Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #601
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I got my forma from Walmart. I had the oasis 3 for a short time I found it very slow. The forma is quite snappy compared to it. I like the size reading on it is very nice, prefer the menu system here. My only concerns that line on the screen and the page buttons that are kind flimsy. I’m going to try reading it in bed tonight and see how distracting that line is .
That's weird, neither of my Oases is slow. They're as fast as my Libra. My Nook is slower.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:35 PM   #602
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
If you mean the horizontal line on the bottom of the screen that can be turned off.

The buttons hold up rather well
No I mean the visible line along the leds
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:14 AM   #603
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’m conflicted it does read fine the line isn’t notice or in low light and with natural lighting in bed, my main concerns the awful power and turn buttons tough to press . They should be better for $250
Old 11-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #604
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Are the buttons really that hard [stiff] to enable a press?

I'll probably be buying a Kobo Forma or a Kindle Oasis 3 come Christmas time.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:20 AM   #605
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

The power button is a bit stiff which given its placement you’d want in order to avoid accidental sleep or power off but for me it’s not so stiff as to be problematic.

The page turn buttons are not measurably worse or better than most ereader buttons I’ve tried. I’ve had no issues using them
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #606
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:

I don't much like the power button either but as I use a sleepcover I'd be surprised if I use it more than once a month, if that. I don't think it would be physically possible to activate my power button accidentally.

I've never had a single problem with my page-turn buttons. Mine are very easy to press. One is quieter than the other but the "slightly-more-clicky" one is nothing like as loud as other readers I've owned (old Sony/Pocketbook) with page-turn buttons. I suspect every device is different for loudness.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:09 AM   #607
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I don't have any issue with power or page buttons. I've had it since the Forma first came out, so it's possible mine have gotten smoother. But I don't remember them being tough to press.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #608
Scarpad
Addict

Picked up a cover for the forma. Reading very comfortable on it it’s a keeper I couldn’t go to a smaller reader the benefits outweigh the small issues the screen line isn’t something I really notice anymore

Last edited by Scarpad; 11-10-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #609
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The power button on the forma is not too stiff at all. But.... it has to be pressed in centre. It has very poor tactile feedback, (no click, so to speak.) and it rocks on the sides, so if you press it on edge, some people's first reaction might be to just press harder until it finally registers the push.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #610
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
It must vary from device to device. My Forma's power button has a click feel - not enough to hear, but just enough to feel it. Page turn buttons make a faint click.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #611
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Picked up a cover for the forma. Reading very comfortable on it it’s a keeper I couldn’t go to a smaller reader the benefits outweigh the small issues the screen line isn’t something I really notice anymore

The Official cover or something different?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #612
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

I've noticed that my Oasis 3 has the smoothest buttons I've tried so far. I love them. (It's a thing for me, how easy the buttons are to press and if they make a sound when pressed.) Smoother than the Oasis 2 and definitely smoother than the Libra. I haven't tried the Forma. But just thought I'd mention that the Oasis 3 has nice page turn buttons.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:38 AM   #613
Scarpad
Addict

Quote:
The Official cover or something different?
$13 amazon works and feel good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3AFB228C-16D8-4D12-AF5B-8EA7D7198605.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	174865   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB9E99BA-0A61-4745-BC94-BEFE9200345D.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	174866  
Old 11-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #614
browncoat
browncoat began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD, Kobo Forma
Got myself a Kobo Forma now! (3rd reader in 2 months <_<)

The power button is *really* hard to press, wow. I was worried mine was broken!

Otherwise, I'm quite happy with it.

I returned the others so I can't do a direct comparison, but I feel like the Kobo has better contrast than the Inkpad 3 Pro I tried last week?
browncoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #615
browncoat
browncoat began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD, Kobo Forma
Also it is definitely the nicest ereader I ever held. I know the design isn't entirely original, but for the first time I feel like someone actually thought about "How do people hold this?" instead of just making it a tablet with a different screen!
browncoat is offline   Reply With Quote