Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-01-2021, 07:45 AM   #1
vugie
vugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
Mainboard change problem - Touch Lux 3 / 626

Hi

I have PocketBook Touch Lux 3 (626). Some time ago it stopped to work (it was a process, but it's a different story) and everything seemed it was power supply section that was dead.
I bought another PB with broken screen with an intention to replace mainboard in mine. But it appeared it is slightly different: touch screen socket location is different (attached picture) and it was impossible to connect the flex there. But there were soldering pads in the old location, so I resoldered the socket (i checked that pads in both location are on the same lines).
PB has started, but the touch screen is not working. I suppose it is caused by different driver in the system. I tried to replace memory card with one from my original mainboard, but PB is not starting with it (screen is not even turning on). I suppose it is caused by device serial number check.

I see following possible solutions:
- to use the card from new mainboard and somehow replace the touch driver
- to use my original card overcome somehow serial number check

Am I right? What and how would you do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tl3.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	670.7 KB
ID:	186869  
vugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
vugie
vugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitvugie with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Succeed!
I compared both cards and found few differences between files. I started moving files one by one from the old card to the new one and finally following combination worked:
- deleting screen.cfg (not present on the old card)
- replacing hwconfig.upd
- copying 320_G110_AA9224_ED060XD4U2_TC.wbf
Advert
Old 05-02-2021, 12:18 PM   #3
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Glad you managed it. The 320_G110_AA9224_ED060XD4U2_TC.wbf was on the boot partition. I guess you replaced default.wbf too, which is the screen driver for your screen.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:41 PM   #4
vugie

I'm almost sure I didn't touch default.wbf (although they were different on both cards). But the screen was working (in terms of displaying things) just after mainboard replacement.
Would you suggest to replace default.wbf as well?
Old 05-02-2021, 08:18 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugie View Post
Succeed!
I compared both cards and found few differences between files. I started moving files one by one from the old card to the new one and finally following combination worked:
- deleting screen.cfg (not present on the old card)
- replacing hwconfig.upd
- copying 320_G110_AA9224_ED060XD4U2_TC.wbf
Amazing! I would have given up long before you did. Congratulations.

I've got a Touch Lux 3 (the older, heavier one) that I bought used. I like it a lot except the battery dies in a day (and I've even replaced the battery, did a poor job of it). It will still work for about a day if I charge it, but the back of the case has some popped "holders" now. I think the battery I replaced had already been replaced by the previous owner and that's why he sold it on eBay (because it still had a short battery life). I also think the majority the case damage was done by him.

If you live in the U.S. and want it for parts, let me know. The screen is still nice. I liked it (and its features) enough that I bought a PocketBook Touch HD3 — though I kind of like the feel an size of the old PocketBooks better. I also have the Russian version of the PB615, (non-touch screen) which I like a lot — the battery lasts forever on that one. The only reason I bought the Touch Lux 3 was because the Russian version of the "Basic Lux" (just called PB615 in Russia) didn't come with WiFi and I wanted to borrow and buy books directly with my eReader.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-02-2021 at 08:33 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2021, 02:06 AM   #6
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

default.wbf - I would replace it.
It is the default screen driver. I'm aware of about 4 different screens which are represented by *.wbf files (even the part name written on the ribbon is represented in the name of the wbf-file) in the boot partition. The only difference I'm aware f.i. between the pearl and the carta screen 626 variation was the different default.wbf. Even the mainboards are looking the same though they have different production dates. BTW on your mainboards pictures I could not see a difference. Regarding the touch: there are some firmware versions circulating that are only for calibrating the touch screen.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 05-03-2021 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #7
vugie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
default.wbf - I would replace it.
I did it and there is no spotable difference.
I noticed another effect. When I turn on the backlight and than off again, it doesn't go off completely. It does only after turning device off. It wasn't so with the previous board. Do you know on which file it may be dependent on? I tried replacing vcom file (it contains single negative integer in plain text), but nothing has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
BTW on your mainboards pictures I could not see a difference.
Look below touch screen ribbon
Board on the left is already after moving its socket (indicated by arrow).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros
Amazing! I would have given up long before you did. Congratulations.
Actually I was lucky - it was the third combination I tried.
Before my TL3 died completely it was also draining the battery faster and faster. I thought initially it is just the battery, but its replacement didn't help. Later I measured its voltage while it is connected. It was 4V when fully charged, but after few attempts to turn PB on it was dropping suddenly to 0.3V. So the root cause is evidently somewhere in power supply section and it is what killed the battery.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:52 AM   #8
marektux
marektux began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Can you please share PB626-1.9 SD card image? I have the same board but without working SD card. I have tried to recover SD card using sw_20160524_PB626_5.14.340.7z image and than by replacing serial number and .freezestatus file. Device boots up (manual firmware update is possible) but touch screen does not work so i'm stuck on language setup screen. I think the SD card image that i'm using is for PB626-1.6 with ED060XD4U2 screen. And PB626-1.9 is using ED060XH7 screen.
I would like to compare the cards and move different files to my card. Thank you.
marektux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:14 AM   #9
vugie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marektux View Post
Can you please share PB626-1.9 SD card image?
Here they are. I didn't made full image, just copied files from boot partition. 8gb is from the left mainboard in my picture, 4gb is from the right one. I can make full images if you need.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 4gb.zip (7.24 MB, 282 views)
File Type: zip 8gb.zip (7.30 MB, 317 views)
Old 05-05-2021, 07:58 AM   #10
nhedgehog
Guru

Sorry, I don't know any file which is responsible for the light not going out completely, never had it before.
Just some explanations regarding the wbf files (as I understand them).
Those are screendriver and only the default.wbf is used by the system. Changing for instance V220_C189_WR7801_ED060XC3C1_TC.wbf into default.wbf is telling the system to use this one. Every wbf file has the compatible screen hardcoded into it, just look at it with an hexeditor. So if the ribbon cable on the screen shows f.i. ED060XC3 (LF)T1-00, the chances are very hight, that renaming the file V220_C189_WR7801_ED060XC3C1_TC.wbf into default.wbf gives you the right driver. The example shown on the picture I attached though might need a driver with a C172 in it.
The VCOM files are for finetuning the screen. For this you need extra equipment.

Edit:
If only one wbf file is in the boot folder, it will be used, if more, default.wbf normally is used. Screendriver and touchdriver can be used via different wbf file. This is defined in screen.cfg f.i.
TOUCH=XH7
SCREEN=XD4
PS: Good job with the soldering, nicely done!
PPS: Those are the screen&touchscreendriver I've seen so far for the PB626:
320_G110_AA9224_ED060XD4U2_TC.wbf
320_R069_AD8A01_ED060XH7U2_TC.wbf
V220_C133_WR9401_ED060XC3H2_TC.wbf
V220_C189_WR7801_ED060XC3C1_TC.wbf
V220_C201_WR9701_ED060XC3H2_TC.wbf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_Ribbon.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	186945  

Last edited by nhedgehog; 05-05-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #11
nhedgehog
Guru

@marektux:
Try the default.wbf from the 8GB image above it is the same as 320_R069_AD8A01_ED060XH7U2_TC.wbf
Old 05-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #12
marektux
marektux began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
@vugie, @nhedgehog thank you for valuable inputs.
To sum it up for other that might be reviving Touch Lux 3 / 626 hw revision PB626-1.9 without having original SD card.
HW revision 1.9 is using ELAN touch controller and this can be found on its LCD sticker

ED060XH7
U1-50
LET60G7004/(G120)
EJ8509C01R7A0113

Firstly create new SD card (sw_20160524_PB626_5.14.340.7z is only available firmware dump I'm aware of).
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=93

Highlights and addition to original guide:
- Before formatting first partition (mkfs -t vfat /dev/sde1) make sure you unplug and plug SD card to be sure that operating system will be working with latest partitioning table.
- At the end of the process plug in SD card once more and replace content of the first partition with content from 8gb.zip https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1620205846. Some files will be new, some are the same and some are different. I replaced all files just to be sure that i'm close to genuine firmware for PB626-1.9. sw_20160524_PB626_5.14.340.7z is probably from PB626-1.6 (4gb.zip is also from PB626-1.6 but contains more files it is newer).

8gb.zip contains default.wbf and waveform.wbf and those files matches 320_R069_AD8A01_ED060XH7U2_TC.wbf as pointed by @nhedgehog. Maybe they call it just waveform.wbf and not 20_R069_AD8A01_ED060XH7U2_TC.wbf because they are lazy or it was their latest and greatest screen before next HW revision so they did not named it properly.

Without using content from 8gb.zip the touch screen is not working.

It is possible to perform manual firmware update sw_20170718_626_W_5.14_1225_5.12_CI_gdb_pn_630_use r.zip. This update is the oldest still available package on pocket book support page.

I'm not heavy pocket book user thus i could not provide reliable feedback but all seems to be working correctly.
marektux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:26 AM   #13
biokomiker
biokomiker began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 626
Transfer SD card from PB626 v1.9 to v1.6

The SD card from the PB626 v1.6 (4 GB) became non-functional. I still had a v1.9 device with broken screen and moved the 8GB card to the v1.6 board.

At first the touchscreen did not work at all. I transferred a firmware file to SD card and initiated manually a firmware update to 5.14.1225. During update some funny messages about voltage settings were visible but if I remember correctly the update aborted anyway.

Now the reader appears to be fully functional again.

However, yesterday I tried to update to the new version which is 5.20.1157 in order to be able to root the device.

The update aborted. The last messages were:

Quote:
Running update code ...
Waveform already 320_G110_AA9224_ED060XD4U2_TC

Update failed
The device will turn off in a few seconds
Any ideas which files from the defunct SD card to transfer to the v1.9 card?
I do find the corresponding wave form file on the defunct SD-card.

I damaged the slot of the SD card slightly so I have to glue the card into the slot. Thus not so easy to assemble and disassemble ...

Any suggestions what to try first are welcome!
biokomiker is offline   Reply With Quote