Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
ihor
Enthusiast
ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
"Update Your Kindle" is disabled for my bin file (made by kindletool)

Dear All,

I did a font fix some years ago, and I want to reproduce it for my new kindle paperwhite. The firmware version is 5.4.5.1 (unfortunately updated without my concent when plugged wi-fi, so I can't jailbreak it).

With pw2 device I have a problem: "Update Your Kindle" is greyed for the bin file which I am creating.
For other bin files of other authors - e.g. with a very well known update_rescue_pack_20131220.bin - the menu item "Update Your Kindle" is enabled.

So, there is some difference, and I do something wrong when I create this bin file. Please, help.

My steps are next:
1) I've just taken kindletool from here - the MinGW version.
2) I'm working in Win7. I have a bat file makebin.bat with this command inside:

kindletool create ota2 -d paperwhite2 discover_install update_discover_install_pw2.bin

near this makebin.bat I have a folder discover_install with one file in it - install.sh. The contents of this file is next:

#!/bin/sh
cp -f /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/framework-api*.jar /mnt/us/
cp -f /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/MobiReader*.jar /mnt/us/

When I ran this file, the bin is created. But when I copy this bin into the root of the kindle device, and when I go to the menu "Settings", the "Update Your Kindle" is greyed. I connect my device again, and what I see: MY BIN FILE IS ALREADY MISSING! Something is killing it.

Question: what I am doing wrong when making my bin?
ihor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1* Wrong KindleTool
Grab the one from NiLuJe's snapshot thread.

2* https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083 Bullet #4
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:57 AM   #3
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
ihor
the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24939
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
ihor
Enthusiast
ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Anyway it still doesn't work.

Guys,

I've just downloaded the kindletool-v1.6.2.20-mingw.zip - this is the last version which I see in the snapshot thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

But on this wiki page https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
I see that serial number beginning from 9017 (my case) Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (4GB) - Support added in KindleTool 1.6.3.

Question: where can I get the KindleTool version 1.6.3?
ihor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
ihor that's the one Knc1 asks about the fact it's listed as 1.6.2.20 here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=95
NiLuJe's response:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=96

Last edited by Akirainblack; 09-24-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, assume anything > 1.6.2.1 is a RC for 1.6.3 . As you found out, your specific model isn't support by the plain 1.6.2 release, only by later snapshots.

(In this case, this will always be a valid assumption: anything > a.b.c.1 is an rc for a.b.c+1 ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote