Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #16
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Yeah, that's pretty bad.
No credit card extended warranty here. IT would just be 14 days from the store, then your basic limited year with manufacture (which as I understand it, you pay shipping both ways with kobo.)
jgbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:12 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
A mild FYI: MR does not allow altering quotations and misrepresenting what someone said. Quotes can be snipped and/or bolding added, but no more. Thanks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2021, 10:55 AM   #18
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbout View Post
From my understanding the Libra is pretty much solid, yes?
The troubles are Forma?

One very popular reviewing website replied to me that there are no more Flicker or Strip issues in the newer Formas (it was just the earlier ones.) But, some posts suggest it's continuing.
I have never held a Libra, but my thought on the Forma is that the strip problem was minor on my device. In other words, it never has bothered me, though it does bother some. I wouldn't count on it being absent. I find the Forma a bit faster on the hardware side than my Aura ONE, but in terms of build quality, there seem to have been issues with both. My Forma, for example, no longer connects via USB, which means my patches disappear with a new firmware update. This is an aspect of Kobo build quality which continues to bother me, as for example in the touch screen problems with the Aura ONE.
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:21 PM   #19
Maritimer555
Maritimer555 began at the beginning.

Device: Forma, Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Sony T1 and prs 350
I replaced my Aura One with a Forma a year or so ago. I use a sleep cover from Amazon.
I’ve had zero issues and love it.
There is a slight size difference and you should consider this. Before I upgraded to Aura One I loved that the small 6” Kobe’s I owned could fit in a coat or pants pocket when I’d go to an appointment etc. It’s harder to do that with the Forma. I rationalized the larger more expensive Forma as I mostly read in my house,cottage or on the beach. So carting it is a non issue.
I wouldn’t dwell too long as they are both great readers. I bought mine at the local Coles.
Maritimer555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:40 PM   #20
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Wow, my message disappeared.
Thanks MAritimer -- where abouts in NS ?

Yeah, mine wouldn't be leaving the house very likely.
My main thought right now, is the size of the Forma while reading laying down in bed. Would it be too heavy/awkward. I know the Libra would be mostly perfect in that regard, but that extra screen size is really attractive.

Weight/size holding while reading in bed, and, usefulness reading PDFs/Mangas that is. Lots of chess books I'd like that are available on PDF, a few comics/manga (probably not enough of this to warrant an extra $110). If I can figure out KOReader and it would fit the pdf pages to screen and retain that during page turns, then the Libra might be enough. I just figure it would fit better on the Forma.

I'm getting there !
Advert
Old 02-23-2021, 06:28 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
My main thought right now, is the size of the Forma while reading laying down in bed. Would it be too heavy/awkward. I know the Libra would be mostly perfect in that regard, but that extra screen size is really attractive.

Weight/size holding while reading in bed, and, usefulness reading PDFs/Mangas that is. Lots of chess books I'd like that are available on PDF, a few comics/manga (probably not enough of this to warrant an extra $110). If I can figure out KOReader and it would fit the pdf pages to screen and retain that during page turns, then the Libra might be enough. I just figure it would fit better on the Forma.

I'm getting there !
The Forma is a massive 5 grams heavier than the Libra. With the official covers, the weight difference goes up to 15 grams.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:14 PM   #22
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:

I'm getting there !
I'm sorry you can't see and hold them in person before buying because the "feel" of an ereader seems to be such a personal thing.

I have many ereaders, including both Forma and Libra. I got a Libra because the size and shape makes it slightly more portable than the Forma but, the times being what they are, I rarely leave the house. I am never tempted to chose the Libra over the Forma at home. I've never weighed them but I accept that the Forma is heavier only because I've read it so many times; my perception is that the Forma is lighter. That's possibly because the weight is spread over a larger area, or because it's thinner, or because the Liibra is somewhat slippery, especially the front of it. The Forma is very non-slip all around and feels astonishingly light to me. Because it is not at all slippery I don't feel like I need to hold it tightly so my hand doesn't get tired. I have a nice third party cover but I never use it at home (I keep the Forma in a sleeve). I find most ereaders more comfortable to hold when they are in covers because of shape or slickness but the Forma is an exception.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:19 PM   #23
jgbout
Groupie

Thank you very much. Very helpful. Well, helpful to my head, hurtful to my wallet.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:21 AM   #24
Maritimer555
Maritimer555 began at the beginning.

Device: Forma, Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Sony T1 and prs 350
Quote:

I'm getting there !
I’m in Pictou County.
I read in bed with my Forma every night. No issues at all. I love it.
Maritimer555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:42 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I'm sorry you can't see and hold them in person before buying because the "feel" of an ereader seems to be such a personal thing.
Many people buy a Reader without first trying it out. Most Kindles are bought online from Amazon. Most Kobos are bought online. So it's not that personal if most people buy them before trying.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Many people buy a Reader without first trying it out. Most Kindles are bought online from Amazon. Most Kobos are bought online. So it's not that personal if most people buy them before trying.
Yep, I've bought all my ereaders (more than 8) sight unseen. And have been mostly satisfied with them all (minor gripes aside). Never had to return a single one.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:34 AM   #27
jgbout
Groupie

IT's just no reviews on youtube show a PDF optimized with KOReader to give a sense of if it removes the margins and fits to screen for every page turn, and if text is viewable, even if it must be landscape (for scanned pdfs).

Just don't want to go through the return delays etc... (i know pessimistic, but practical too)
Old 02-26-2021, 10:40 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
IT's just no reviews on youtube show a PDF optimized with KOReader to give a sense of if it removes the margins and fits to screen for every page turn, and if text is viewable, even if it must be landscape (for scanned pdfs).

Just don't want to go through the return delays etc... (i know pessimistic, but practical too)
Watch the following video showing KOReader with a Kobo Aura One (7.8" screen). It's an old video, but it will give you a good idea of what KOReader can do with PDF on a Kobo. I cannot say what's changed with PDF since then, but if anything has changed, it's only gotten better.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:43 AM   #29
jgbout
Groupie

Thanks. Yeah I've watched, and it's encouraging, it's just there seems to be a big difference between 7 and 8 inch in some formats (or not), so don't know how well this would translate to a 7" in real life. Videos of the 7 are just far away or blurry enough to not know if in the hands it's viewable, or not. Ugh.... 1st world problems right <Grin.>
Old 02-26-2021, 10:44 AM   #30
jgbout
Groupie

I know pdf can be very readable on an 8ish device and impressed with koreader, just don't know how well that translates to viewability on a 7

Tags
ban, flicker, forma, libra