Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2019, 03:29 AM   #1
price
price began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Question Is it possible to have a pocket shortcut on the new home screen?

Hi, I find it extremely inconvenient to open pocket with the new home screen. You need to open the menu and then tap "my articles".
So, is it possible to replace some parts of the home screen with a shortcut of pocket? e.g., when tapping "shop kobo" or "wishlist" on the bottome of the screen, it will jump to pocket articles.
price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:03 AM   #2
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
That's a good idea, it is much more convenient for users who use Pocket a lot.

I don't know if this can be done in patch.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I'd like this, too!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by price View Post
Hi, I find it extremely inconvenient to open pocket with the new home screen. You need to open the menu and then tap "my articles".
So, is it possible to replace some parts of the home screen with a shortcut of pocket? e.g., when tapping "shop kobo" or "wishlist" on the bottome of the screen, it will jump to pocket articles.
I don't use Pocket, or any other wi-fi option, myself. Are you saying that it currently takes 2-taps to get to the Pocket list, no matter where you currently are?

Does access to Pocket ever appear as one of the ever-changing options in the Home screen row3-column2 position? If it does, you could ask geek1011 (in the kobopatch request thread) whether there is a way to reduce those cycling options to a list of one. However, even if this was possible, you would still need 2-taps to access Pocket if you weren't already on the Home screen, so it doesn't sound like much of an improvement.

Have I misunderstood how it currently works?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
price

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't use Pocket, or any other wi-fi option, myself. Are you saying that it currently takes 2-taps to get to the Pocket list, no matter where you currently are?

Does access to Pocket ever appear as one of the ever-changing options in the Home screen row3-column2 position? If it does, you could ask geek1011 (in the kobopatch request thread) whether there is a way to reduce those cycling options to a list of one. However, even if this was possible, you would still need 2-taps to access Pocket if you weren't already on the Home screen, so it doesn't sound like much of an improvement.

Have I misunderstood how it currently works?
yeah, sounds you are right...
Advert
Old 01-16-2019, 01:20 AM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I'd like this, too!
Me too!

Quote:

Does access to Pocket ever appear as one of the ever-changing options in the Home screen row3-column2 position?

Unfortunately, no
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #7
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I miss this feature. I use Pocket all the time. Until recently, it would occupy the bottom right section where "Collections" now resides. Now I have to hunt for it, too.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
maximus83
Nameless Being

Agree with the OP, immediate access on the home screen would be handy. I dug into the Kobo .config file to search for options to manually change settings, but no luck.

The 2-tap option is workable though: Main Menu > Articles
Old 03-01-2019, 09:42 PM   #9
price

Quote:
Does access to Pocket ever appear as one of the ever-changing options in the Home screen row3-column2 position? If it does, you could ask geek1011 (in the kobopatch request thread) whether there is a way to reduce those cycling options to a list of one.
yeah, i just found this, but it only pops up when new items are added.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #10
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
yeah, i just found this, but it only pops up when new items are added.
Ok, that might be possible to do. I'll look into this sometime in the next week.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #11
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are the patches: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=181

Quote:
I have released v42 with 4 new patches to change the behaviour of the SmartLink on the home screen (the changing link on the bottom-right) as well as a few bug fixes.

Set visible SmartLink (by @geek1011):
This patch allows you to force the SmartLink to show a specific link. See the list at the bottom of this post for the options.

Only show Pocket SmartLink (by @geek1011):
This patch makes the SmartLink only show Pocket. It also changes the text to be more fitting for being always displayed.

Only show stats SmartLink (by @geek1011):
This patch always shows the stats link.

Never show Kobo Plus, wishlist, and points SmartLinks (by @geek1011):
This patch removes the Kobo Plus, wishlist, and points links from the rotation, which cannot be made to disappear without taking the action (like signing up for Kobo Plus, spending your points, and adding something to your wishlist).

For reference, here are the patches:
Spoiler:
Code:
Set visible SmartLink:
  - Enabled: no
  - PatchGroup: SmartLink
  - Description: |
      Sets the currently visible smartlink (does not override priority messages).
  # SmartLinks: (name from SmartLinkWidget::getAnalyticsMessage)
  #  # - internal name   - default condition                                   - what                                                             - action
  # PRIORITY MESSAGES (shown first up to 3 times each): (SmartLinkWidget::showPriorityMessage, ActivityManager::smartLinkPriorityMessage, SmartLinkWidget::tapped)
  #  5 - ReleaseNotes    - whats new available from Activity                   - RELEASE NOTES: Find out what's new in this software update       - whats new (from Activity)
  #  6 - OverdriveFTE    - overdrive enabled && not signed in                  - OVERDRIVE: Learn how to borrow eBooks from your public library   - overdrive about
  #  7 - KoboPlusFTE     - kobo plus enabled && not subscribed                 - KOBO PLUS: Browse Kobo Plus books                                - kobo store -> kobo plus
  # ROTATION MESSAGES (randomly chosen): (SmartLinkWidget::showRotationMessage, ActivityManager::smartLinkGeneralMessage, SmartLinkWidget::tapped)
  #  1 - Pocket          - pocket not signed in                                - POCKET: Read articles from the web on your eReader               - pocket about
  #  2 - KoboPlus        - kobo plus enabled && not subscribed                 - KOBO PLUS: Get unlimited access to books in all genres           - kobo store -> kobo plus
  #  2 - KoboPlus        - kobo plus enabled && not subscribed                 - KOBO PLUS: Read as much as you want with our ebook subscription  - kobo store -> kobo plus
  #  3 - Overdrive       - overdrive enabled && not signed in                  - OVERDRIVE: Borrow eBooks from your public library                - overdrive about
  #  4 - Categories      - always                                              - CATEGORIES: Browse fiction, romance, biography and more          - kobo store -> categories
  #  8 - NaturalLight    - has light sensor && not viewed tutorial             - DEVICE NAME: Learn about the Natural Light feature               - rgb front light about
  #  9 - QuickTour       - quick tour not shown && quick turn tile not visible - GETTING STARTED: Get to know your %0                             - quick tour
  # 10 - ReadingTour     - read a book tour not showed                         - READING A BOOK: Get quick tips about reading on your eReader     - read a book tutorial
  # 11 - UserGuide       - user guide present && not opened                    - USER GUIDE: Read the user guide for your %0                      - read -> user guide
  # 12 - RelatedReads    - recent book available from Activity                 - RELATED READS: Discover books related to the ones you're reading - browse -> similar books
  # 13 - Wishlist        - no wishlist items || something else                 - WISHLIST: Create a Wishlist of books you're interested in        - browse -> wishlist
  # 14 - ReadingSettings - reading settings not changed                        - READING SETTINGS: Customize the way you read a book              - settings -> reading settings
  # 15 - ReadingStats    - books finished > 0 && hours read rounded to .5 > 0  - READING STATS: You've finished %n books and read for %n hours    - reading life -> stats
  # 16 - SuperPoints     - participating in super points && points > 2400      - KOBO SUPER POINTS: You have %0 Super Points to redeem            - kobo store
  # 17 - PocketUser      - unread pocket articles > 0                          - POCKET: Catch up on the %n article(s) you added recently         - library -> pocket
  #
  # in SmartLinkWidget::showRotationMessage, which is the only caller of ActivityManager::smartLinkGeneralMessage:
  # change the result of the call to ActivityManager::smartLinkGeneralMessage:
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x8DBA68, FindBLX: 0x42744C, ReplaceH: 4F F0 04 00}
  # set the new SmartLink to show (you can set this to your preference based on the
  # previous list, but it MUST be one of the above options, or you may need to
  # factory reset):
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 0x8DBA6A, Find: 4, Replace: 4}

Only show Pocket SmartLink:
      Only show the Pocket SmartLink on the home screen.
  # in SmartLinkWidget::showRotationMessage:
  # change the result of the call to ActivityManager::smartLinkGeneralMessage to 17 (0x11):
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x8DBA68, FindBLX: 0x42744C, ReplaceH: 4F F0 11 00}
  # replace the text:
  - FindReplaceString: {Find: "Catch up on the %n article(s) you added recently", Replace: "My Articles"}
# - FindReplaceString: {Find: "Catch up on the %n article(s) you added recently", Replace: "My Articles (%n unread)"}

Only show stats SmartLink:
      Only show the stats SmartLink on the home screen.
  # in SmartLinkWidget::showRotationMessage:
  # change the result of the call to ActivityManager::smartLinkGeneralMessage to 15 (0x0F):
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x8DBA68, FindBLX: 0x42744C, ReplaceH: 4F F0 0F 00}

Never show Kobo Plus, wishlist, and points SmartLinks:
      Removes Kobo Plus, wishlist, and points SmartLinks from the rotation.
  # in ActivityManager::smartLinkGeneralMessage(ActivityManager *this, const Device *a2):
  # NOP Kobo Plus (2):
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x5BACAA, FindBLX: 0x405110}
  # NOP wishlist (13):
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x5BABFC, FindBLX: 0x405110}
  # NOP super points (16):
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x5BAE34, FindBLX: 0x405110}

Here are the things I figured out about the SmartLinks while working on these patches:
Spoiler:
Code:
SmartLinks: (name from SmartLinkWidget::getAnalyticsMessage)
 # - internal name   - default condition                                   - what                                                             - action
PRIORITY MESSAGES (shown first up to 3 times each): (SmartLinkWidget::showPriorityMessage, ActivityManager::smartLinkPriorityMessage, SmartLinkWidget::tapped)
 5 - ReleaseNotes    - whats new available from Activity                   - RELEASE NOTES: Find out what's new in this software update       - whats new (from Activity)
 6 - OverdriveFTE    - overdrive enabled && not signed in                  - OVERDRIVE: Learn how to borrow eBooks from your public library   - overdrive about
 7 - KoboPlusFTE     - kobo plus enabled && not subscribed                 - KOBO PLUS: Browse Kobo Plus books                                - kobo store -> kobo plus
ROTATION MESSAGES (randomly chosen): (SmartLinkWidget::showRotationMessage, ActivityManager::smartLinkGeneralMessage, SmartLinkWidget::tapped)
 1 - Pocket          - pocket not signed in                                - POCKET: Read articles from the web on your eReader               - pocket about
 2 - KoboPlus        - kobo plus enabled && not subscribed                 - KOBO PLUS: Get unlimited access to books in all genres           - kobo store -> kobo plus
 2 - KoboPlus        - kobo plus enabled && not subscribed                 - KOBO PLUS: Read as much as you want with our ebook subscription  - kobo store -> kobo plus
 3 - Overdrive       - overdrive enabled && not signed in                  - OVERDRIVE: Borrow eBooks from your public library                - overdrive about
 4 - Categories      - always                                              - CATEGORIES: Browse fiction, romance, biography and more          - kobo store -> categories
 8 - NaturalLight    - has light sensor && not viewed tutorial             - DEVICE NAME: Learn about the Natural Light feature               - rgb front light about
 9 - QuickTour       - quick tour not shown && quick turn tile not visible - GETTING STARTED: Get to know your %0                             - quick tour
10 - ReadingTour     - read a book tour not showed                         - READING A BOOK: Get quick tips about reading on your eReader     - read a book tutorial
11 - UserGuide       - user guide present && not opened                    - USER GUIDE: Read the user guide for your %0                      - read -> user guide
12 - RelatedReads    - recent book available from Activity                 - RELATED READS: Discover books related to the ones you're reading - browse -> similar books
13 - Wishlist        - no wishlist items || something else                 - WISHLIST: Create a Wishlist of books you're interested in        - browse -> wishlist
14 - ReadingSettings - reading settings not changed                        - READING SETTINGS: Customize the way you read a book              - settings -> reading settings
15 - ReadingStats    - books finished > 0 && hours read rounded to .5 > 0  - READING STATS: You've finished %n books and read for %n hours    - reading life -> stats
16 - SuperPoints     - participating in super points && points > 2400      - KOBO SUPER POINTS: You have %0 Super Points to redeem            - kobo store
17 - PocketUser      - unread pocket articles > 0                          - POCKET: Catch up on the %n article(s) you added recently         - library -> pocket
Old 03-04-2019, 03:54 AM   #12
price

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I can't believe you have worked it out! I have already given up this!
Old 03-04-2019, 06:27 PM   #13
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
I can't believe you have worked it out! I have already given up this!
You're welcome .
Old 03-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #14
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Help. Can anyone explain how these new patches work with some of the other home page patches? I have the eliminate row 3 patch enabled, and when I tried to enable the only show Pocket smartlink, nothing changes with my home screen. Is that because Pocket is a row 3 item, or am I totally missing the obvious?
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #15
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
Help. Can anyone explain how these new patches work with some of the other home page patches? I have the eliminate row 3 patch enabled, and when I tried to enable the only show Pocket smartlink, nothing changes with my home screen. Is that because Pocket is a row 3 item, or am I totally missing the obvious?
Pocket is a row 3 item.