Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I'm looking for something to help keep track of sources. Any suggestions?

I would like to be able to check sources on my Mac, and when I find something relevant to an ongoing project, easily create a link from a project page to the appropriate page of the appropriate file.

I get awful migraines from flashing and certain other animation. So apps which have a lot of animation ar out, and ones where notes scroll separately from the project page/window, or different columns scroll separately within the same project page/window, aren't going to work.

I have tried Pdfoo, but ran into a lot of animation, and couldn't get it to work, and Growly Notes, but again ran into a lot of animation.

For writing, I use a Mac Mini, with MacOS 10.14.6. Current writing software is either NeoOffice or LibreOffice. Current organization software is Calibre, with a number of custom columns to keep track of relevance to my projects. I'd previously used Blik, but that requires moving files to organize them so won't work with Calibre. Current reading software on my Mac is Clearview the reading software. Which is unrelated to the surveillance software. It has its own database for bookmarks, so it doesn't reprocess the original file, but it doesn't help me organize bookmarks by project, and it slows down if I have too many bookmarks.

For reading away from the computer, I've found a few different tools but prefer either the Kindle 5 for mobi or Kindle Dx for pre-processed pdf.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:15 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I would like to be able to check sources on my Mac, and when I find something relevant to an ongoing project, easily create a link from a project page to the appropriate page of the appropriate file.

I get awful migraines from flashing and certain other animation. So apps which have a lot of animation ar out, and ones where notes scroll separately from the project page/window, or different columns scroll separately within the same project page/window, aren't going to work.

I have tried Pdfoo, but ran into a lot of animation, and couldn't get it to work, and Growly Notes, but again ran into a lot of animation.

For writing, I use a Mac Mini, with MacOS 10.14.6. Current writing software is either NeoOffice or LibreOffice. Current organization software is Calibre, with a number of custom columns to keep track of relevance to my projects. I'd previously used Blik, but that requires moving files to organize them so won't work with Calibre. Current reading software on my Mac is Clearview the reading software. Which is unrelated to the surveillance software. It has its own database for bookmarks, so it doesn't reprocess the original file, but it doesn't help me organize bookmarks by project, and it slows down if I have too many bookmarks.

For reading away from the computer, I've found a few different tools but prefer either the Kindle 5 for mobi or Kindle Dx for pre-processed pdf.
Marja?

Didn't we have a discussion about this, sourcing and tracking them/it, like...IDK, a year or so back, here on MR? A similar request? Do you recall?

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Didn't we have a discussion about this, sourcing and tracking them/it, like...IDK, a year or so back, here on MR? A similar request? Do you recall?
This discussion?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Hi, issy:

Yes, that one and I believe that there was in fact another, also about sourcing notes. (Perhaps. Might have been about typing requirements.)

In any event, if memory serves with MarjaE's requests, due to her very specific requirements, nobody has ever been able to aid her. Not for notes sourcing, or any other questions around specialized software/uses.

Certainly, it would be great if someone, anyone, had a solution for this for her. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:21 PM   #5
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Yes.

I'm not sure whether to revive old threads or start new ones.

My ideal solution would create a project page which links to relevant pages of relevant files. So as I'm reading something realize this would be useful to another project I'd like to work on, I could open that project and create a link to that page.

I tried a couple apps, couldn't use them due to animation. I tried using url links. If I embedded them in rich text, I could open folders thast way, but not specific files, and if I used them in Terminal, I could open files but not specific pages with my current software. I probably could with Linux software such as Evince.

My current solution is to export relevant pages into a "bookmarks" folder for each project.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2021, 08:32 PM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
It did occur to me that this thread might have been relevant, but it didn't really go anywhere either. The reason why it could have been relevant is that at least on e-ink devices you would be safe from animation.

It can be difficult enough finding good special purpose software that suits your own preferences without also having special accessibility requirements. But I'm afraid I've about exhausted all my suggests in previous posts.

OT: Some online applications drive me absolutely bat... with their excesses. There are a few I have to use for work that I think are appalling, and I keep wanting to scream at these people: what the <bleep> was wrong with email, or a simple forum (like MR )? I don't need the flashing lights, and myriad windows and tabs and context sensitive this that and the other trying to second guess what I want for lunch. Just cut to the chase and get on with the job! Ahhh!!!!

... and that's without special needs!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
research tools, writing