Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Is the ereader dead?
Only if I forget to recharge it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #17
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle oasis3/Kobo sage/nook4&4+/Kindle Scribe
you can pry my kindle from my cold dead hands

I CAN read on my phone and tablet but I don't want to...I can see why a "casual" reader would not want a single use device but I read approx 50 to 70 books a year and that number would drop quite a bit if I didn't have an e-ink device. I really don't enjoy reading my print books anymore either although I keep buying them *sigh*. Why does every ebook news story revolve around genre fiction? I can't be the only heavy consumer of literary fiction out there who uses a kindle to read but it sure seems like it.
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #18
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I don't have a smart phone. Not a fan of tiny screens or touch screens in general. I do have a Fire, but don't use it. It's too heavy to be comfortable. My laptop weighs about 10 lbs and my desktop about 30. Not practical for reading on the bus or during lunch breaks at work or at the dentist. I'm not fixed on eink. I am fixed on having a device that is as light as an eink reader, has as long battery life and a screen that is as good to read on in everything from bright sunlight to a dim room. If they come up with something else that meets that criteria I'd be happy to change technology. LCD devices (none of them) don't cut it.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #19
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneurette View Post
Why does every ebook news story revolve around genre fiction? I can't be the only heavy consumer of literary fiction out there who uses a kindle to read but it sure seems like it.
Isn't most fiction genre fiction? I hardly see any ebook news stories revolving around Sumerian language research, either. People use examples from things that are in wide use when generalizing.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #20
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneurette View Post
Why does every ebook news story revolve around genre fiction? I can't be the only heavy consumer of literary fiction out there who uses a kindle to read but it sure seems like it.
Literary fiction and genre fiction aren't disjoint categories. I mean, Jane Austen, Shakespeare, Faulkner, and Kafka all worked in various genres and are also considered literary.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:12 PM   #21
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I think it's ridiculous to argue that the ereader is dead because the users of ereaders don't buy replacement ereaders every year or two like people tend to do with smartphones. I've basically upgraded my ereader 3 times, from the original Nook, to the Nook Simple Touch, to the Kobo Glo HD, and I'm happy enough with my Glo HD that I don't expect to upgrade again soon unless there's some sort of major advance in screen technology, like full color e-ink, 300 DPI, for under $200.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #22
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't see a future to e-readers, as the sales of e-books will continue to fall, because the book released in a digital format will be stolen by pirates in days.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #23
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

People are reading a whole lot more today than ten years ago and all the growth is coming on the digital side. They're just paying less for those reads.
Do you have a source for this?

Thanks
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #24
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
OPINION noted. What it really means (and the whole article in general) is that I (personally) don't like eReaders. Well, whoop-dee-doo.
Well no, there's no such statement or implication in the article. He expressed something people around here say quite frequently: that ereader development stalled or plateaued years ago, and for the indefinite future. There was no indication of dislike and not much controversy beyond the headline (which is a headline, it's what they do). Not every less-than-glowing mention of something you like or support has to indicate hostility or 180 degree opposition.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What we need next is to move from glass backed screen to plastic backed screens and then that will be the next step in the Reader evolution.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #26
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I for one hope the eReader never goes away. I have an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro, but I only read on my Kindle Voyage and always take it out with me. Reading on my other devices is awkward at best, distracting and hard on my eyes. My Kindle has great contrast, is easy on my eyes day or night, light weight, convenient to carry and has a long battery life. It's the perfect device for reading period and I'd hate to lose it.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
I don't see a future to e-readers, as the sales of e-books will continue to fall, because the book released in a digital format will be stolen by pirates in days.
And how many sales do those pirated editions cost? After all, virtually every song and movie are also pirated yet that doesn't seem to be stopping the sales of songs and movies.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #28
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Our hollow-earth saurian overlords decide which books will be popular, anyway. I hear several prominent public figures are redirecting Amazon traffic to pirate sites out of a pizza shop in DC.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:23 PM   #29
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'll throw in my two cents.

Yes, we can read ebooks on all sorts of devices, but we can't do so comfortably.

Having said that, I'm actually going away from e-readers, I've owned three Kobos and on all of them I've eventually had problems with the micro USB port and charging becomes a challenge. I'm sick of that and refuse to keep buying these devices. I had Kindles in the past, and I remember having issues with at least one of them too.

Before I get slammed about being rough with the devices - I've never once had issues with phones or other micro USB devices.

I recently bought a Microsoft Surface Pro and I'm super happy with it - not so much with the e-book programs, but it is what it is.

I'm just about to retire and mobility/weight is not the requirement it once was so that's one less reason to depend on e-readers. Freedom!!

The only drawback I've encountered is that a Surface Pro is a real challenge to use when reading in bed. It's damn near impossible.
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #30
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Do you have a source for this?

Thanks
BPH financials.
There's several reports that show their revenues are flat over the past decade despite mergers, acquisitions, price hikes, and phasing out mass market paperbacks in favor of more expensive trade paper and hardcovers and the growth of audio and ebooks. In other words, they are selling less books. In parallel to this decline we have the rise of ebooks and especially Indie ebooks into a $2B a year business. Plus Kindle unlimited and Scribd. And since all those reads are cheaper than the BPH product the next implication is more books being read at lower prices.

The subscription services themselves justify the statement inasmuch as there are published reports from Scribd that the average subscriber reads 5 books a month. At $10 for the subscription those reads are coming in at $2 a pop.

Also, KU payouts for 2018 are running on track to exceed $240M in author payouts so if one assumes Amazon pays out all subscription revenue with zero profit (unlikely at this point) that would suggest some 120M full book reads (or equivalent) are taking place on KU, and displace well over a billion dollars worth of purchases. The real number is likely higher.

(There is also corroborating evidence in the Author Earnings reports but since those are fighting words to some around here, I'm sticking to other public sources.)

Nate has several of those reports linked at his website.

If I have time later I can point at some of them. But all they say is that a good chunk of the market has moved their reads to cheaper product while still spending the same or more. So more reading. Romance alone is evidence of that.

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-23-2018 at 02:31 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote