did not the reviewers.

The Amazon app store is a joke. Add Google Play to it. It doesn't cause any problems.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 06-10-2017, 02:38 AM   #44
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
They went after the iPhone... The Amazon app store is a joke.
And that's why it failed.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #45
jswinden
Nameless Being

Lack of apps certainly helped kill the Blackberry phones. I liked my BB phones before the smartphone era got into full swing. But afterwards they were disappointing because you could only get a handful of useful apps. Research in Motion never understood that. I guess they thought they had a strong enough business clientele to survive, but business people wanted apps too.

On the Fire OS devices you can install the Google Play Store, but a lot of people probably have no clue about that. Plus you have to know what you are doing. In this day and age, most people probably don't want to buy a new device then have to spend hours or days modifying it to fit their needs. They just want it to do everything they desire and need right out of the box. Techies don't mind doing mods, but most consumers are not techies.