Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-05-2023, 05:05 AM   #1
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
USBNetwork and IP Addresses

Hello everybody,

Just checking as I'm not exactly a linux engineer though I work on it for SAP stuff...
So, I have managed to install the usbnet plugin and I got to connect from my Fedora system "natively" (though ens192u2i1 instead of usb0 is one heck of a device name, damn them!), and also I could connect to Kindle from my Windows 11 system installing the fake signed RNDIS drivers to transform the Serial USB device (COM6) to Kindle USB RNDIS Device (USBNetwork enabled).

Sweet. Now, being it a different network interface than my ethernet one (192.168.0.*), I assigned it a different network (I let the standard one, 192.168.15.*).

I know for a fact, 'cause I've done it with my PW3 years ago, that if I enable Wi-fi networking I can assign to Kindle an ip address in my standard network and connect to it via putty, for example.

My question is... is there any way that I don't know to somehow "merge" the networks and make so that I can assign the Kindle an address like 192.168.0.244 and still connect to it via USBNetwork?

Thanks!
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 12:24 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You can still connect to it via USB if you enable WiFi, but the two are different network interfaces (like, literally, two different PHY). I mean, there might be bridging available in the kernel, but, why :?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2023, 12:31 PM   #3
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You can still connect to it via USB if you enable WiFi, but the two are different network interfaces (like, literally, two different PHY). I mean, there might be bridging available in the kernel, but, why :?
Yes, I know... the point was having all my ip in the same network... but actually it would just be aestetics, now that I think of it, because there's no other use for that ip and that NIC in my pc if not to connect one to the other.

Anyway, I played with it for like an hour and then settled for an usb networking I'll use only in case of emergency and a wifi ip that I reserved for the kindle, so I can connect with it when I need to.
Thanks!
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote