Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #106
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Thanks @Doitsu, @KevinH for the info! Moving right along ...
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #107
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Thank you!

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
@Kevin,

Done.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #108
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

P.S. Are the High DPI Setting and Tweak Drag Distance for Windows only? They are greyed-out on my Mac. Thx
Old 02-24-2021, 03:13 PM   #109
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes. Mac's users do not need to play with these settings. Although I have played with the Tweak Drag Setting internally (in the C++ code) so it is set specific for macOS anyway.

The reason it is needed on Windows deals with how monitors with different resolutions are treated that does not really impact macOS.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:27 PM   #110
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I have updated the src epub for the user guide in the first post once again.

See the attached: src_updated_20210301_01.epub

In that version the following chapters have already been updated or claimed:
  • about_epub.html (KevinH)
  • about_sigil.html (KevinH)
  • add_cover.html (KevinH)
  • book_browser.html (odamizu)
  • checkpoints.html (KevinH)
  • clipboard_history.html (KevinH)
  • clips.html (odamizu)
  • code_view.html (KevinH)
  • contributing_to_sigil.html (KevinH)
  • cover.html (KevinH)
  • external_editors.html (odamizu)
  • external_xhtml_editor.html (KevinH)
  • faq.html (KevinH)
  • features.html (KevinH)
  • find_replace.html (odamizu)
  • indexes.html (KevinH)
  • installation.html (KevinH)
  • introduction.html (KevinH)
  • links.html (KevinH)
  • manage_plugins.html (odamizu)
  • media_files.html (KevinH)
  • metadata.html (KevinH)
  • opening_and_saving_files.html (KevinH)
  • preferences.html (odamizu)
  • preview.html (KevinH)
  • reports.html (KevinH)
  • rights.html (KevinH)
  • saved_searches.html (odamizu)
  • special_characters.html (KevinH)
  • spellcheck.html (Ashjuk)
  • splitting_and_merging.html (KevinH)
  • styles.html (odamizu)
  • table_of_contents.html (KevinH)
  • titlepage.html (KevinH)
  • toc.html (KevinH - auto regen)
  • tutorials.html (KevinH)
  • tutorial_add_cover.html (Banjo)
  • tutorial_advanced_find.html (KevinH)
  • tutorial_code_view.html (Ashjuk)
  • tutorial_convert_to_html.html (Ashjuk)
  • tutorial_embed_fonts.html (KevinH)
  • tutorial_find_replace.html (KevinH)
  • tutorial_generate_toc.html (Banjo)
  • tutorial_getting_started_with_epub.html (KevinH)
  • tutorial_inspector.html (Banjo)
  • tutorial_links.html (KevinH)
  • tutorial_load_file.html (Ashjuk)
  • tutorial_mark_chapters.html (KevinH)
  • tutorial_metadata.html (Banjo)
  • tutorial_regex_reference.html (KevinH)
  • tutorial_save.html (Ashjuk)
  • tutorial_spelling.html (KevinH)
  • tutorial_split.html (KevinH)
  • tutorial_stylesheets.html (Ashjuk)
  • tutorial_tips.html (KevinH)
  • ui_customize.html (Banjo)
  • user_interface.html (odamizu)
  • validation.html (KevinH)
  • whats_new.html (KevinH)

All chapters have now been claimed. I will update this post when all of the edited chapers are in place.

Thanks!

Kevin

Last edited by KevinH; 03-03-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:55 PM   #111
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Asus Zen Pad
I went through all of my images for the tutorial on the Page Inspector and crunched them down a bit. Here is what I did.
  • Cropped out all of the unnecessary transparent areas.
  • Removed the alpha channel.
  • Changed the image mode to indexed.
  • Edited the color map to set the orange-y background color back to white.

I honestly cannot see any difference in the quality of the images.

The size of the images went from 1.1M to 480K. I imported the new files into the User Manual, and its size went from 4906986 bytes to 4281273 bytes.

I have attached a new zip file with the smaller images in it should you want to use them.

I will go back into the UI Customization chapter and see what I can do in there WRT getting the image sizes down a bit.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tutorial_inspector_small_images.zip (422.7 KB, 81 views)
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #112
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@Banjo,
Thanks! I will integrate your new images into the next version update hopefully tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:36 PM   #113
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Looks like someone has already crunched down the UI Customize images so I won't mess with those.

I will look at the list of chapters and see if I know enough about any of them to pick some up.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:28 PM   #114
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
... Still needing updating/editing:
Thanks for organizing into lists like this. Very helpful.

I would be interested in taking on the following — i.e, of the chapters left to do, these are the ones I'd feel most comfortable tackling. However, if I'm being a chapter-hog, feel free to give to someone else
  • book_browser.html
  • clips.html
  • external_editors.html
  • find_replace.html
  • manage_plugins.html
  • saved_searches.html
  • styles.html
Old 02-24-2021, 09:11 PM   #115
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@odamizu,
They are yours! Thank you!

I will update the list tomorrow to reflect what you have chosen.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:13 AM   #116
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
Looks like someone has already crunched down the UI Customize images so I won't mess with those.

I will look at the list of chapters and see if I know enough about any of them to pick some up.
I did those the other day, Banjo.

I think they are as small as they probably need to be bytes wise.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:34 AM   #117
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
I thought I would have a look at spellcheck.html. I have updated the images as per my files, and have started working through the text.

One item that I (personally) think could be changed is the style <span class="menuitem">.

I don't know how others feel but I find that, as this is used to differentiate the text contained within the span from the surrounding text, there is not enough of a contrast between the two styles, and perhaps more emphasis should be applied to the referenced text.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1614245582

I realise that if I play around with the properties of 'menuitem' in the style sheet this will affect the whole book so it needs to be something that works for all.

I will leave it as it is until I have heard what others think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	menuitem span.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	185602  
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:31 AM   #118
Banjo
Zealot

Quote:
I did those the other day, Banjo.

I think they are as small as they probably need to be bytes wise.
Looks good. Thanks for doing that.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #119
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, I updated the inspector images (thanks Banjo), updated the chapters claimed by volunteers (Thanks Ashjuk and odamizu), and I edited as many chapters as I could today leaving mainly the tutorials that need to be checked and edited if necessary.

The updated user guide epub can be found in the first post in this thread as: src_updated_20210225_03.epub.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-25-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #120
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Hi Ashjuk,

Please post the css class for menuitem that you feel will better distinguish it from normal text here so that others can try it themselves.

Thanks,

KevinH

Quote:
I thought I would have a look at spellcheck.html. I have updated the images as per my files, and have started working through the text.

One item that I (personally) think could be changed is the style <span class="menuitem">.

I don't know how others feel but I find that, as this is used to differentiate the text contained within the span from the surrounding text, there is not enough of a contrast between the two styles, and perhaps more emphasis should be applied to the referenced text.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1614245582

I realise that if I play around with the properties of 'menuitem' in the style sheet this will affect the whole book so it needs to be something that works for all.

I will leave it as it is until I have heard what others think.