Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2019, 07:33 AM   #61
DaRon
Enthusiast
DaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheese

Device: KT, KV, KA1, Pyrus mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
The only problem is that I don't have a fixed IP address, so I use the free noip.com but often forget to renew the freebie domain redirect.
disclaimer: little bit OT, but i thought i'll post it here instead of a PM - maybe someone else needs that as well.

@Cootey: don't know were you are from, but you could use https://ddnss.de/ instead of noip.com. ddnss.de is offering 5 hosts for free (no need for refreshing whatsoever) I am using it since a few years now, no complaints.
Note: i am neither the owner/developer nor anyhow connected to this website. Just regular (but happy) user.

dont know, if there is an english version as well, but i am happy to support if needed.
DaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:36 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRon View Post
disclaimer: little bit OT, but i thought i'll post it here instead of a PM - maybe someone else needs that as well.

@Cootey: don't know were you are from, but you could use https://ddnss.de/ instead of noip.com. ddnss.de is offering 5 hosts for free (no need for refreshing whatsoever) I am using it since a few years now, no complaints.
Note: i am neither the owner/developer nor anyhow connected to this website. Just regular (but happy) user.

dont know, if there is an english version as well, but i am happy to support if needed.
You still have to update the DNS with your IP if your IP changes. The only way you don't is if you have a fixed IP.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:40 AM   #63
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Maybe a Dropbox patch can be created for all kobos?. Just a shot in the dark.
geek1101 has already said he won't patch this feature to all Kobo, which I believe was also the stance taken for when Kobo added overdrive support with the Kobo Aura One.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #64
DaRon
Enthusiast
DaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheeseDaRon can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You still have to update the DNS with your IP if your IP changes. The only way you don't is if you have a fixed IP.
many routers support custom ddns scripts (such as routers with openwrt, dd-wrt, tomato, etc installed). so its a one time setup/config.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
many routers support custom ddns scripts (such as routers with openwrt, dd-wrt, tomato, etc installed). so its a one time setup/config.
But that means you might have to change from the stock firmware and not everyone wants to do that. Some firmware does have DNS services built in, but not all. SO while that might work, it also might not. And the DNS update client will work in all cases.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #66
DaRon
Enthusiast

dont want to highjack this topic...but:
yeah, you are right. the _automatic_ update might work or might not work (depends on your knowledge, capabilities and IT setup - totally agree with you on that).
the thing with ddnss is, that even if you dont have the possibility for an automatic update, there is no need to login once a month and confirm that you are still using the service - this is what is needed when you use noip.com and what has Cootey pointed out.
So, as long as the IP doesnt change, you dont have to login and do something.

sorry, just wanted to help.
Ron
Old 10-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
dont want to highjack this topic...but:
yeah, you are right. the _automatic_ update might work or might not work (depends on your knowledge, capabilities and IT setup - totally agree with you on that).
the thing with ddnss is, that even if you dont have the possibility for an automatic update, there is no need to login once a month and confirm that you are still using the service - this is what is needed when you use noip.com and what has Cootey pointed out.
So, as long as the IP doesnt change, you dont have to login and do something.

sorry, just wanted to help.
Ron
That's what the update client does. It makes sure your DNS matches your IP and that you don't have to login every so often. Thing is, if you don't run the update client, there's a good chance you won't know your IP has changed until one day when you try to access the computer remotely.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #68
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I can also suggest https://www.dynu.com/ for the same reason.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #69
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's what the update client does. It makes sure your DNS matches your IP and that you don't have to login every so often. Thing is, if you don't run the update client, there's a good chance you won't know your IP has changed until one day when you try to access the computer remotely.
You are misunderstanding the problem. see:
https://www.noip.com/support/faq/fre...r-get-deleted/
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
You are misunderstanding the problem. see:
https://www.noip.com/support/faq/fre...r-get-deleted/
Yes, you are correct. I got that part wrong. But from when I did use it, I didn't run the companion program. But I did get an email before the DNS expired every month. So I was able to sort it and keep it going.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #71
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Woa... Text Selection on Kepub is massively more responsive.. and the glitch with moving the selection handles twice, (once to unlock/close the pop up menu, then move again to actually change the selection.), has been fixed.
I was using epub. I don't use kepub, for various reasons.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #72
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by yur View Post
Pocket has gone weird after the update. When I open an article I just get the article title and a blank page, and if I try to turn the page I just end up on the last one (but with no text, just the “Back to my articles” menu).
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I hit that to.
Since the last update (4.17.13694), there is no longer a popup at the end of an article offering to remove, favourite or archive the article. Instead, the article scrolls back to the beginning and you have to use the lower portion of the standard menu with the options. I presume that's part of the interface redesign?

This new behaviour in 4.18 sounds like it might be an article fetch error or something similar. Has it been confirmed as a bug in the new update, and not some isolated glitch?
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #73
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle oasis3/Kobo sage/nook4&4+/Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I’ve no idea what you’re asking.

However an easy way to get this update is to plug your kobo into a computer open the.kobo folder and then open the affiliate file with a text editor, change the affiliate to affiliate=beta save eject your kobo then sync your kobo
Hello all of you Kobo experts! I am relatively new to Kobo- I bought a
Forma shortly after release and I haven't been too impressed w it- mostly because of a glitchy touchscreen, particularly in landscape mode. I've been patiently waiting for an over the air update to the firmware from 4.15.. because I didn't want to have to deal w contacting Kobo. Anyway the dang thing would never update and I attempted to drop the file into .kobo and still no dice- so I tried the affiliate edit and it worked!! I'm super happy now my touchscreen works!! Thank you all for posting and helping this lurker! Also no games in beta- maybe not on the Forma? Pocket is working fine for me on 4.18
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #74
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanon View Post
Since the last update (4.17.13694), there is no longer a popup at the end of an article offering to remove, favourite or archive the article. Instead, the article scrolls back to the beginning and you have to use the lower portion of the standard menu with the options. I presume that's part of the interface redesign?
No, that was a bug that should be fixed in this release.
Quote:
This new behaviour in 4.18 sounds like it might be an article fetch error or something similar. Has it been confirmed as a bug in the new update, and not some isolated glitch?
I don't think so. It is happening for articles that were already on my when it was updated.

As soon as I posted that, I thought of something. The change to scan directories starting with dots, meant that files for Pocket articles to be added as book. The next change to prevent this, actually triggered these files to be deleted. When I tried to open the articles, they weren't found and a blank screen was shown. I fixed this by deleting the articles from the device and redownloading them. The articles now open properly.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-01-2019 at 10:00 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:18 AM   #75
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Calibre support

Calibre needs to be updated to support firmware version 4.18.13737. I will do this in the next couple of days. My usual statement at this point is that there is no problem with using the option in the driver to support newer firmware until the calibre update is done. But, for Forma users who are using Dropbox, there is a small chance of a problem.

I don't believe there will be a problem. At the worst, I think calibre won't show books that have been downloaded from Dropbox. Or, the metadata shown might not be correct. At the moment, I don't have access to a Forma to test this. And, I'm not a Dropbox user.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote