Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 04-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Running from source: Abnormal shutdown?

Sometimes after running from source to test the new features and switching back to the stable version, Job Spy complains that Calibre was not shut down properly and turns off all my custom tag browser icons. Any idea why this would happen?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:05 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Sometimes after running from source to test the new features and switching back to the stable version, Job Spy complains that Calibre was not shut down properly and turns off all my custom tag browser icons. Any idea why this would happen?
No idea. I think that DaltonST needs to chime in as he knows what triggers that message. You might need to ask the question on the Job Spy thread.

You could of course not switch back. I don't unless running from source doesn't work because of incompatibilities between binary releases, which happens once in a blue moon. There isn't a significant performance difference.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2021, 07:06 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I noticed DaltonST hasn't been on for a few months. I reported a bug in Audit Log close to a month ago that usually would've been fixed by now.

I usually use stable because I have a tendency to close the console window without thinking which then closes Calibre...

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-04-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:12 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I usually use stable because I have a tendency to close the console window without thinking which then closes Calibre...
I have done that.

Killing the console, therefore calibre, *is* an abnormal calibre shutdown. Could that explain what you are seeing?
Old 04-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

That would make sense yeah.
Advert
Old 04-05-2021, 12:10 PM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Also, is it expected that any use of 'restart' (either from the menu or installing plugins) just shuts it down?
Old 04-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Also, is it expected that any use of 'restart' (either from the menu or installing plugins) just shuts it down?
Shuts what down?
Old 04-05-2021, 01:12 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If you mean that 'Restart' shuts down calibre normally but it doesn't restart then yes, that is expected behavior. Hit up-arrow then return in the dos box to run calibre again.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:20 PM   #9
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Yeah, it doesn't open back up until I run the batch file again.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Also, I just figured out that I could use my minimize-to-tray shell extension and hide the console, which drastically reduces accidental closures.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-05-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #11
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Also, I just figured out that I could use my minimize-to-tray shell extension and hide the console, which drastically reduces accidental closures.
I created a .bat file with this code:
Code:
@echo off
set CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM=path\to\calibre\src
start calibre
I put this bat on Documents folder, and made a shortcut for it on my Desktop. In this shortcut, you can right click and go to Properties > Run > Minimized.

This way you won't have a console window.
thiago.eec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:14 AM   #12
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You could of course not switch back. I don't unless running from source doesn't work because of incompatibilities between binary releases, which happens once in a blue moon. There isn't a significant performance difference.
I find it way slower when opening a book on the Viewer or the Editor. If I recollect correctly, Kovid said the code is compiled on the fly in this case, which makes it slower.
As for calibre itself, it seems to work just like the normal installation.
thiago.eec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:28 PM   #13
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I did notice opening a book was slower too.