Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-06-2018, 05:46 AM   #1
Letters
Letters began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Reading with low light or darkness: Oasis 2 invert or Kobo Comfortlight Pro

Since there are currently no Kindles with warm light option, the only one that has a kind of night reading feature is the Oasis 2. I am curious if people can compare the Oasis 2's color invert mode with Kobo's Comfortlight Pro.

Which one is easier on the eyes in low light or complete darkness?
Which one would you recommend?
Letters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
It is pretty subjective feeling IMO.

When the first iPad came out, its backlight was very strong even with the brightness level on the very minimum, so, I used to read at night using yellow sunglasses until I found pdf app that was really capable of reducing the brightness completely, instead of just faking it by using darker colors.

Anti Glare Eyeglasses, Anti Blue Rays, Computer Reading Glasses (Black, Yellow Tinted Lenses)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=mr060-20&th=1

Last edited by Marinolino; 06-06-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I read every night in a dark room on my Oasis 2017. I've tried the invert option, but it reduces the contrast too much for me. I do turn the light down to about 9 to start with, and if I read more than a few minutes, turn it down more as my eyes adjust.

I also read in bed without my glasses, which means I hold the device very close to my eyes, 7-8" away. I'm extremely nearsighted, and also have mild nystagmus.

I can't read in a dark room on my iPhone or iPad mini, even with white text on a dark background. But I can read for long periods on the Oasis, even in a dark room, with no issues.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
It ends up being subjective, but I have noticed a difference in the kind of (white) frontlights across ereaders from different companies.

IMHO, Pocketbook did not even need something like a comfortlight, because its lights were always warmish yellow-tinted. Inverted colours are still nice to have though for night reading (achievable with Koreader on Pocketbook).

In contrast, comfortlight on Kobo is a must-have, not just a nice-to-have, because Kobo's lights emit intensely evil blue. Since I come from Pocketbook, Kobo's evil blue was particularly noticeable for me. A Kobo without comfortlight is not good for night reading.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
It ends up being subjective, but I have noticed a difference in the kind of (white) frontlights across ereaders from different companies.

IMHO, Pocketbook did not even need something like a comfortlight, because its lights were always warmish yellow-tinted. Inverted colours are still nice to have though for night reading (achievable with Koreader on Pocketbook).

In contrast, comfortlight on Kobo is a must-have, not just a nice-to-have, because Kobo's lights emit intensely evil blue. Since I come from Pocketbook, Kobo's evil blue was particularly noticeable for me. A Kobo without comfortlight is not good for night reading.
Which of the Kobo devices emit "evil" blue light? Since the lights have been added to the Kobo devices, people have commented on the colour for each of the devices. Some have been bluer, some have been yellower. And there have been an equal amount of complaints for both. Or are you just talking about the newer devices with ComfortLight Plus that can control the colour of the light? Are you judging the colour when the other colour options are completely turned off?

As to calling blue light "evil", isn't the problem the time of day? The recommendation is to decrease the blue light before bed to improve your sleep. I don't think I've ever seen a recommendation against it at other times of the day.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2018, 11:49 PM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
For me the issue with inverted Oasis 2 is the brightness. In inverted the light cannot be turned down (always on) enough in a dark room - much brighter than level 1 that I use in normal. I end up just leaving my Oasis 2 on level 1 all the time, night and day.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:35 AM   #7
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Which of the Kobo devices emit "evil" blue light?
I have seen just one Kobo device close, the one that I own, and I compare it to the other devices I own and have owned. I assume Kobo's lights always come from the same provider. I could be wrong.

Quote:
As to calling blue light "evil", isn't the problem the time of day?
Yes, part of the problem is the time of day. Kobo's blue is particularly felt in near-complete or complete darkness and particularly in comparison with other devices. Lacking a point of comparison, you maybe would not notice.

Kobo's blue frontlight is barely tolerable for me in darkness with black background. In dimness (i.e. light enough to walk around in the room without lights on, but too dim to read without lights on) it's more tolerable. At brighter times, frontlighting becomes irrelevant, because you can read without it anyway.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:28 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
I have seen just one Kobo device close, the one that I own, and I compare it to the other devices I own and have owned. I assume Kobo's lights always come from the same provider. I could be wrong.

Yes, part of the problem is the time of day. Kobo's blue is particularly felt in near-complete or complete darkness and particularly in comparison with other devices. Lacking a point of comparison, you maybe would not notice.

Kobo's blue frontlight is barely tolerable for me in darkness with black background. In dimness (i.e. light enough to walk around in the room without lights on, but too dim to read without lights on) it's more tolerable. At brighter times, frontlighting becomes irrelevant, because you can read without it anyway.
As you list an Kobo Aura H2O in your devices, then I assume you are talking about that. (It probably is a good idea to state this so there is no confusion.) I also have an Aura H2O and do not find the light to bright for a dark room. I turn the light level down, but think I stop at around level 5.

For the colour, it has never bothered me. I'm not convinced by the arguments about the blue light, but I don't see this as being more blue than any other lighting around me.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:30 AM   #9
mobama
Evangelist

Quote:
As you list an Kobo Aura H2O in your devices, then I assume you are talking about that. (It probably is a good idea to state this so there is no confusion.)
Correct. And I am comparing it to the other devices I listed. The difference is noticeable.

By the way, the Onyx Boox I own has "warm" and "cold" options in its frontlight settings. By default, "warm" is on. This matches my Pocketbook's (unconfigurable) light temperature. Turning Onyx's light to "cold" makes it almost as evil blue as a Kobo. I don't use the "cold" setting.

If you are not sensitive to light differences, good for you.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #10
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
IMO the best dark room reading experience is inverted screen with an orange comfort light. I've never tried it on a kobo (I did it on a nook) but it should work okay on a comfort-light capable kobo as long as the light dims enough. I think the new 6" has the comfort light.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote