Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2016, 11:26 PM   #181
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Ken,
I just did an installation of Koreader on an Aura HD that had a factory reset done on it. Your directions in the OP were nearly perfect. Between steps 6 & 7 you need to copy the vlasovsoft folder to the .kobo folder. Other than that they work perfectly.
Jim
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:32 AM   #182
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Oasis
are there videos of what these alternative readers look iike? i.e. for pdfs etc and general usage...it would be good to say the layout of the new readers and how to disable/enable, some sort of visual guide

thanks
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #183
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
are there videos of what these alternative readers look iike? i.e. for pdfs etc and general usage...it would be good to say the layout of the new readers and how to disable/enable, some sort of visual guide

thanks
You can watch the Koreader in action here:
(if you're impatient, like me, then you have to skip the video at 21:30).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsJizVAMpDQ

If you like it, the installation info about KSM08 and Koreader its very easy. You can follow the dedication threads about.
WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #184
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast
Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
hi guys
i have found a Kobo Aura H2O on ebay for just 120$ , as i looked closly in the discription , it was written :
Rakuten Kobo e-book store, only PDF books that are sold in the Rakuten Kobo e-book store will be supported
so i want to know that wether or not is it possible to bypass this limit by installing and using koreader ,
thanks
Michael.A.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #185
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Any PDF will work as long as it uses either the standard Adobe DRM or no DRM at all. If it uses Adobe's DRM you would have to use ADE to associate your device with your Adobe account.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2016, 02:06 AM   #186
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast
Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Any PDF will work as long as it uses either the standard Adobe DRM or no DRM at all. If it uses Adobe's DRM you would have to use ADE to associate your device with your Adobe account.
yes i know that .

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

and i want to be sure that this marked sentence will not cause me trouble .

thanks .

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-08-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:11 AM   #187
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.A.H View Post
yes i know that .

and i want to be sure that this marked sentence will not cause me trouble .

thanks .
The person who wrote that statement has no idea what they are talking abut. You can sideload any PDF that you have. I don't recommend it, but you can.

The Kobo devices are the same worldwide. The firmware they run is the same world wide except for timing and some affiliates. Kobo release the firmware slowly around the world so it can take a month before everyone gets it. Some affiliates don't take all firmware. This mainly affects Japanese users as they seem to get every third or fourth update. The affiliate is decided based on your initial setup of your device and account. But, it can be easily changed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:19 AM   #188
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The person who wrote that statement has no idea what they are talking abut. You can sideload any PDF that you have. I don't recommend it, but you can.

The Kobo devices are the same worldwide. The firmware they run is the same world wide except for timing and some affiliates. Kobo release the firmware slowly around the world so it can take a month before everyone gets it. Some affiliates don't take all firmware. This mainly affects Japanese users as they seem to get every third or fourth update. The affiliate is decided based on your initial setup of your device and account. But, it can be easily changed.
thank you a lot , but why is it cheaper ? it makes me suspicious , it might have aproblem , but as i checked 116 units are sold and this seller has a 99,8% positive feedback . as you can see here .
but there are also ones with 200$ , as you can see here , and this seller has a 100% poisitive feedback .
so what is the diffrence between these two devices ??
i am really thankful for your such a quick and claer respond .
Old 07-03-2016, 06:11 AM   #189
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thank you a lot , but why is it cheaper ? it makes me suspicious , it might have aproblem , but as i checked 116 units are sold and this seller has a 99,8% positive feedback . as you can see here .
but there are also ones with 200$ , as you can see here , and this seller has a 100% poisitive feedback .
so what is the diffrence between these two devices ??
i am really thankful for your such a quick and claer respond .
I already expressed my opinion on the price difference in your "Which to buy" thread. That was basically, "no idea".
Old 07-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #190
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I'm going to take a guess that it means "you can sideload your own PDFs all you like, but don't whinge to Kobo Support if you don't get the reading experience you want with them."
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #191
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm going to take a guess that it means "you can sideload your own PDFs all you like, but don't whinge to Kobo Support if you don't get the reading experience you want with them."
i am not planning to use nickel to read my PDFs , i will be using koreader because of far more superior features compared to nickel ( handling PDFs ) .
does this mean i will not be facing any trouble ?
Old 07-03-2016, 08:01 AM   #192
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
i am not planning to use nickel to read my PDFs , i will be using koreader because of far more superior features compared to nickel ( handling PDFs ) .
Reading scientific papers will not give you a good experience on a Kobo compared to reading them on a tablet. Whether or not it will give you an acceptable experience for your tastes/purposes is up to you. I wouldn't do it in a pink fit.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #193
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
You can isolate your sideloaded PDFs from Nickel's processing altogether, then it would all be on KOReader to handle them. Not sure any evolving software can claim it will never be troublesome, in one manner or another. KOReader is constantly being "improved" and often new features added. Normally the latest nightly release is the most up to date. KOReader attempts to work on a number of platforms, running changing firmware, so finding the release that works the absolute best on your device (don't think "none" is covered) could require trying a few.

Just make a hidden folder, one that has a name that starts with a dot/period, like .pdfs and place you sideloads there. There is a detailed decription of the process in the first post as well as how it can be done with calibre.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #194
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If you are not intending to use the Kobo software, than any claims someone makes about how that software works is immaterial to you. That claim is crap. But, it is claim about how nickel works. If you use KOReader, then you need to look at what that claims to be able to do and decide if it is actually suitable for your usage.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #195
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
You can isolate your sideloaded PDFs from Nickel's processing altogether, then it would all be on KOReader to handle them. Not sure any evolving software can claim it will never be troublesome, in one manner or another. KOReader is constantly being "improved" and often new features added. Normally the latest nightly release is the most up to date. KOReader attempts to work on a number of platforms, running changing firmware, so finding the release that works the absolute best on your device (don't think "none" is covered) could require trying a few.

Just make a hidden folder, one that has a name that starts with a dot/period, like .pdfs and place you sideloads there. There is a detailed decription of the process in the first post as well as how it can be done with calibre.

Luck;
Ken
Quote:
If you are not intending to use the Kobo software, than any claims someone makes about how that software works is immaterial to you. That claim is crap. But, it is claim about how nickel works. If you use KOReader, then you need to look at what that claims to be able to do and decide if it is actually suitable for your usage.
Thanks for your replies .
i hope that i can make a good decision on the model and wether or not i should buy an ebook reader .
thank you guys .