Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2016, 12:19 AM   #1
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
It would be nice to be able to set the page control.

New to KV.

I know there are virtual buttons to move to next/prev pages. And you can tap on screen to move too. But most of the time I use left hand to hold the book. It would be nice if I could choose tapping left side of the screen to move to next page, instead of now pressing right side to next page.

Since the virtual button is too close to the edge, I don't find it easy to press when I am reading one hand.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
New to KV.

I know there are virtual buttons to move to next/prev pages. And you can tap on screen to move too. But most of the time I use left hand to hold the book. It would be nice if I could choose tapping left side of the screen to move to next page, instead of now pressing right side to next page.

Since the virtual button is too close to the edge, I don't find it easy to press when I am reading one hand.
Is your KV jail broken?
Have you installed firmware 5.8.5?

Context is always important in a technical forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Is your KV jail broken?
Have you installed firmware 5.8.5?

Context is always important in a technical forum.
I am sorry if I posted it in the wrong place. Please delete it if I did. Mine is not jail broken and still waiting for the 5.8.5 update.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am sorry if I posted it in the wrong place. Please delete it if I did. Mine is not jail broken and still waiting for the 5.8.5 update.
You posted it in the correct place.

You can download and install 5.8.5 now yourself rather than wait if you want to.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...yage_5.8.5.bin

You can jail break the device either now or after the update to 5.8.5, your choice.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

What you ask will probably require internal changes to the firm ware, but now people reading this will know what version they should be considering for the change.
(sorry for the long sentence)
Old 10-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
344a
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You posted it in the correct place.

You can download and install 5.8.5 now yourself rather than wait if you want to.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...yage_5.8.5.bin

You can jail break the device either now or after the update to 5.8.5, your choice.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

What you ask will probably require internal changes to the firm ware, but now people reading this will know what version they should be considering for the change.
(sorry for the long sentence)
Thanks dude. I am updating my Voyage.

I was just asking, since I use my left hand to hold the device, it would be nice if I could tap the left side of the device to turn to next page. Is there a setting to do that in Kindle? (since I can do it in my Kobo)
Old 10-19-2016, 10:20 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

You tell us.
You are the second member who has reported using 5.8.5
Old 10-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The haptic sensors extend across the whole width of the bezel. If you hold the Kindle with your thumb flat on the bezel (which, for me at least, is the natural way to hold it), your thumb should fall on the "page forward" sensor naturally, and simply require a slight increase in pressure to turn the page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
And if that is still too narrow for you -- I just reach my thumb OVER the "page back" screen area and find the "page forward" area. I'm only 5'2" with small hands, and it works for me.

I read one-handed, with the lower left corner of the kindle balanced in the middle of my left palm. So I guess I'm not "clutching" the kindle at all. It is resting on 3 or 4 fingers, on the kindle's back, and my thumb is hovering over the screen in the front. I have to contort the thumb a bit to get TO the "page back" field; holding it at the bottom corner like this, my thumb is naturally in the "page forward" field.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:53 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

I was certain we had a tool to redefine the size and placement of the screen touch zones.

We do, it is one of the patches that can be applied with JBpatch:
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175512
and the Wiki page linked from that post.

The details of what can be changed can be seen in the patch comments:
https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/jbpatche...e-view-default

Note: Each firmware version requires a re-write (due to Amazon's obfuscated code).
The most recent firmware version supported is 5.3.4

I would suggest targeting 5.8.5 since it is running on all 6th, 7th, and 8th generation devices.

Note: Note: JBpatch is not Kindle specific, it can be used to patch ANY java binary at load time.

Last edited by knc1; 10-21-2016 at 07:01 PM.