Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2020, 02:05 PM   #16
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
I dug mine out from the crawlspace last year and to my surprise it still powered on. I did have to order a mini USB cable to charge it though but otherwise, it's still a very usable reader despite having no touch screen. There was an update Sony put out years ago that allowed them to read epubs and improved text clarity.

Ended up giving it away to a friend as I already have a Kindle and a Kobo. It made me realize that e-readers almost never become obsolete. At the end of the day, it's just a a device for displaying black text on a white background. The rest is just bells and whistles.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
I dug mine out from the crawlspace last year and to my surprise it still powered on. I did have to order a mini USB cable to charge it though but otherwise, it's still a very usable reader despite having no touch screen. There was an update Sony put out years ago that allowed them to read epubs and improved text clarity.

Ended up giving it away to a friend as I already have a Kindle and a Kobo. It made me realize that e-readers almost never become obsolete. At the end of the day, it's just a a device for displaying black text on a white background. The rest is just bells and whistles.
Actually, they do become obsolete. Kindle's that cannot handle KF8 are obsolete. All Sony Readers except the T3 are obsolete because they do not support a new enough RMSDK that has hyphenation. Only the T3 has an RMSDK that supports hyphenation.

While is may not be the hardware, the software can make the Reader obsolete.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2020, 03:50 AM   #18
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
The use of Calibre and conversion of files can keep devices in use as long as you happy to do so.
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:58 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort1997 View Post
The use of Calibre and conversion of files can keep devices in use as long as you happy to do so.
I didn't say you could not use them. Just that they are obsolete. The reading experience with some of these old Readers is not all that good. For example, the K1 & K2. You cannot embed fonts in Mobi. You cannot use side loaded fonts. The fonts that are part of the firmware do not have enough weight. Mobi has no hyphenation. So overall, not a good reading experience.

Sony (505) LRF with simulated italics is not good unless you embed fonts. Left justified ePub is not all that good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #20
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then go get your ideal Reader. It exists. You want a Kobo Libra H2O or a Kobo Forma with both buttons and a touch screen.
Or a Kindle Oasis. I go about 80/20 to maybe 87/13 touch/buttons but I really like having both options.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2021, 11:37 PM   #21
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
My old 505 has an SD card and masses of books which I put on it. The only problem I have with the reader is the lack of a frontlight. This wasn't a problem at my former house. But I moved in 2013 to a house with dimmer lighting (which I still haven't sorted out). This was when I bought the PW3.

So it's hard to read on the 505 now; it really needs good ambient light. I still use it as a book repository, in that I take books from it, put them onto my computer and into Calibre, convert them and put them on my kindles. The only format which gives me hassle is lrx. These will need to be read on the 505.

So it still has some uses. Shame about the lack of lighting, though.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #22
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
Sony make cases for their devices so there's sure to have been one with a light for your PRS-505. If you keep looking on ebay something will turn up.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote