Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #586
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Booky, MGlitch and Ikmiller, thank you for your informative responses--they fully answered my questions.

I have one more I forgot to include--on Kindle I can hold onto a library book a little past the expiration date by turning off wifi. Will this trick work on Kobo and OD books?
Depends on what you mean by a little past...minutes, hours, days?

Definitely, if I have the book open and am reading it, I don't get a "book expired message" right on time...But if you try to open a book, it won't work. If the ereader is just asleep, and woken up with the book open, it sometimes will work for awhile longer. I *think* that something to do with passing a new chapter, can trigger it to find out it is expired, but it might be more, if you try to jump around a book, it will realise it's already expired.

I haven't done this lately, and I'm not 100% sure if it works with kepub (ie direct download on the device), but it definitely used to work with ADE sideloaded OD books. If you just go into the menu and change the date and time (works better/more reliably if you do this BEFORE the book has expired) to be earlier in the loan period (but not before the loan started), then you can keep reading til you finish the book. I used to do this quite often, as I would read on the day it was due and not quite manage to get it done in time. I have even done this for several days when I didn't get it done in time, and there was a long wait-list to renew the book.

For all these tricks, the wifi should be off, or it will likely trigger the expired message.

Edit: oh and if you do the last trick, remember to change the date/time back when you're done....otherwise, you can get a bit weird behaviour. And while you have it changed, the "right" book cover might not show/it might not show the right book as "most recent". Only really noticeable if you read multiple books at once though.

Last edited by Uschiekid; 11-06-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:27 AM   #587
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Myself as well..

But - I'd tolerate some more weight if I could figure out someway to make the grip/handle thicker and more comfortable to hold in my hand!

hah

More seriously on weight - I do wonder how much I'd truly like a Nook GLP since they are so heavy. It's really hard to get a sense of it in the stores since they are on little "security tethers" and if you pull on it too much to get some slack and feel the weight, invariably the siren goes off and a CS rep has to come turn it off (happened to me 3 times now)
If I've been reading on my Forma and I switch to the Nook, I'll notice that it's heavier at first. But only for a moment. I definitely prefer buttons on both sides and bezels all around. I find the button side of the Forma comfortable to hold. But I wish it didn't taper away to practically nothing on the opposite edge. I imagine I'd like the Libra, but I prefer the larger screen.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #588
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That’s a really good point about the non-handle side and how thin and nothing it is there in terms of something to touch or grab…

I’m on my iPad right now… It’s an older one which has lots of bezel… And it’s just amazing if I pay attention, how much I unconsciously switch between one hand or the other being the dominant one and doing all the grabbing and holding device.

I have this feeling that the nook would be like that also since it’s got full bezel on all sides and both buttons on both sides. It’s very comfortable
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #589
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
That’s a really good point about the non-handle side and how thin and nothing it is there in terms of something to touch or grab…

I’m on my iPad right now… It’s an older one which has lots of bezel… And it’s just amazing if I pay attention, how much I unconsciously switch between one hand or the other being the dominant one and doing all the grabbing and holding device.

I have this feeling that the nook would be like that also since it’s got full bezel on all sides and both buttons on both sides. It’s very comfortable
Hmm I've never switched hands unconsciously, not even with paper books. That's probably why I actually like the lopsided design more than the ordinary one. I must make a conscious decision to switch hands anyway.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #590
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Hmm I've never switched hands unconsciously, not even with paper books. That's probably why I actually like the lopsided design more than the ordinary one. I must make a conscious decision to switch hands anyway.
Really?
Huh. Interesting.

As I sit here and I pay attention to it, I’m literally doing it all the time if there is something to grab on both sides.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #591
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Really?
Huh. Interesting.

As I sit here and I pay attention to it, I’m literally doing it all the time if there is something to grab on both sides.
I'm right handed but I only ever hold my ereaders with my left hand. And I never switch. In my right hand just doesn't feel comfortable.

I can just see you sitting there constantly switching hands. Quite the workout I would say.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #592
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
I'm right handed but I only ever hold my ereaders with my left hand. And I never switch. In my right hand just doesn't feel comfortable.

I can just see you sitting there constantly switching hands. Quite the workout I would say.
You guys are thinking about it wrong or perhaps just differently.

It’s not so much switching hands as holding it with both and then sometimes one or the other, alternating, totally unconsciously, in terms of what’s comfortable and how I’m leaning or sitting.

The more I pay attention to it the more amazed I am how both hands are getting used so frequently.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #593
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It’s not so much switching hands as holding it with both and then sometimes one or the other, alternating, totally unconsciously, in terms of what’s comfortable and how I’m leaning or sitting.

The more I pay attention to it the more amazed I am how both hands are getting used so frequently.
I see. I've never held any book or ereader with both hands. No wonder you don't like the irregular design, then.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #594
bookyboy
Addict

Quote:
I see. I've never held any book or ereader with both hands. No wonder you don't like the irregular design, then.
It is particularly acute for me the larger the device. The 6 inch class devices are all extremely one-handed for me.

I’m really hoping Barnes and Noble has a holiday deal of some kind on the plus so I could give it a good go
Old 11-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #595
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
The major draw for me to switch to ereaders initially was holding them one handed. Most mass market books can be held one handed for most of the book but at the start and end it’s trickier. Hardcover is just annoying. Trade paperbacks are too floppy.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #596
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
The major draw for me to switch to ereaders initially was holding them one handed. Most mass market books can be held one handed for most of the book but at the start and end it’s trickier. Hardcover is just annoying. Trade paperbacks are too floppy.
Yeah, that's what I immediately liked about them too. How much more comfortable they are to hold than paper books.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #597
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Depends on what you mean by a little past...minutes, hours, days?

Definitely, if I have the book open and am reading it, I don't get a "book expired message" right on time...But if you try to open a book, it won't work. If the ereader is just asleep, and woken up with the book open, it sometimes will work for awhile longer. I *think* that something to do with passing a new chapter, can trigger it to find out it is expired, but it might be more, if you try to jump around a book, it will realise it's already expired.

I haven't done this lately, and I'm not 100% sure if it works with kepub (ie direct download on the device), but it definitely used to work with ADE sideloaded OD books. If you just go into the menu and change the date and time (works better/more reliably if you do this BEFORE the book has expired) to be earlier in the loan period (but not before the loan started), then you can keep reading til you finish the book. I used to do this quite often, as I would read on the day it was due and not quite manage to get it done in time. I have even done this for several days when I didn't get it done in time, and there was a long wait-list to renew the book.

For all these tricks, the wifi should be off, or it will likely trigger the expired message.

Edit: oh and if you do the last trick, remember to change the date/time back when you're done....otherwise, you can get a bit weird behaviour. And while you have it changed, the "right" book cover might not show/it might not show the right book as "most recent". Only really noticeable if you read multiple books at once though.
I guess with the OD integration, merely turning off WIFI won't do it. Definitely something to consider...I have a habit of taking a few days or weeks off a book and returning to it.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:00 AM   #598
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:

This is me too. I usually hold devices in my left hand, but occasionally I'll shift. With the Forma or Oasis, it breaks me out of my reading as I realize I'm trying to hold that bezel-less side. Then I have to stop and think about shifting back or flipping it over. (Both of them seem to favor being held in the right hand too -- I sometimes feel like I have to fight to get the screen right side up with buttons on the left. Whereas it seems to flip instantly with the slightest lean to the right.) With the Nook, I can shift without thinking about it at all.

Another reason I'll never get a cover for the Oasis or Forma is because they look like they're on backwards with the buttons on the left as I tend to hold it.

I want to say B&N usually has some sort of Black Friday deal on Nooks, but I'm not sure.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #599
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got my forma from Walmart. I had the oasis 3 for a short time I found it very slow. The forma is quite snappy compared to it. I like the size reading on it is very nice, prefer the menu system here. My only concerns that line on the screen and the page buttons that are kind flimsy. I’m going to try reading it in bed tonight and see how distracting that line is .
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #600
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I got my forma from Walmart. I had the oasis 3 for a short time I found it very slow. The forma is quite snappy compared to it. I like the size reading on it is very nice, prefer the menu system here. My only concerns that line on the screen and the page buttons that are kind flimsy. I’m going to try reading it in bed tonight and see how distracting that line is .
If you mean the horizontal line on the bottom of the screen that can be turned off.

The buttons hold up rather well
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote