Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #16
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I just tried to recreate the issue with an epub that used html tables, and another open with even videos and tried going back and forth with BookView, Preview, and FindReplace but no crash at all. Everything was rock solid.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #17
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If using an external mouse doesn't help and if I can not recreate the issue with your borkified testcase, I will build a special debug version of Sigil that will hopefully capture and return some extra debug information so that we can hopefully see what is going on.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #18
Orphiex
Orphiex began at the beginning.

Device: Sigil
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I still can not recreate the bug, but I wonder if this has to do with your MacBook Air's mousepad or not. Do you have the mouse pad set up to create both right and left button clicks by pressing in certain locations on the trackpad? Or does it require a key modifier? If you have a spare usb mouse, could you plug it in and try to recreate exactly what you did with an actual mouse versus the track/mouse pad? Does it exhibit the strange click and move issue with tabs?

Also if you would take the html table epub and please run the Borkify Epub plugin to change all of the text to random garbage and post it for me to test with in case it helps to recreate the issue.

Thanks,

KevinH
Hi Kevin,

My mousepad is set up to use Ctrl-click for right-clicking, and I generally use my USB mouse. Also, I tested it again, recreating the circumstances in the last message using nothing but the USB mouse, and it crashed again. It also did the drag'n'drop thing using the USB mouse a few times before it crashed, so it's probably not that.

Anyway, here's the borkified version of that ePub. Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: epub HTML_table_borkified.epub (29.8 KB, 7 views)
Orphiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #19
KevinH
Wizard

Thanks for your testcase. I will try testing with that.

Would you please try one thing for me?

Unplug your extra usb mouse and try getting Sigil to crash using just the built-in mousepad. Something is generating extra mouse events that is confusing the hell out of Qt. I just want to rule out any usb driver related issues.

KevinH
Old 04-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #20
KevinH
Wizard

Also please check your System mouse preferences as some mouse drivers have a click and hold become the same thing as a right click or a drag depending on its settings.

For example, on my Desktop, if I click and hold my BlueTooth mouse on a new tab, it will drop automatically into trying to drag and drop the tab. This does not cause any issues for me on my machine.

Also if you have another Mac lying around, would you try it to see if Sigil exhibits the same issues on that machine.

Something is very strange in that you can recreate the crash exactly, and as needed, but I can not get it to crash even after playing around literally for hours.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #21
KevinH
Wizard

FWIW: I tried the borkified version of the epub and I still can not crash Sigil on my office iMac, my home iMac, and my MacBook.

So something is very specific about your machine set-up. If you can get a different machine to show the same problems, that would rule out something specific on your end.

Either way, over the weekend, I will try to make a build with some extra debug print logging to see if that helps us figure out what is going on.

KevinH
Old 04-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #22
Orphiex
Orphiex began at the beginning.

Device: Sigil
Thanks for helping out so much with this.

In order:

1) I tried unplugging the mouse and clicking around with nothing but the touchpad, and still managed to replicate the crash.

2) The system mouse and touchpad settings don't seem to have anything amiss. I tried turning off the Secondary Click trackpad option and switching around the tabs with the mouse unplugged, and while I wasn't able to make it crash, it still displayed the tab drag'n'drop effect. After I plugged in the mouse, it crashed again. I tested this again to make sure, and got the same result.

3) I wasn't able to find another Mac to test it on, I'm afraid.

Again, thanks for the help.
Orphiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #23
KevinH
Wizard

The drag and drop effect is quite different from a crash. Once you start dragging and dropping it seems to never correctly track the status. This is a Qt bug but it does not cause crashes.

I find it strange you get no crashes without the USB mouse plugged in. Is it an Apple Mouse or a third party?

I will grab an old USB mouse and plug it into my MacBook Pro to see if that helps me recreate what you are seeing.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #24
KevinH
Wizard

I have now tried to recreate this using 3 different usb mice attached to my MacBook. I simply can not recreate what you are seeing or any cashes at all.

Could this be related to your particular usb mouse and/or driver? Faulty usb devices can and do cause crashes.

So would you please try a different usb mouse or use the built-in mouse pad with your testcase for an extended time to try to recreate the crash. If you can not get Sigil to crash, then my bet is a faulty usb mouse or mouse driver.

If it does crash with the same backtrace, I will change the Sigil code to add some debug print statements to hopefully help see why your Mac is behaving so differently from my work iMac, my home iMac, and my MacBook.

Please give that a try and let me know what you find out and we can move forward from there.

KevinH