Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2019, 09:49 PM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Is Libra/Forma worth upgrading if you already have a Clara and H20 Edition 2?

I have Kindle Oasis,Clara HD and the Aura H2O Edition 2 6.8" still very good devices. Is the Libra or Forma worth the upgrade or am I better off sticking with my 6.8" H2O?
Just curious how people feel about it that also have the Oasis/Clara/ H2O 6.8"/Forma

Thanks
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:13 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I don't have the other devices, but really it's basically a question of do you want the additional screen size.

I do have the original H2O and I can say the Forma is a big step up from that. I'd say the original H2O is probably similar enough to the H2O2 that this is a somewhat fair comparison.

So H2O OG vs Forma, screen size is very big plus, the lightness, and balance are also huge. I actually like the buttons and use them nearly all the time which surprised me when I got the Forma. I'd given up buttons for smaller bezels quiet happily. The button wedge is nice for holding the Forma as well.

Cons of the Forma

The material of the wedge is a rubberish substance which picks up fingerprints very easily. This is solved by getting a skin from decalgirl. I'd use the skin anyway since I am not a fan of branding on my devices and thought Kobo's is subtle it's there.

The lighting is not perfect. It doesn't bother me, and I would argue that it's likely going to be different from device to device and person to person. Taking pictures of it accurately is hard because of course cameras try and correct for the lighting in general which can make it seem worse or better than it really is.

The Forma I got on launch and the one I got this week are both acceptable to me.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:30 PM   #3
Claude_C
Fanatic
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra & Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen
Well, for me, the question would simply be : Is Libra H2O worth upgrading if you already have a Clara HD ?

I really like to hold my ereader with only one hand.

When I see the "side bar" with the buttons on the Libra, I wonder if it's light enough, not tiring, and very comfortable to hold it with one hand a long time ?

Last edited by Claude_C; 10-31-2019 at 11:33 PM. Reason: precision
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:44 PM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Well, for me, the question would simply be : Is Libra H2O worth upgrading if you already have a Clara HD ?

When I see the "side bar" with the buttons on the Libra, I wonder if it's light enough, not tiring, and very comfortable to hold it with one hand a long time ?
It’s not just the weight that makes the Forma and I imagine the Libra easy to hold for long (multiple hours) ay a time. It’s the way that weight is distributed. It’s going to be heavier in the part that rests in your palm or crook of your thumb and pointer. And lighter on the other side. So unless you read in landscape with buttons on top you should be good.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:48 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post

Yep. I only ever read one-handed. The Libra is very comfortable to hold. You can switch hands, of course, if need be. But no, it's not tiring.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
Claude_C
Fanatic
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra & Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen
Thanks for your answers, Sirtel and MGlitch.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I have Kindle Oasis,Clara HD and the Aura H2O Edition 2 6.8" still very good devices. Is the Libra or Forma worth the upgrade or am I better off sticking with my 6.8" H2O?
Just curious how people feel about it that also have the Oasis/Clara/ H2O 6.8"/Forma

Thanks
The H2O is a 6.8" screen. Not much difference to the Libra. So not worth it unless you feel you need the comfortlight.

The Forma is a different story as it's an 8" plastic backed screen. So yes on the Forma if you want the 8" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:00 PM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hard to say. I might be the only person in the world who finds the Forma hard to hold and didn't like it much. I sold my KA1 to get the Forma, only to send it back two weeks later and buy a Pocketbook Inkpad 3.

I didn't like the wide bezel and the buttons and couldn't get used to the shape of the screen.

For years I thought I'd like a wider bezel to hold on to, turns out I don't. I read lying on my side either on the sofa or in my bed, the sitting and holding a reader one handed might happen about four times a year when I have to see my doctor. And for me, lying on the side, the Forma was a royal PITA to hold. I kept pressing the buttons involuntarily and my hands were hurting because of the wider way to touch the screen. I thought it was just a matter of habit and it would change but then I was afraid to be stuck with it if I missed the return window, so I sent it back.

Also the unusual screen shape really bugged me. For the first time in the past decade that I've used a reader, it felt like reading with a device, because the screen didn't resemble a book page at all. I read for about five minutes, put the reader down, picked up my tablet and surfed for a while. Then read for five minutes and so on.

Now with the Pocketbook I read for hours without pause, forget about the reader and immerse myself into my book, like I've done all my life. And even though the screen is a little smaller and I know it is impossible, I'd swear there is more text on the Pocketbook than was on the Formas screen.

So make sure you like the form factor and the way you need to hold the device, before you buy one or get one with a really good return policy.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:44 AM   #9
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Probably not.. the H202 is a truly fine device. But I personally do not like the Oasis 'inspired' format... others think it's the best thing to e-readers since built in light.

I guess the real question, other than the hand holding format, is do you notice the difference in DPI / comfort light improvements between your Clara HD and your H20? If yes, then you can get those same improvements on the larger screen.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Probably not.. the H202 is a truly fine device. But I personally do not like the Oasis 'inspired' format... others think it's the best thing to e-readers since built in light.

I guess the real question, other than the hand holding format, is do you notice the difference in DPI / comfort light improvements between your Clara HD and your H20? If yes, then you can get those same improvements on the larger screen.
There is a difference in the comfort light. It seems softer with the Clara. I will probably wait a while longer. I guess it will be dumb to get something that looks so close to my Oasis.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
There is a difference in the comfort light. It seems softer with the Clara. I will probably wait a while longer. I guess it will be dumb to get something that looks so close to my Oasis.
But that depends on which Oasis you have. If you have the first Oasis, then dumping it would be a rather good idea. The battery case was a really stupid idea on the part of Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote