Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #46
Websterny
Websterny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
My problem is this: With the Kobo mini, I would like Fetched News to be placed on a separate shelf. Following the instructions at the top of this thread under "Driver / calibre Configuration" works beautifully gets me almost there. Basically, those instructions create a user-defined "MyShelf" column which Kobo uses to create shelves (the new user column is used by Kobo to designate a "shelf" on the device). When adding my custom column I chose "column from columns" and included the script {series:ifempty(news)} , along the lines suggested on the thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-193063.html

This setup functions to do the following: "IF Series=empty THEN MyShelf = news". Calibre detects all empty Series fields and fills the corresponding items in the column MyShelf with "news". Kobo then creates a shelf MYNAME on the device, populated by all items designated as news (which were all the Series items that were blank. It also creates Shelfs for each distinct Series. For keeping my regularly fetched news sorted on a separate shelf this totally works (ONLY IF all items other than regularly fetched news have the Series info filled in; all items with a blank series, which includes fetched items, are put on the News shelf).

Ideally, I would like the logic to work like this: "If Author=calibre then MyShelf=News" (since really the only items in my library with the author CALIBRE are fetched news sources). As another example, I would like a function like this as well: "If FORMAT = PDF [and no other formats] THEN MyShelf = PDF". Is anyone familiar enough with the logic of Calibre template language to perform something of this complexity? I have looked at the manual entry http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/template_lang.html and it seems very powerful but bewilderingly technical (I wish more actual working examples of templates were given in the manual; I can understand and modify examples ... The blank templates shown in the manual are less useful as I'm not sure what the generic names of the fields, like "val", really refer to).

Anyone have a handle on this? Thanks!

Last edited by Websterny; 10-31-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Websterny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #47
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Can't promise this as the optimum solution but try this...
  • Create a custom column
    • Name: news
    • Column Heading: News Article
    • Column Type: Built from other columns
    • Template:
      Code:
      {author:str_in_list('', calibre, NEWS,)}
  • Restart calibre
  • Add #news to the shelf list in the Kobo Touch driver

I've tried making the column and verifying it gets the right value but have not added it to the driver.

[EDIT]
I've now added the additional column to the driver's config and all seems to work as it should. My driver now has the values
Code:
#myshelves, series, #news
in it and works as expected; books with custom shelves get added to the valuie of the myshelves column, in addition to the corresponding series column, and calibre created news go to the NEWS column as coded in the custom column (news) above.

Last edited by PeterT; 10-28-2012 at 05:25 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #48
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
Thank you SO much my friend!!
I was trying for 2 1/2 hours to find a way to create selves from calibre.
You saved me!!
Thank you again.
Keep up the good work.
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #49
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Can't promise this as the optimum solution but try this...
Absolutely great! I wish I read the news, then I would have an excuse to use this!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #50
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One small thing about the Kobo driver for Calibre... When I set it to send black and white covers, the covers show up darker on the device than they do when a colour version is sent. It's not a huge problem, it's just less easy to discern the difference between book covers that are similar (eg. in a series). Is there an easy way to change the brightness when conversion to black & white happens?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
One small thing about the Kobo driver for Calibre... When I set it to send black and white covers, the covers show up darker on the device than they do when a colour version is sent. It's not a huge problem, it's just less easy to discern the difference between book covers that are similar (eg. in a series). Is there an easy way to change the brightness when conversion to black & white happens?
Sorry, not that I can see. I've just looked at the code that does this, and there aren't any options that could be passed to change something like this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #52
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, not that I can see. I've just looked at the code that does this, and there aren't any options that could be passed to change something like this.
Ah that's a shame. Not a huge deal though. Thanks for checking!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #53
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Well in my case it's not working. I added the new column without problem, it's the rest that is not working.

I configured the the Kobo Touch driver by adding #myshelves, series in the Shelves entry like it says.

Then I added a few books in Calibre of different genre, poetry and dark fantasy. So in the metadata of each book, the Personalized tab, My Shelves shows there and I added there the genre of each book, poetry and dark fantasy.

Then I plugged my Kobo, transferred the books to Kobo. Then I go in Kobo and there is no Shelf at all.

I tried after that adding #myshelves, poetry, #myshelves, dark fantasy, in the Kobo Touch Driver just to see and still no result.

I put "Metadata management" to automatic in case anyone asks.

Last edited by Nothingness; 11-09-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@nothingness: Picking the obvious cause as you haven't mentioned it, is "Create Bookshelves" checked on the driver configuration?

If you have that option checked, I need a debug log to see what it happening. To do this, start calibre and right-click on the preferences button. Then select "Restart in debug mode". When calibre restarts, connect your Glo and wait for the syncing jobs to finish. Close calibre and the debug log will be opened. Post the contents of that or send them to me in a PM. I will look at it to see if I can work out what is wrong.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #55
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@nothingness: Picking the obvious cause as you haven't mentioned it, is "Create Bookshelves" checked on the driver configuration?
Duh! I completely forgot that! OK, did that and it works. I did not put entries for the series but after seeing them on the shelves on the Kobo how it looks, I ended deleting the ebooks and added number + title for series, like you said in the "Changing Book Titles to include Series Info", and it looks much clearer.

I added the descriptions for the books as well while I was there, and it looks nice when I see the infos of the ebooks. But I think the font is too small though on the Kobo, it's barely readable.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #56
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
Duh! I completely forgot that! OK, did that and it works. I did not put entries for the series but after seeing them on the shelves on the Kobo how it looks, I ended deleting the ebooks and added number + title for series, like you said in the "Changing Book Titles to include Series Info", and it looks much clearer.
I'm glad that was the problem.

It is a good idea to play with how you have books setup now. Once you get a lot of books on the device, it gets a lot harder to change.
Quote:
I added the descriptions for the books as well while I was there, and it looks nice when I see the infos of the ebooks. But I think the font is too small though on the Kobo, it's barely readable.
Which font? If it is while reading, then you can change the size. While reading, bring up the bottom menu, press the "Aa" button. There you can change the font, size, line spacing and margins. On some books you can't change everything. This is because the setting is hard-coded in the book and the Kobo reader does not over-ride this. There is a lot of discussion about how to handle this.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #57
Nothingness
Zealot

Quote:
It is a good idea to play with how you have books setup now. Once you get a lot of books on the device, it gets a lot harder to change.
Yeah, this is exactly what I've been thinking, to handle this now since I just got the Kobo Glo, and I have tons of books to put on it later, and I love it when things are well organized.

Quote:
Which font? If it is while reading, then you can change the size. While reading, bring up the bottom menu, press the "Aa" button. There you can change the font, size, line spacing and margins. On some books you can't change everything. This is because the setting is hard-coded in the book and the Kobo reader does not over-ride this. There is a lot of discussion about how to handle this.
I'm not talking about the font of the ebooks, I'm talking about the font of Kobo Glo. When you go check your ebooks and you tap on the square on the right next to an ebook, and you choose "Show more infos", it's there that I'm talking about. It shows the cover, title, etc., and if you added an entry for Commentary in Calibre, you see there the summary of the book, and the font is way too small. I hope they will make the font bigger at some point.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #58
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm not talking about the font of the ebooks, I'm talking about the font of Kobo Glo. When you go check your ebooks and you tap on the square on the right next to an ebook, and you choose "Show more infos", it's there that I'm talking about. It shows the cover, title, etc., and if you added an entry for Commentary in Calibre, you see there the summary of the book, and the font is way too small. I hope they will make the font bigger at some point.
Check the formatting of the comment in calibre. This is also how the Glo will display the comment. Unfortunately, if you change the comment for a book already on the Glo, you will need to delete it from there before sending it over again.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #59
Nothingness
Zealot

Quote:
Check the formatting of the comment in calibre. This is also how the Glo will display the comment. Unfortunately, if you change the comment for a book already on the Glo, you will need to delete it from there before sending it over again.
There is no option there to make the font bigger. The only place that could change the font is in the HTML tab.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #60
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There is no option there to make the font bigger. The only place that could change the font is in the HTML tab.
I was thinking there was a font size option there, but I there isn't. Most times I simply remove the formatting to use the standard size which works well for me.