Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 05-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #1
JosephWebber
Enthusiast
JosephWebber began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle PW, PW3, Nook HD+
Viewer only

Is it possible to use the Calibre viewer without adding the book to the library first?
JosephWebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:06 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Yes. See Command Line Interface / ebook-viewer.

You can make the calibre viewer the default for opening an ebook format. How you do this depends on what operating system you are using. On windows you right-click on the ebook file, choose "Open with", Choose another app, select the calibre ebook viewer, and check the box "Always use this app to open ...".

On Windows you can create a shortcut to ebook-viewer, for example on your desktop, then drag ebook files onto the shortcut to open them.

And so on ...
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
JosephWebber
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply.
I tried the Open With approach before and I could read the book but I got a "Reading metadata and adding to library" message as well.
Am I missing something?
Old 05-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephWebber View Post
Thanks for your reply.
I tried the Open With approach before and I could read the book but I got a "Reading metadata and adding to library" message as well.
Am I missing something?
It works fine for me. I choose Open with, Choose another app, and select "The calibre e-book viewer". The book opens. It is not added to my library.

I don't know why that doesn't work for you. Perhaps someone else does.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It works fine for me. I choose Open with, Choose another app, and select "The calibre e-book viewer". The book opens. It is not added to my library.

I don't know why that doesn't work for you. Perhaps someone else does.
It's something that Kovid added a while back, calibre,exe is added to the list of handlers for the ebook file types, it works something like this: Windows has a 'feature' of being able to nominate programs that Windows will offer in the Open With list for a file type, but if the existing default program disappears Windows will use the first one on the 'offer list' as the Default

As almost always Kovid has provided a solution

See WARNING-on PC Calibre takes over MANY file associations in particular Posts #27 and #38

I'm unsure if new installs register calibre in the Windows Default Programs list.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2021, 02:53 PM   #6
JosephWebber
Enthusiast

I have just bought a new PC and when I tried your suggestion on it it worked!
And now I have the additional benefit of the referenced fascinating thread.
Many thanks.